ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RACELAND COILOVER DISCUSSION THREAD

Freetrack&Monaco 172
^^^^^ did it rub on the arches when driving of flat road?

No, certainly not at the back at all and only fractionally when decelerating and turning when approaching roundabouts at the front. I maybe heard it twice and while I was out and about, probably crossed a dozen at least during the evening.

That may increase as the springs settle and bed in.......but I rarely carry more than 1 passenger. Will keep you updated ;)

172 with k-tec sound
some good reviews there;), yes it was a question that needed answering as i regulary have passengers, wife in passenger seat and child in back, but he's only eight and very slight so i dont think it will make too much diffrence, also i have the k tec supersports reessed exhaust, which me n da fitted, and it dosent have a centre section just straight thru to the back box, so i dont think there will be any issues there, just had delays with garage getting these fitted but deffo getting done this weekend with me n da;), weather permitting.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Mine are starting to stiffen a little already I think (could be wrong though).

Still very impressed, really do with a proper setup though as I think the front cambers are a little uneven so it feels happier going round corners to the right than it does the left. Still fantastic compared to standard dampers/uprated springs. And for the same price as a full set of new standard Cup dampers. Very happy with my choice.

With just me in the car/me and the missus mine is currently puurrrrrrrfect with regards to the ride-height, no scrubbing, speedbumps are fine............all good! My country roads drive to work was very entertaining, even at normal/slightly quick speeds. Takes a bit of getting used to with the obvious lack of body roll........it just seems to glide round corners.

Please bear in mind I have never owned a car on coilovers before so I dont really have any experience with comparisons to other brands. Saying that they have knocked my socks off so far though and are exactly what I wanted: uprated from standards, not too stiff and ability to lower the car to how low I wanted the car to look. I think people who want lower at the back might want to look at other options. There is plenty (I'm talking another approx 50mm at least below where the spring seats are sat on mine) of thread to lower the fronts even more, but I dont think the front of the car would last long going much much lower. (the -70mm sales spec seems a little frugle)

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^^^ totally agree.

the front has so much more travel its insane, if i lowered it fully the wheel would come through the bonnet!

but yes for handling they are the best value for money imo, only test now is to see how long they last before problems occur.... if problems occur, if they dont go wrong they are bargain of the year, fact.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
I've done 4k on mine now and still feel fine. :)

thats good to hear, if we call first to 24000 miles or first to have them on 2 years. this is a good guage of build quality.

you are 16% there so hopfully in a year or so this thread will be reopened with someone saying how there raceland coilovers are still going strong and all the haters who said they were cheap pap and would break after 5 minutes were wrong.

in the meantime, i cant get over how much better the back of my car looks, i used to hate the back end...

you can just about see my prospeed zorst but camera is iphone so.....

IMG_0104.jpg

Ph 1 172
just out of interest are these covered under warrenty not sure if they were or not from ktec? and if so did anyone recieve any paper work to say so?

172 Cup
Fitted one front strut and two rears tonight before I ran out of light, and shearing one of the rear bolts at bottom of the shocks. Helicoil time tomorrow!

Had a thought when I was doing the rear that seems feasable. Recon it would be ok to remove the rotating collar that is on the thread on the rear supports and put the springs on without the collar to get it a wee bit lower? Can't see aproblem with doing this!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I changed my discs, pads and flexi hoses today, but I was greeted by two issues....CV grease all over the inside of one wheel and........one possible leaking rear shocker (I originally thought the wobbly back end was from a slow puncture that I hadn't noticed, but now I am thinking differently).

Looks like mine are going on tomorrow.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
just out of interest are these covered under warrenty not sure if they were or not from ktec? and if so did anyone recieve any paper work to say so?

hold on this guy has a point, i didnt get any paperwork or documentation with mine???

has anyone asked ktec about this?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Had a thought when I was doing the rear that seems feasable. Recon it would be ok to remove the rotating collar that is on the thread on the rear supports and put the springs on without the collar to get it a wee bit lower? Can't see aproblem with doing this!

valid point but when i finished putting my rear one in ( with the collar) i noticed everytime i jack the back up from now on i will have to make sure the spring is seated properly when lowering it back down as they are shorter than standard and dont fit tight at all, surly removing the collar would make them even looser!

Clio 172
Wasnt that they had warranty with k-tec the reason some thought the price being hiked up was ok?

172 with k-tec sound
glad people are happy with their purchase, these sound like the bargain of the century, fittin mine tomorow, as my rear shock has failed and im riding on the spring now lol its like driving a trampoline, as for paperwork/warranty, isnt the receipt your warranty, as i would have thought if anything does go wrong you have the receipt as proof of purchase ect.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...as for paperwork/warranty, isnt the receipt your warranty, as i would have thought if anything does go wrong you have the receipt as proof of purchase ect.

Of course it is.

Do those doubters really think K-Tec would tell you to take a running jump if they failed the day after you'd fitted them?

How often do you receive anything in the form of warranty documentation when buying other car components?

172 Cup
Well got the fronts finished and set up yesterday. Bit of a bugger to get camber set up to run for a few weeks to allow them to bed in before getting them professionally done but think I've done ok with getting them both equal with a very slight touch of negative camber. Found out when removing one of the struts what the rattle had been and why my car hasn't felt as if it had handled too well recently; top part of the spring had managed to get above the cup it is supposed to seat in.

Thanks to thos who already fitted and had adjusted to having so many threads on show, saved me ages so I knew roughly how many threads on show would give me a decent drop/stance. Settled on 50 at the moment. Theres a few speed bumps on way to work I will nee dto be a bit careful of with my Cup splitter but hopefully should be ok. I also covered them in waxoil to hopefully protect the threads and keep them shiny as I live right on the coast so good chance they will look pretty corroded pretty fast otherwise.

Anyway my reason for posting:-

Is the top of the shaft of the damper where the secrew cap goes on (IE Where the allen key goes in) sitting flush with the top of the bolt of the top cap rather than sticking a centimeter or so abive it as per original dampers?

Had a bit of a nightmare with the rear. Managed to shear one of the bottom bolts that hold the damper onto the rear beam. Have no decided yet if I am going to helicoil or just get a new rear beam in. When it's finished think I will let it bed in for a wee while and then remove the rotating cuff so I can get it another cm or so down at the back.

All in all seems a pretty decent/solid bit of kit Glad I held off and didn't just go the Eibach Sportline route when I can see how much lower I can get with this. Will be interested to see what the longetivity is on them as I live in an area where the main driving challenge is avoiding potholes....

172 with k-tec sound
yeah thats pretty much standard on aftermarket coilovers mate, da ktec's are the same, fitting mine in the next hour, cant wait to get stuck in, im pretty convinced these are going to last quite well judging by the build quality but as we have said time will tell.;)

172 with k-tec sound
mine are on now, (big thanks to da;)), went for 54 threads on the fronts, and the rears all the way down, also removed the bump in the arch, we took her for a test drive and so far so good no scrubbing ect, very impressed with them tbh feels like a different car to drive, also took her out with my normal passengers and no rubbing/scrubbing over rough roads/speed humps, so overall im sooooo glad i bought these, however it is gonna take some getting used to with the lack of body roll, as compared to standard shocks ect it feels strange going round bends and having been used to the roll i still feel like i want to compensate for it and oversteer in the corners lol.
but my honest opinion is these are the bargain of the f**king century imho, my car feels planted and they arent too stiff ect. i love the stance and height is spot on for my tastes. tried the best we could to get the camber something like, but feels ok to drive do hopefully it wont be too far out.
just need to let them settle in and have them setup proper like;).
no pics at the mo as i dont have camera. but i will try and organise some soon.

Da

Less
Glad you're happy with them - very easy to fit once we'd located the missing rear bump stop ;)

Seem good quality from what I've seen today and bar the colours, appear to be exactly the same as my K-Tec setup.

Anybody need an acoustic valve?? lol ;)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Mine are on and although I am more than happy with them, I don't seem to have noted as much of a difference to the standard setup as some have, however, I wasn't expecting much difference, so might be partially 'in my head' (or is it the other way around?).

I went with the (now 'age old') method of counting threads and it worked fine. My car rarely moves now, so it's going for an allignment setup when I next have some free time, i'm in no hurry.

They don't feel much/any stiffer than the previous setup and I have no more/less confidence in the corners than I did before. Overall, I am happy, they cost me about £155 all in (after a partial refund for late dispatch) and they'll let me save the standard setup for when the car is sold.

My standard setup is in the garage and can easily be put back on if i'm not happy.

Ph 1 172
:lolup: do u not no count the threads is the new accurate way lol that's how we all did it by the looks of things!! Anyone no the mac amount of -camber these offer

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Seems I don't notice 'hard' suspension anymore, according to my recent passengers, they are noticeably stiffer than the originals.

Mine are coming back off the car. My girlfriend preferrs the standard setup and the car wil be hers soon, so it has to be how she wants it.

If it was my choice, i'd keep them on as I am more than happy with them, but she wants the original springs on. Never mind, it'll keep me busy and I will probably just keep them as spares to use if the standard ones develop any faults.

172 with k-tec sound
gonna have to raise mine at the back slightly, i currently have them all the way down and as they are settling they are starting to rub at the rear, so im thinking 5mm should do the trick. they are seriously low at the back and look much lower then any of the pics on here, i can barely get my finger between the tyre and the arch,
wonder if 5mm will be enough any thoughts people?

Supercharged S2000
Ahhh reading all these posts is making me jelous, mine are still sitting in the box next to me... Cannot wait until payday :) as i am a bit of a noob, any one know roughly how long this takes if you know your shizzle? im just planning a head as im going to have to get these done at a garage.
cheers guys

172 with k-tec sound
shouldnt take anymore than 2 hrs if u know what ur doing, me n da would of done them in an hour and half if the top thingy hadnt dropped off lol. a decent garage/mechanic should be able to do them in an hour.

Da

Less
Ahhh reading all these posts is making me jelous, mine are still sitting in the box next to me... Cannot wait until payday :) as i am a bit of a noob, any one know roughly how long this takes if you know your shizzle? im just planning a head as im going to have to get these done at a garage.
cheers guys

Where are you located?

Thinking of getting a set but have questions first:
For those of you that noticed a good improvement over standard, was your old suspension f**ked / how many miles had been done on it?

I've got a 182FF with cup packs and 60k on the clock.

Cheers