ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re mapped the 1.2 :)

Fiesta ST-2
I remember a story my grandad told me when I was younger about a guy who invented a car that could run on hydrogen that mysteriously disappeared, mind you there's similar stories about a man who invented a machine that cures cancer. Conspiracy theories ftw.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
how the hell do you custom remap a car a rolling road.....where does he get is lambda values from?

I custom map cars without a rolling road very frequently, although for some things you do need a rolling road for most of the map you dont.

However in this case it will NOT be a custom map, it will just be an off the shelf file they have installed.

I bet they didnt even fit a wideband on his car, all they will have done is:
Drive the vehicle to make sure no obvious faults, no management light no splutters etc
Connect upto the ODB, read off his file.
Merge his vehicle identity information from that file into their off the shelf modified file.
Flash the new file.
Test drive to make sure its ok.

NOTHING wrong with that at all, works fine and in fact some of the systems I use we do exactly that as well, but its NOT a "custom map" and its wrong to make the customer think it is IMHO.

It is a BIG step up from not doing the merge and just throwing on a generic file that has all the immobiliser information removed etc like some companies out there do.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you really do sound like a bit of a plank.

If this technology was so good, OEM's would be running it in every car by now. NO questions.

Just because something's available as a franchise, doesn't mean it's any good.

I was not talking about the hydrogen as a franchise, you can become a remapper through them

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
I custom map cars without a rolling road very frequently, although for some things you do need a rolling road for most of the map you dont.

However in this case it will NOT be a custom map, it will just be an off the shelf file they have installed.

I bet they didnt even fit a wideband on his car, all they will have done is:
Drive the vehicle to make sure no obvious faults, no management light no splutters etc
Connect upto the ODB, read off his file.
Merge his vehicle identity information from that file into their off the shelf modified file.
Flash the new file.
Test drive to make sure its ok.

NOTHING wrong with that at all, works fine and in fact some of the systems I use we do exactly that as well, but its NOT a "custom map" and its wrong to make the customer think it is IMHO.

It is a BIG step up from not doing the merge and just throwing on a generic file that has all the immobiliser information removed etc like some companies out there do.

This is exactly what I had done and I'm happy with the results. Even haggled the price down lol

Look them up. They are on google. They don't advertise the hydrogen though. As most innovators have been killed strangely enough...

They said you will see a big economy boost and a bit more power. No extra kit required. It basically increases the burn rate of fuel so instead of only using 70 per cent of the fuel it uses 100 per cent.
as it uses all the fuel there is no waste at the other end! Each kit is custom made to each car this guy is the real deal. A submarine engineer in a former life!

Why does this make him suitable? He talks out of his arse and sounds like he just brought an RSTuner with him.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah the inventor of Hydrogen. Always wondered who he was.

There must be more people out there like the OP, I think it's worth 1k investment.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
As I've said before, I don't understand the technology at all. It just looked like a good idea. The blokes are both sound. They were at modified mania if anyone went

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is exactly what I had done and I'm happy with the results. Even haggled the price down lol

Then you do NOT have a "custom map" you have a generic off the shelf remap and I would wager that the person who put it onto your car probably is just an installer and doesnt actually know anything about the actual remapping.

Again, nothing actually wrong with that, if they are honest.

Some of the stuff I do is just flashes of maps that other people have created, some of it is maps I write totally from scratch, and some of it is a bit of a mishmash of the two where I will use someone elses map but tweaked to suit a particular application.

I would imagine judging by the pseudo technical blurb all over that companies website, that they have a pretty limited amount of knowledge TBH, but so long as you are happy thats all that matters :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
As I've said before, I don't understand the technology at all. It just looked like a good idea. The blokes are both sound. They were at modified mania if anyone went

I bet you they were very sound mate.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i hear ebay electric superchargers are the only upgrade you can get from here!

but you might need another remap and some more water!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PMSL at Hydrogen Injection. Do you get a button which you can press too soon junior as well?

Once he started spouting that crap I'd have sent him packing. Tbh I wouldn't have had it mapped on my drive, I'd have got it on some rollers and got it done properly.

Just because a car is on the rollers doesnt mean its done properly.

The key thing is the knowledge of the person mapping the car, not where they do it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I only skimmed the first post, but I assume by the replies this is another golden thread?

What's the story?

Not really TBH.

Someone flash mapped his car, sounds to have done a reasonable job of it.

Mentioned something to the OP about "hydrogen injection" is how the OP is remembering it, as something else that could be done to his car, OP then vaguely repeats that on here. Few people CS bash him, thats about it.

Oh and the guy apparently must be good at remapping cars, cause he used to work on submarines.

53 Clio's & counting
Not really TBH.

Mentioned something to the OP about "hydrogen injection" is how the OP is remembering it, as something else that could be done to his car, OP then vaguely repeats that on here. Few people CS bash him, thats about it.

Oh and the guy apparently must be good at remapping cars, cause he used to work on submarines.

Flol at the submarine thing.

As Chip has said, I would like to think it has done more than modify how much th ethrottle opens, but no way to find that out now, I just hope the genuinly didn't sell it as a custom map.

But as said, if it feels better to drive and keeps you happy thats the important bit.

OP, how much was this map if you don't mind me asking? I just hope it wasn't a rip off company

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
Not really TBH.

That is the funniest thing I've read on here!

The guy was a mechanical engineer in the navy. People can bash if they like but from what I saw it looked pretty innovative. Why can't the average guy do it first, does it always have to be a big manufacturer?

He's trying to get the information out there and doing the maps is earning him enough to do that.

My map was sent to radical remaps who either manually or electronically adjusted the tolerances based on the wear of my engine. In that sense my map is unique. But I get what people are saying.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
Flol at the submarine thing.

As Chip has said, I would like to think it has done more than modify how much th ethrottle opens, but no way to find that out now, I just hope the genuinly didn't sell it as a custom map.

But as said, if it feels better to drive and keeps you happy thats the important bit.

OP, how much was this map if you don't mind me asking? I just hope it wasn't a rip off company

I got the price down to 190 but a turbo is 249 as there are more tolerances to adjust

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What equipment did he use to measure the wear on your engine so it could be adjusted to suit your particular car then?

Flol at the rubbish some punters will believe.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
What equipment did he use to measure the wear on your engine so it could be adjusted to suit your particular car then?

Flol at the rubbish some punters will believe.

Bore scope, old skool wooden ruler (measuring in inches), some eyesight jiggery pokery and.... lets not forget.....

MAPPERS MAGIC MIND SKILLS

53 Clio's & counting
That is the funniest thing I've read on here!

The guy was a mechanical engineer in the navy. People can bash if they like but from what I saw it looked pretty innovative. Why can't the average guy do it first, does it always have to be a big manufacturer?

He's trying to get the information out there and doing the maps is earning him enough to do that.

My map was sent to radical remaps who either manually or electronically adjusted the tolerances based on the wear of my engine. In that sense my map is unique. But I get what people are saying.

Matey, Chip (as well as other things) maps cars for a living, so he generally has more knowledge than most - No one is denying the chap who mapped yours is not a knowlegable chap - but saying he used to be a submarine engineer has NO bearing on anything.

It generally is a large manufacturer who finds these things out first, rather than your average guy is because manufacturers have (in our terms at least) a 'skys the limit' budget on development - do you think if such an improvement could be made with no sided effects for a sensible outlay that a major main stream manufacturer would have done it by now?

Also, on the note of your map being sent to Radical maps, the map on your car is a gineric OEM map, the same on every other 1.2 Clio same model as yours - them sending over your map will give no indication on how worn your engine is as

None of this is meant in a nasty way, just wanting you to realise what has been said to you is not accurate

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The guy was a mechanical engineer in the navy.

So am I, I have to be able to strip down, repair and rebuild engines. Doesn't mean I'm going to be any good at mapping an ECU. In fact, where I work we're not supposed to touch the electric side of things.

It seems he's strung you along tbh.

02 1.2 Dynamique
Sound like a pointless exercise, should of spent the money on maybe parts that you can actually get a return on, or use in the future, such as wheels, suspension,rarb etc

02 1.2 Dynamique
Skipped a few posts, but for them to accommodate your map wont they have to RR it along with testing fuel mixtures etc. I dont think many mobile mappers can do this hahaha! It also takes hours of testing normally. I know Chip even though hes a bit of a c**t will tell you this.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perfectly possible to tailor a map without a rolling road to see good improvements. Extracting the last couple of bhp you will need rollers for but a wide bad will allow you to get the fuelling pretty much perfect on the road. On an n/a car where it's not knock limited though you will always needs rollers to finish off the ignition, although if you have accurate enough data logging you can get extremely close on the road.
One thing I don't agree with is mapping only on rollers tbh, should always be at least checked on the road as you can't predict the effects of airflow using a rolling road fan.
So if you really want it spot on IMHO you need both.