ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rack - sloshing noise, normal?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
With the engine off, lying underneath if I move the wheels from side to side there is lot of sloshing noise in the steering rack. Is that normal, I thought the valves inside the rack would stop the fluid sloshing about?

dan's cast offs.
can just be the fluid moving, i've had a few that sound awful when you move them from a road wheel but are fine when pump is running. also have found you can also create slop/play if you move a wheel sided t side quickly, think it just cavitates the fluid or 'pushes it back'?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Cheers for that, I'm trying to narrow down the cause of the poor handling. All bushes are new, plus tie rods and joints etc hence I suspect the rack's past its best. The column has some play so I thought I'd change them both.

dan's cast offs.
yet to find one that has needed a rack itself changing unless it's accident damaged. play in column will make it feel awful though.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Top stuff, buddy. No accident damage so I'll change the column and see then how it feels. The engine is coming out as it's having another 'box on it, plus belts need doing and a few other jobs that justify an engine lift out.