ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rare Turbo Clio

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Very poor conversion imo i'm not knocking the the 5 engine but whats the point in pulling out an engine that run injection and putting a 20 year push rod carb engine in it

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ziel Nurburgring
Not seen it before on the Mk2's, have seen it on loads of Mk1's. As said, must have been a conversion from a base model and probably used what was to hand or cheapest.

Wouldnt have bothered personally, but there arent many ready turbo'd options about.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
almarsden said:
I'm guessing it started life as a 1.2 8v expression...

expression is a 16v, authentique is a 8v (unless you get 8v expressions too? mine is a 16v though)

from the look of it the engine is completely standard so not that fast especially in a heavyer car with 17s to be honest if he wanted a turbo he would have been better going for a starlet gtt lump, more reliable

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
R20GRC said:
in my eyes that's probably the cheapest option for big power gains.

a 172 conversion probably wouldnt have cost much more and atleast thats a reliable 170bhp plus

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
£1.5k+ vat for 172 running parts including brakes suspension etc. so its much better value so long as you don't have to fit it.
5GTT engiens arn't unreliable people just don't build them or tune them right.
4 pots off a GTt humm err the 5GTT runs standard brakes not 4 pots.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5GTT engine shouldbe rebuilt as its old and fixing its a problme if its in best have it rebuilt when its fitted.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
No they are unreliable they might be reliable standard but i've got 4 mates who own 5's and there not young badboys one of them is nearly 40 and there all on the RTOC,and there always having to mess with them your always gonna have problems when running a carb cause its unacurate fueling,one of them has just converted it to injection so we'll see how that one goes

Daz

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, If I had one, I'd convert to Injection too.. but as far as I know, it's not a cheap thing to do?

I was looking at 5GTT in my 1.2.. but I ended up buying a Williams instead - it worked out much better because I'd HAVE to mod the 5GTT to get it up to Williams pace anyway.. and it started getting expensive :p

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the highest bid on this at the mo, not bidded much though so its ok lol.
What kinda pace do you think this would be upto? I guess it'd probably be close to a 1.6 16v Clio??

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Daz said:
Yea, If I had one, I'd convert to Injection too.. but as far as I know, it's not a cheap thing to do?

I was looking at 5GTT in my 1.2.. but I ended up buying a Williams instead - it worked out much better because I'd HAVE to mod the 5GTT to get it up to Williams pace anyway.. and it started getting expensive :p
i think its cost my mate about a grand he's using a mega squirt ecu

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Twingo RS133 & 172
ShaunR16v said:
I've got the highest bid on this at the mo, not bidded much though so its ok lol.
What kinda pace do you think this would be upto? I guess it'd probably be close to a 1.6 16v Clio??

A standard gt turbo cant beat a 1.6 16v clio as I raced my mates one and it was suprisingly slower same as a punto gt as well.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
richard691 said:
A standard gt turbo cant beat a 1.6 16v clio as I raced my mates one and it was suprisingly slower same as a punto gt as well.

The 5 was slower than a 1.6 Clio? Im assuming the Clio was quite heavily played with then? I thought the 1.6 16v's 0-60 time was somewhere around 9.5 to 10 secs? I know the GTT's run out of puff at higher speeds, but anything upto about 80mph and i'd have thought a standard 5Gtt would p!ss all over the Clio :S

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
richard691 said:

sorry mate ur talking b****cks.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  A silver Honda
^^agreed lol

They both have the same horsepower (120 bhp) but the GTT weighs f**k all! 8v engines also have more torque usually.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Clart said:
sorry mate ur talking b****cks.

Dont think so mate, beat it fair and square and he was thraping the b****cks out of the r5 gt turbo, unless its something to do with the turbo lag.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
richard691 said:
Dont think so mate, beat it fair and square and he was thraping the b****cks out of the r5 gt turbo, unless its something to do with the turbo lag.

tbh the gtt must have been runnnig badly - in good tune they are very capable little cars, and as said they weight sweet fa !
Standard they are low 7's to 60.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
richard691 said:

must have been shafted then. I had a slightly tuned GT, and my misses currently has a 1.6 16v. They're in a totally differnt league

J

jamesy

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
having owned a 5 tubs in the past i cant understand why anybody would want to put a shitty old unreliable engine in a car as new as that which has a new low milege lump in it to start off with?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  mk1 172
i wouldnt question clart's knowledge on reno 5's, he knows his stuff dude.
if clart says they would beat a 1.6 then i would believe it...sorry matey.
the 5 you 'raced' was obviously pooped !