ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R888's becoming illegal for road use next year?

172 Silver Cup
I am sure I heard this somewhere (auto express). Is this right? If so what is legal and similar grip?

i heard some police already have made them illegal and if you get pulled with a set on you can get up to 3 points per tyre , a friend told me this who works for a tyre companie , not sure how true that is , he also mentioned some guy got pulled in a r26r megane and the police screwed him over ! as the guy had all 4 tyres changed at my mates tyre place

Si

RS Clio 172
i did a thread about this ages ago iirc. EVO did a bit on it i think. I didn't think it was coming in for a few years yet? don't see how they could give out points for them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i did a thread about this ages ago iirc. EVO did a bit on it i think. I didn't think it was coming in for a few years yet? don't see how they could give out points for them.
The penalty will be the same as having bald tyres, so points will be dished out. Afaik it's not occured yet, but the legislation is coming this year.

A lot of the euro stuff is ott, but tbh I agree with this. Having being caught in a rainstorm (middle of summer) on r888's, they are woeful in those conditions.

i was told by my tyre place that all the police look out for is "not for road use" written on the tyre as obviously not all coppers are going to know if every tyre is legal or not. so just shave that writing off :p cant see if being 3 points per tyre though thats b0llocks!!

Si

RS Clio 172
i was told by my tyre place that all the police look out for is "not for road use" written on the tyre as obviously not all coppers are going to know if every tyre is legal or not. so just shave that writing off :p cant see if being 3 points per tyre though thats b0llocks!!

but even my 2118s say for competition use iirc? and my exhaust. lol. 15 points?

A police man cannot issue points for illegal modifications without an engineers report. Which is normally too much hassle so its avoided. Your friend with the R888s must not have had enough tread across 70% of the tyre.

182 Cup

If the part isn't e-marked it's not legal for road use as far as I'm aware.

Edit - true for tyres and lights, not sure about all other parts now.

Last edited:
  182 Cup

If you have an exhaust silencer that is an after market type which has no markings such as OEM No's, E marks or race only it's not illegal. Even if it is slightly louder than the OEM silencer.
The recent change in regulations in essence say that the only issue regarding the type of exhaust is that it should not contain any notice on it which indicates that it is not for road use. As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected. You might get an "adviser", the Tester might fail it!

Lol

A police man cannot issue points for illegal modifications without an engineers report. Which is normally too much hassle so its avoided. Your friend with the R888s must not have had enough tread across 70% of the tyre.

not my friend , just some guy who went into his shop to get a new set of tyres

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
The sad thing about this is its generally enthusiast/trackday goes that are on 888s and such. So the people using them generally have a better driving level than most on the road.

But i do agree i wouldn't run 888 on a road car everyday.

But what is annoying is for every car on the road that will be running on 888 or similar there must be hundreds (even thousands) running on illegal tyres (bald worn ect)that the dont bother to inspect or change or people running on the cheapest of cheap budget tyres which should also be made illegal.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The sad thing about this is its generally enthusiast/trackday goes that are on 888s and such. So the people using them generally have a better driving level than most on the road.

But i do agree i wouldn't run 888 on a road car everyday.

But what is annoying is for every car on the road that will be running on 888 or similar there must be hundreds (even thousands) running on illegal tyres (bald worn ect)that the dont bother to inspect or change or people running on the cheapest of cheap budget tyres which should also be made illegal.

This, but then that would be discriminating against poor/tight people ffs

How are "The Authorities" going to distinguish between a track day tyre and a "road legal" tyre? The R-S2 is a medium compound and good on track but if you looked at the tread pattern it looks normal the R1R a little less so but if Toyo were to add a couple of "rings" around the tyre likewise with the R888 are they then not a track day tyre?

Black Clio GT
if or when it comes in i would give toyo a month before they have found a "way round the law" and the tyre performs the same on track.......

No point using them on the road anyway IMO. Drive like a prick to get heat into them, then it rains and you have to drive at 5mph everywhere. Cosmic.

However, a change in law would be a shame for people who only use their car on track, but like to drive it there, and don't have spare wheels and a support vehicle.

Oh and Loffle at that bulls**t story about the Megane.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Even driving like a prick it's difficult to get heat into the rears. Tbh if someone has the money for a dedicated track car, a set of steelies with cheap road rubber shouldn't be a stretch.

M135i
The police can only inspect your tyres if they have been given authority by the Chief Constable of their force to use powers under Section 67 RTA 1988

E90
No point using them on the road anyway IMO. Drive like a prick to get heat into them, then it rains and you have to drive at 5mph everywhere. Cosmic.

This ^^ You will not get the best out of them on road, as above you would have to drive like an absolute cockend to get any sort of heat in em, They are fine in the wet Roy, standing water however forget it, Twice i have had to actually stop on the side of a motorway, until it stopped pissing down.

I drive my car to and from the ring etc, so I leave em on, I would never buy any just to put on to look "cool" in the summer however.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I've got a set in the loft which i use for the occasional trackday i get round to doing.

Normally I would drive to/from the track with my PE2s on and then swap to the R888s... but it's nice having the option to drive on the road with them! handy if the road wheels are off for a refurb etc ;)

are they going to be banned from sale? or banned from use? seems a bit cheeky to retrospectively ban a product people have bought and been using fine for ages :dapprove:

Golf GTD Mk7

However, a change in law would be a shame for people who only use their car on track, but like to drive it there, and don't have spare wheels and a support vehicle.

Oh and Loffle at that bulls**t story about the Megane.

Ture, you'll never get them to be "sticky" as such on the road unless its hot which in the UK isn't very often. Saying that though, they are perfectly fine in the wet, so no idea why they are trying to ban them. Glad I read this though before drove to the track on my track wheels :(