ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RACELAND COILOVER DISCUSSION THREAD

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Mine will be fitted with my bro this Sat/sun on the isle of wight, (visiting family).

then i will be driving back 200 miles of motorway and a roads so wont be the best road test but will see how they endure. also will be doing some roads on the isle of wight, which, may i add, has more pot holes than you could ever imagine, so we will see!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
how much are these? im thinkin of gettin coilovers simply cos i want lower than apex -40mm, nothing hardcore. how much lower do i get for my extra ££££? plus are they easy to fit/set up? ta.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
cheers. 40mm? is that it?? thought coilovers gave you much bigger drops.

Black Clio GT
at the rear -40mm will be more than enough, as will -70mm at the front.....

should look good when there on, make sure you grease up the threads of your gonna go up and down with them for road/track......

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Fitting mine now, when putting th final part of the top mount on does anyone else find that ther is only about 1mm of thread sticking out th top compared to standard where there is about 7mm? When I say thread I'm on about th top end of the strut. Cheers guys

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Finished mine at 2 in th morning, front was a pain in th arse and needed re raising 5 times as it kept scrubbbin in th wheel arches. But now doesn't look much lower than standard, ther is a little plastic bulge In the wheel arch which it kept rubbing on. O well back looks epic though and they feel alot stiffer and more responsive.

ibiza cupra
really interested in these, when my shocks go i think they will be next on the shopping list. glad to see that they majority of people who have them fitted are pleased with them and if they are a good combintaion for road and track then that suits me fine as ive never been on track but would like to eventually but would still like the car lower than it is on the uprated springs.

172 with k-tec sound
slight delay getting these fitted, but hey ho, booked in on wed with local garage, also going down to nw perfomance in morning to get aux belt done :D.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Mine are fitted now, drove around the isle of wight, handled the bumps with great force lol. overall a very good upgrade and bang for buck, cant seem to get the front to lower much without rubbing on some gay bit if plastic which bulges out of the wheel arch liner.

Clio 182
I had a set of raceland coilovers on my Golf, did the job a massive improvement and all i really wanted to do was slam my car.

Think i'll get Weitec on my 182 though.

2002 172 cup
fitted mine yesterday. I just fired them in straight out of the box as it was getting late front passenger side is toooooo low the driver side a little higher and the back is at highest setting the camber is all over the place also but i had no choice as i needed bed. Im not worried though as i cycle to work so its sitting in my drive ready for me to finalise the height i think im going for what someone said earlier back almost fully down and fronts at 52 i think it was. oh and at the minute im rubbing the sticky outty bit too. once the height is sorted its going for full allignment to get the camber sorted. Then il stick up some pics.
one last thing I drove it down to the garage and found the ride very comfortable for coillies just what i wanted Im no mod snob or track ***** so all in all for 200 squid you really cant complain. Im not gonna post up about how great or bad the handling will be as i cant drive for s**t but hey it will look a lot better on the eye.

172 with k-tec sound
Not looked properly but i'm thinking just cut it out and rivet a patch on, or is it stuck out for a reason?

just had my arch liner out, and all i can see behind the bump is the framework which the front bumper bolts onto, cant see any reason why the bump is there, but it looks like u could cut it out and rivet a flat peice to cover the gap.

172, Tiguan
Mine just wore away. The general concencus is to take a hammer to that bracket thats behind it, or just let it be. As long as it's not rubbing on the metal behind it there's no bother.

172 with k-tec sound
well i want the front as low as possible without scubbing, so im deffo going to sort the bump n bracket out lol. and go for the backs all the way down, n fronts about the same height as jon r's

Mine are fitted now, drove around the isle of wight, handled the bumps with great force lol. overall a very good upgrade and bang for buck, cant seem to get the front to lower much without rubbing on some gay bit if plastic which bulges out of the wheel arch liner.

sounds great, im thinking of doctoring my bump in the wheel arch somehow lol

What Bump is this in the arch liner that keep getting caught ?

Any chance of some pics ?

Reason i ask is i'm looking into Coilies and doing my homework first.

Another thing is what do people use to protect the threads that the adjustable spring seats use to adjust the height ?

By protection i mean corrosion protection etc.
I was thinking a smearing of grease of something but grit etc would stick to it.

Would this stuff work ?

http://www.apex-chemicals.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=39

Look half way down the webpage

DRY FILM LUBE

Easy-to-use aerosol product which sprays on a rapid drying, bonded film of P.T.F.E with microscopic graphite. Provides good boundary lubrication and anti-stick properties, even under difficult conditions. Ideal where an oily or sticky lubricant would pick up too much dirt and dust.

Ph 1 172
So how do you adjust them then lol
got first set of coilovers getting fitted now and before I drive away I wanna make sure the front springs are locked in place and cool! And also I wanna be able to drive home lol

what do you turn and which way of your looking at them on the car? I assume the rears go as low as possible with no scrubbing but I obviously am a lil worried about the fronts being undrivable or damaging on the way home! Any help would be great

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I set the fronts of mine up yesterday with about 45 'threads' an had quite a lot of scrubbing on the fronts when turning. Adjusted them today and now have them sat with 56 threads, no scrubbing (after reading on here about the bracket bumps inside the wheel arch I removed before fittin my coilovers. I removed them with my dremmel tool and bent the brackets upwards so they will not interfere with the wheel).

I currently have the backs set as low as they will go. No issues with them.

Height of the car looks spot on in my opinion.

The camber bolts were set up so they are approx 1 degree. This is only rough though. I judged this by having a look at the travel of the hub when twisting the camber bolts, and holding it at about a third of the way across (so the hub is twisted away from you and 'into' the car) and have also measured the distance between the top of the washer (the one fixes to the bolt) and the top of the hub mount using my vernier caliper (good to 2dp of a mm) to check both siders were the same.

I intend to have the suspension set up properly once the springs have bedded in, prob in a month or so. Several local tyre places have the lazer geometry setups so can do toe and camber settings.

Will be interested if anyone had any ideas (possibly a motorsport background) of what settings are best for a road/occasional track setup in regards to toe and camber settings?

Just off to take some pics. Will report back later!

Rob

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Here ya go:

4440483553_0c74c5df8f_b.jpg

4441274662_a724be6355_b.jpg

4441275882_3337a47df5.jpg
4441277162_512be5063b.jpg

They should settle after a while so will have to wait to see if thats any good.

Ph 1 172
got mine on today but they are not level so ill sort it out tomorrow and get some pics up but im well happy with the quality for value for money! think anyone would be as long as you dont expect high high quality coilovers and just some entry level ones you will be plesantly surprised i think!

where abouts are people counting the threads from the bottom?

and what about the rears because on one side the black screw thing the spring sits on is considerably higher than the other one if that makes sense lol

Freetrack&Monaco 172
got mine on today but they are not level so ill sort it out tomorrow and get some pics up but im well happy with the quality for value for money! think anyone would be as long as you dont expect high high quality coilovers and just some entry level ones you will be plesantly surprised i think! I'm very impressed with them for the money. They are not settled yet or properly setup but already I have noticed practically no body roll, firmer handling and its not too stiff. Good for road use almost certainly. This is compared to my (bearing in mind they are high mileage) standard Cup shocks and Sportline Eibach springs.

where abouts are people counting the threads from the bottom? Yes, starting from the 1st 'dip'. Mine are setup with the 56th thread's dip visible (if that makes sense?).

and what about the rears because on one side the black screw thing the spring sits on is considerably higher than the other one if that makes sense lol. Mine both sit flush with the plates they are attached to when wound down....!?!

Make sure you clean off the spring platforms before fitting the threaded units. Also make sure you have removed any plastic spring seat pieces (mine originally had one above and below, now with the coil seat in I left out the lower ones and put the top one between the car and new rear spring) as these will stop them seating properly.

Rob

2002 172 cup
I finished setting the height of mine today went for 49 threads on the front from the bottom of the strut to the bottom adjusting ring. Backs are set 8mm from the bottom. sits good and level and low but does not foul the sticky outty bit unless cornering very hard. I will post pics up when I get my cambers sorted. Im loving how comfy the ride is certainly more of an OAP coilover and as I never told the wife I bought them out of the joint account she has not even noticed any difference with the car win win. cheers love.

ps I put good old fashioned greese around the threads to prevent future seizing and lots it.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
had mine on over 300 miles now, and i love um, took some bends a bit harder than i usually would and love the lack of body roll. Will take some pictures this weekend when me and ben finish some more work on it n give it a clean.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
had mine on over 300 miles now, and i love um, took some bends a bit harder than i usually would and love the lack of body roll. Will take some pictures this weekend when me and ben finish some more work on it n give it a clean.

Me too, very noticeable, corners practically flat.

BTW, has anyone had 2 people sat in the back with the back fully lowered?

My rears are on the lowest setting they will go.....and:

Erm, had 3 in the back last night also 1 passenger and myself in the front.

Errrr.......generally if I didnt have a deep splitter and the centre section of my exhaust didnt hang down from my car (have never been able to get my stealth to sit up under the car properly) the speed bumps I needed to go over wouldnt have been a problem. It was definately my exhaust that is the issue. Scraped slightly but not too bad. Dropped 1 of them off and it was better but still making contact. As soon as I dropped them off all the passengers in the back I had no problem with speedbumps at all.