ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling noise at certain revs?

2001 Clio 1.2
Hey i have had this problem since i got the car, but it hasn't really been bothering me until now, as it's rather annoying and just sounds horrible. It happens at around 1500RPM and only then weirdly and i have a funny feeling it may be the heat shield from a bit of research i have done into it, but if anybody knows of other things it may be then please do help.

Thanks.

172 Cup
Sounds like heat shield to me, get under it and give the tin foil a wiggle*:)*mine used to make a horrible noise but I managed to bend it away where it was touching, problem solved

Clio mk2 ph1 "S"
i have this too but at about 2500 rpm, im hoping its the shielding but got a feeling its the cat finally on its way out. only one way to find out

Sunflower Ph1 172
from the rear of the car, or the engine... first thing that popped into mind was depasher. Bit depends on the noise, heatshield is common, just bend it away. The rear ones come loose, so you can just rip them off if they really annoy you. Another to check is that the bolt that holds the alternator on is tight. I've had two cars where this has come loose, I thought it was the depaser until the alternator came loose.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Try leaning over the engine and revving it (if it's ph2 cable throttle) or ask a friend to rev it whilst you have a look around. If it's from the engine, likely it's dephaser as it kicks in at 1400rpm. if not then it'll be the heat sheild, they rattle all hte time as it's a tight squeeze.

Clio RS 182
just had a new exhaust put on, its defiently comin from the front end though

When you say new exhaust, do you mean OEM? and cat-back?

It could be the baffles in the resonator.

As daft as this may sound, take it to your local kwik-fit and ask them to check it, they should pop it straight on the ramps and have a good butchers for you, this is what I did after taking it many places and kwik fit (to my surprise) were the only ones that diagnosed the problem.

But then again it might of just been a good kwik fit lol.

2001 Clio 1.2
Mines coming from the front i'm pretty sure, already checked the heatshield at the back and its fine, did try looking around while a mate revved at about 1500rmp where it start's rattling but no luck. Where's the resonator, if the rattle was in the resonator is it possible to sort the rattle out?

Do Kwik fit charge you just to ask them to check it out too?

2001 Clio 1.2
Mines coming from the front i'm pretty sure, already checked the heatshield at the back and its fine, did try looking around while a mate revved at about 1500rmp where it start's rattling but no luck. Where's the resonator, if the rattle was in the resonator is it possible to sort the rattle out?&nbsp;<br><br>Do Kwik fit charge you just to ask them to check it out too?

And where's the depasher found aswell is it all near the front of the car?

Clio RS 182
Mines coming from the front i'm pretty sure, already checked the heatshield at the back and its fine, did try looking around while a mate revved at about 1500rmp where it start's rattling but no luck. Where's the resonator, if the rattle was in the resonator is it possible to sort the rattle out?

Do Kwik fit charge you just to ask them to check it out too?

resonator is the centre silencer of the exhaust. No, kwik fit will not charge you for checking mate

172/1.2/E30
Mines coming from the front i'm pretty sure, already checked the heatshield at the back and its fine, did try looking around while a mate revved at about 1500rmp where it start's rattling but no luck. Where's the resonator, if the rattle was in the resonator is it possible to sort the rattle out?&nbsp;<br><br>Do Kwik fit charge you just to ask them to check it out too?

And where's the depasher found aswell is it all near the front of the car?

Non-sports don´t have dephasers.

If it's the rear of the car, my rattles have been:

1) Heatshield - very common.
2) Search 2k or "3k rattle" - you'll find that quite a few people have had retaining cups in the cat to manifold assembly disintergrate causing the bolt/spring/nut/assembly to rattle like hell at it's resonant frquency (1.5k to 3k) To quote Martin Brundle on another Renault it "sounds like a bag of nails" :p

Try slamming the boot. If the heatshield is loose it will probably rattle. If the cat to manifold assembly is ok it will not rattle when you slam the boot... though the heatshield will probably still be loose. It's not the easiest bit to get to without jacking the car up but you should be able to poke the manifold to cat spring and see if it moves.

Clio RS 182
This problem could also be the join where the cat meets the cat back, mine has started rattling so bad, It sounds like its coming from the back and centre.

A mechanic diagnosed this from tightening up the clamp, which was temporary as it has now come back, the clamp has corroded really badly so I've oredered a new one from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayIS...120720634274&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123) which apparently is a much better clamp. When changing the clamps over I'm going to apply plenty of High Temperature Silicone Sealant to the joint (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_173139_langId_-1_categoryId_165691)

182cup & 172 racecar
It actually boils my blood when this happens.

I've even PM'd people before to ask and say it would be nice to know the outcome.

2001 Clio 1.2
Im having it looked at on Saturday, my mate works at a garage so hopefully i'll find out what is making the noise it's getting rather aggravating now :mad:

2001 Clio 1.2
Ah hope not, although knowing my luck recently it probably will be.

Another thing i have noticed is that now for example if i go to around 3000 revs and put the clutch down or just put my foot off the accelerator so that the revs decrease, another rattle noise occurs when around 2000 revs, it only happens when the revs are decreasing though, but not as noticeable or loud as the main rattle noise. Hopefully i should find out what is causing this on saturday too, will just have to see what happens :dapprove:

2001 Clio 1.2
Right that ear bleeding rattle is no more :approve: Took it to my mates garage, and took about a hour of looking to find the cause, at first we saw that one of the exhaust clamps had gone, replaced it, noise still there. Then we found a heat shield really loose by the engine, took it out, still no good. Eventually found the exhaust heat shield under the engine hidden away, bent it away and presto.