ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RACELAND COILOVER DISCUSSION THREAD

172 with k-tec sound
righto, firstly this is a thread for the people who bought these to discuss how they, fit, preform, and general experiences with them on and off track, i dont and i repeat dont want the whole ktec/pricing discussed here, any comments will be deleted.

me n da are fitting mine on sunday, which im quite looking forward to, saw jon r's vids on track and they preformed with no glitches apart from scrubbing at the front, so clearly with these, u have to be careful how low u go on the fronts from what has alredy been said. would be nice to establish how low u can go without scrubbing ect.

172 with k-tec sound
hi fred. just wanting a straight thread about these as ive bought some myself and would like to hear what peoples thoughts are, driveability wise and ride heights ect.
i noticed from your comments on another thread about not messing with them untill they have settled, think you said 1000 miles or something?

ph2 172 and 106 gti
I would of said these sound like more of a budget street based coilover myself, if they are that soft as someone said do they offer much performance gain on track, surely people would be looking for something stiffer if they are going on track??

Only my opinion from what others have observed don't have a set myself,

172 Cup
I am going to hopefully get them fitted this weekend as well. Going to roughly set them up camber wise on my garage floor, let them, settle in over few weeks then get them professionally set up. Can't wait, never had coilovers before only aftermarket springs...

Ph 1 172
got mine the other day will be fitted next wednesday! havent had a set of cilovers before! but this look good value for money at the moment! some well made kit for the price

172 with k-tec sound
agreed, i have seen both vmaxx and ktec, and these are just as well built, and imho a quality product, which i was pleasantly suprised at when i opened the box, they dont appear cheap and cheerfull to me.
i would have thought these would be ideal for fast road use and occasional track use, agreed not for the hardcore trackday person.
the inbetweeners if you pardon the pun.

Ph 1 172
agreed, i have seen both vmaxx and ktec, and these are just as well built, and imho a quality product, which i was pleasantly suprised at when i opened the box, they dont appear cheap and cheerfull to me.
i would have thought these would be ideal for fast road use and occasional track use, agreed not for the hardcore trackday person.
the inbetweeners if you pardon the pun.

+1 and people like me that just want it lowered lol more than 30mm

ph2 172 and 106 gti
I have had a budget set of coilovers before and i have to say i was pleasantly surprised with the quality they certainly have come down in price and seem well made, it will be interesting to see what these coilovers are like over time, things like corrosion of the threads etc

Ph 1 172
so what size alloys have you all got then with these i have 16" and not sure how much to lower actually im not sure how much to use these lol

172 with k-tec sound
indeed it will be interesting to see how these develop over time.

i have 16's prima racing alloys with toyo proxies 45 profile .

whilst im fitting them on sun i will try and get some measurements to post up as to what they are lowered to, then once they settle i will raise or lower them depending on scrubbing ect, n make a final measurement..

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just to be clear, jon_r's scrubbing wasn't down to ride height, it was down to cornering load.

So the height at which they don't scrub for some, will probably mean they will for others...all depending on driving style?

I was impressed by jon being impressed by them and his car looked OK on track. Certainly I've seen more firmly setup Clios, but as a road/track compromise I think they're a great option and cannot be ignored for the price.

I'm need new springs/dampers all round judging by how wallowy my Cup was - full RRP from Renault or a set of these from K-Tec? Easy decision.

172 with k-tec sound
thanks for clearing that up mate:eek:, from what i have read and seen so far i couldnt agree with you more, and if jon is impressed then its all good feedback really, and only comfirms what you see when you open the box.

Ph 1 172
well im just going to slap my rears as low as psossible level the front to the rears and leave them for a while!! what would be helpful is if someone could tell me exactly how to lowere theme and make them higher as well as camber adjust the fronts (not that ill touch this just want to know where not to touch lol) !!! im a complete noob lol

172 with k-tec sound
they have two black rings that the spanners fit onto, they lower/higher them, n when you have them right they lock together, the camber is ajusted by the large bolt that attaches them to the hubs, its recessed into a u shaped lip.
the rears are easy peasy, just wind the thread in for lower,out for higher.

personally i want to keep the nose down stance, as i think it suits the cars and is as they were intended.

Last edited:
  Ph 1 172
yeah thats the look ill be going for just gonna let them bed in for while first! get my decat fitted same day hopefully so car will be a bit of an animal lol

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've done 1000 miles on mine, and no complaints whatsoever. Bargain of the year!

172 with k-tec sound
cool, how do they make the car handle in comparisom to what you had before, and roughly what ride height do u have

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
back all the way down, fronts half way. Handling is improved no question. They're a bit stiffer but not unbearable.

4347971515_de6c732dcd_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4347971515_de6c732dcd_b.jpg

Ph1
How do they compare in terms of handling against uprated shocks and springs? A lot better or much the same?

Are they TUV approved, British kite marked up, ie safe lol ?

Da

Less
You sure they're TUV approved Carl? I thought that was an expensive option for the manufacturer?

172, Tiguan
For reference, as a road setup I'm running +5mm at the back and then 52 'threads' at the front, which was raised to 58 on track. I know that's not massively technical, but I've found that height works well. Count from bottom thread up to lower adjustable ring to get your 52 ( you'll see what I mean ). This is with Cup offset wheels and 195 tyres.

Sorry on my phone with bad man flu, that's all I'm typing!

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
Mine are great, really pleased with them. I have been on them for about 800 miles now so will be returning to Fred when he is available to set them up accordingly.

Stiffer than standard suspension but not unbareable, but feel alot more grounded, corners alot better.

I have mine with 17's on at the moment, back is all the way down I think, and fronts are probs halfway+, I only get a little rub when cornering a roundabout hard, and when I am 3 up in the back and go over a stupidly sized pothole.

Hopefully getting 16/15"s soon so this will improve greatly, and looks wise I will let you decide for yourself ;)
l_290ab551ddaf4c3982d4849c19cc1adb.png

l_519b56f3608d4e01af453a07834f9a15.png

l_c025dcaecb7644df8ea94df404ba7ec4.png

l_8e13a3b0ac084cc29abac5abee2ed7ee.png

Taken only a couple of days after having them fitted, so they have settled a bit more now.

172 with k-tec sound
Mine are great, really pleased with them. I have been on them for about 800 miles now so will be returning to Fred when he is available to set them up accordingly.

Stiffer than standard suspension but not unbareable, but feel alot more grounded, corners alot better.

I have mine with 17's on at the moment, back is all the way down I think, and fronts are probs halfway+, I only get a little rub when cornering a roundabout hard, and when I am 3 up in the back and go over a stupidly sized pothole.

Hopefully getting 16/15"s soon so this will improve greatly, and looks wise I will let you decide for yourself ;)

they look awesome mate, the height looks perfect to me, they settle pretty quickly by the souns of it

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
They feel like the softest aftermarket suspension I've ever owned and considering how low the car is it doesnt feel much stiffer than standard. I supoose for normal road driving thats actually a good thing. Would be great if tehy were damping adjustable for when you want to be more 'spirited' but of course they then wouldn't be as cheap.

One thing I would say to people to watch out for is to not go this low

(Closest one)

IMG_4020Medium.jpg

IMG_4015Medium.jpg

As they driveshafts have rubbed against the chassis when cornering so I'll need to raise it, planned to anyway so no great hardship!

172 with k-tec sound
yeah will watch out for that mate thanks, just want her lower than she is at the mo, plus my rear shocks are leaking so i needed them anyway.