ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not fitted it yet Ben, only turned up yesterday lol ... will be a job for the new year now i think. Wireless controller is quite cool though, just like a little key fob. All reviews suggest that its an excellent modification though, so just treat yourself, not like you'd lose any money if bought 2nd hand anyways.

BMW F21 125d
Nice review of the R Vs the M there Dave. Summed the M up very well. Its just too much for the UK roads, BMW's are German for a reason!

Whats the commutable mpg on this beast?

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Is the r32 any cheaper to run/maintain? Obviously I know the M3 is going to be more expensive to repair if things go really tits up but I am talking fuel/servicing/general wear and tear items.

My understanding was there was no real difference in these costs which is why I went for the more powerful of the 2.

Also I know exactly what you mean about being a bit 'truck like' haha

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Whats the commutable mpg on this beast?

About the same as an M3 tbh, circa 27-29mpg on the motorway at a real 75-80mph - bear in mind that the Golf speedo overreads by 10%, the e46 less than 5%, so you always think that you are going faster than you actually are in the Golf. My average over 10k miles is 28.3mpg, although it will drop now that i'll be doing predominently town driving.

Is the r32 any cheaper to run/maintain? Obviously I know the M3 is going to be more expensive to repair if things go really tits up but I am talking fuel/servicing/general wear and tear items.

Tax - M3 cheaper
Insurance - R32 cheaper
Servicing - both done every 12k (i dont do Longlife), R32 needs DSG every 40k, M3 needs Valve clearances every 40k or so. Both have 6 x spark plugs, R32 has Haldex, M3 has spaffy diff oil. Pollen/Air/Oil filters are roughly the same cost for both. M3 will be more if you dont DIY due to ///M labour rates.
Brakes - R32 cheaper
Tyres - about the same

///M gets expensive if things break though, many parts are bespoke to the model and even 2nd hand, they hold their value very well. Its a very complicated car at the end of the day - the engine is an absolute masterpiece built to very fine tolerances, so you would expect it to be pricey to fix.

All in all, the Golf probably isnt much cheaper to run, & certainly owes me more £££'s than an M3, but i do prefer it at the moment :clown:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Nice review between the ///M and the .:R..

Iv decided that an R32 will be the car I get once I get a house.. That wont be for a Few years yet though :eek:

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice review between the ///M and the .:R..

Iv decided that an R32 will be the car I get once I get a house.. That wont be for a Few years yet though :eek:

My next car once mileage drops a little ;)

Love driving my bosses! When your selling the recaros and haldex let me know, I''ll persuade my boss into buying them ha!

Z4
Was waiting for the M3 comparison ;)

To be honest, the M3 would absolutely r4pe the R32 speed wise, there is simply no comparison, except off the line in the damp. The M simply pulls and pulls and pulls, you dont really realise how quick it is until you are able to fully unleash it abroad (like the Brecons in Wales lol). Yes its rapid below 70, but its only really getting into its stride then, the way it continues to pull through 3rd, to 4th and into 5th is simply immense. And the wail. Oh the wail. Its like driving a truck normally however, which meant for my daily commuting, i simply got fed up with the heavy clutch, jerky throttle and feeling that i was always 'reining it in'. However, for that weekend in Wales, it was simply incredible, however, to have fun in it, you need to be doing some seriously silly speeds (which is daft on the road), & the standard brakes are sh1te.

The R32 by comparison is slower, but still sounds epic, so you can safely drive it around at more 'maximum attack' than the M3 without worrying about blue flashing lights all the time. On the motorway, when it kicks down in DSG it is rapid, no question about that, it will happily ruin a clio 1*2/197/200 as ive found out a couple of times, whilst drinking a cup of coffee with my arm on the armrest. Handling wise it is a much 'safer' proposition than the M3 in that you simply turn in and go around a corner, no need to worry about oversteer or for 99% of the time, understeer. At road speeds, you would have to be driving like a right mong to get it out of shape.

Which i guess is where the issue lies, the R32 is a stunning way of travelling quickly and id probably put money on it being able to keep an M3 honest on a back road as its so much easier to drive for most drivers. The M3 requires skill to peddle really quickly, which it where its 'Evo'ness comes from, its able to really deliver at eight-tenths plus, whereas the R32 doesnt have the ability to give that last two-tenths of driving pleasure.

As a daily, the R32 is better imho, its a 5 door family hatchback so immensely practical and without the constant fear of M priced breakages. Will it still keep me amused in 6 months time now my commute is shorter and driving is more for pleasure? Im not sure, but conversely, im not sure id want to go back to the worry of ///M ownership at the moment.

Very well summarised mate. Agree on all points. I've still got the z4 for exactly the reasons you've mentioned above. I always felt worried with the M3; what is if breaks? Don't want to park near anyone, ALWAYS looking for blue flashing lights behind!

My 2012 vw caddy speedo over reads by a fair amount too, must be deliberate?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Took the R32 back home to Cornwall last weekend for Christmas, & as per usual it took everything in its stride. The 550 mile motorway roundtrip, the soaking wet back roads, small floods and ridiculously rather muddy/rough driveway (although being lowered does not help lol, scrapey scrapey). Seats were epic, 4 hours straight and got out the other end feeling fine.

I now havent cleaned it since i bought it, really needs doing now, just cant be bothered ... it'll only get dirty again :slap:

E9DFC765-4B8F-4DAC-9945-2811133E913B-2178-0000018E4A85FFA6.jpg

Still a great car, but i need to get all the parts fitted to it and do a trackday asap, my feet are itching.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I am not suprised the running costs are similar to an M3 tbh.

Oh and the dirt suits it,i had a silver 172 back in 2003 and that used to go months before it was cleaned i think it was the fact silver holds the dirt so well.

Great write up Dave. Impartial and informative. Something that's really hard to find when browsing 95% of forum reviews.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Not sure I'd want to track an r32, I took my mk4 and 3.2dsg a3 on the ring then the GP circuit. Suited the ring much more than the circuit!

Lotus Elise
Cleaning cars is pointless tbh. Epic write up Dave, you definitely have the correct attitude to car ownership ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not sure I'd want to track an r32, I took my mk4 and 3.2dsg a3 on the ring then the GP circuit. Suited the ring much more than the circuit!

Know what you mean, although it should be better than normal with all the suspension/Haldex changes i will have made!!

Cleaning cars is pointless tbh. Epic write up Dave, you definitely have the correct attitude to car ownership ;)

Why fank you :eek:

Another little modification yesterday afternoon, the 'boot pop' mod, using the following parts - 2 x 6Y0 827 550 C (Skoda Fabia gas springs), 2 x 1K8 827 761 C Scirocco bumpers), 2 x 1J6 827 439 A (Seat Leon ball pins). Cost me £50 off the mk5golfgti forum, could have got it cheaper by going to the dealers, but couldnt be bothered lol.

Not my video, but works like so:

Quite useful for shopping etc, and means that i dont have to touch the boot to open it, which it useful considering how dirty it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols that's awesome. Now only if it was a self closing one. Q7 wiring? ;)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Lovely car Dave but the yellow 106 GTi is still the most epic car you've owned. Agree?

RS4
Out of interest - whats the going rate for the recaros? Im thinking of selling my front two in exchange for some standard ones. I have seen a few advertised at 2k but im not sure if they actually sell for that much

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Out of interest - whats the going rate for the recaros? Im thinking of selling my front two in exchange for some standard ones. I have seen a few advertised at 2k but im not sure if they actually sell for that much

I paid £1k plus my standard leather front seats, that was probably a little cheaper than going rate however.

Not much of an update on the R32 as of late, other than to say its been brilliant in the snow, although the Haldex is a little weird for drifting/donuts, as you have to get the front wheels slipping/understeering before the rear wheels kick in ...

Few other bits being changed on Saturday to cure a knocking from the front end, namely Powerflex ARB bushes, Powerflex wishbone bushes,
Whiteline ALK, balljoints, trackrods/ends & more than likely fitment of the Haldex controller. Will also get the alignment checked & set for 'fast road' specs by the chap whose doing it all (Alex at AKS Tuning).

Also been getting slightly itchy feet as of late (have had it 6 months!) and left a deposit on another Trophy the other day, although that is primarily for use at the Bedford trackday - dont fancy destroying the rather expensive brakes/tyres on the R32, & a potential 8mpg on track is FTL. Considering a R56 MCS as well to release a little more cash into the house deposit fund. Although, i may be inheriting 'the North' at work soon so that might be a little daft if i have to do start doing more work miles ...

Still a brilliant car however, which is what im concerned about. If i did get rid of it, would any other car be such an awesome all rounder?

Clio 172
I'm seriously thinking about an R for this year if I can get transferred closer to home (the current 150 mile commute would kill me tbh)

What is an actual, realistic motorway MPG? Iv seen from 30-40 MPG, just wana know what is realistic, and if I could afford to run it lol.

I know you've talked about it, but can't find it now :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What is an actual, realistic motorway MPG? Iv seen from 30-40 MPG, just wana know what is realistic, and if I could afford to run it lol.

The only way an R32 will do 40mpg is down a big hill, at 50mph lol. Mine averages 27-29mpg if i sit at motorway speeds of circa 75-85. It will do over 30 if i try hard, but i cant really be bothered to go that slow to save 10p a journey tbh. Around town, ie my current commute, its plummeted to about 22mpg, in bad traffic, ive seen as low as 13-15, but id imagine thats similar to any other big engined car stuck in a traffic jam after a cold start.

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

The above pictures are from last Friday, where i stupidly went to a meeting in Warwick (100 miles away) for 11am. At 12.30pm when i came out, the world was white. After having to go 'off-road' and follow a Rangie down a snow covered dirt track (to avoid a massive traffic jam onto the M40), i can safely say that if i didnt have the R32, i wouldnt have got home :clown:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Miles much of an issue on the R32's? I've been looking for a new car and would happily consider an R32 - but, mine would likely be a mk4 not mk5.

Is the R32 permo AWD?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Miles much of an issue on the R32's? I've been looking for a new car and would happily consider an R32 - but, mine would likely be a mk4 not mk5.

Is the R32 permo AWD?

Haldex 4wd, so rears only kick in when the front detects slippage! The Haldex controller that im fitting makes them kick in much sooner however. Be aware that on the Mk4, a lot of the cam chains are now stretching/snapping so that is most definately something to read up/consider - R32oc is good for this.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
flol at the front end! Looks similar to the rear of my clio.

*Awaits next rain spell to give it a wash....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
So it's the same as the A3 then - I must admit I hadn't googled it, but, given the volume of ppl saying "permo 4wd" on the adverts, I assumed it would be constant.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Dave, I'll get back to your PM tonight mate. I'm not being ignorant, just under some serious stress with work ha.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So on Saturday, the final pieces of the R32 jigsaw were put in place at AKS Tuning in Bedfordshire, mainly to solve the rattly front ARB, but also to tighten everything up at the front end, reduce understeer and generally make it a much nicer car to drive.

IMG_3377.jpg

Subframe, wishbone, ARB all off - not the easiest of jobs on a lift, so glad i didnt attempt it on the driveway!!!
IMG_3371.jpg

Powerflex wishbone bushes pressed in & whiteline anti-lift kit fitted:
IMG_3373.jpg

Fitted back onto the car:
IMG_3383.jpg

Along with new balljoints, trackrods, steering arm gators and subframe bolts:
IMG_3385.jpg

Alex noted that the trackrods were a little knackered, so that would have definately been contributing to the slightly loose feeling in the steering!! Also mentioned that the front coilover struts werent fitted quite right, ie they needed to seat a further 5mm down into the hubs. He sorted it out, but the car is now another 5mm lower, which means it scrubs & catches on everything!! Bit of a pain as it means ill have to set the ride height up again, c'est la vie ...

Final addition was the wireless haldex controller, took 10 minutes to change the unit under the car, then another 15 to get the wire from underneath into the transponder in the boot. Then have a key ring to adjust throug the settings as & when required:

IMG_3388.jpg

First impressions? Steering & front end are amazing (despite the tracking being so far out that the steering angle sensor warning light has come on lol), turn in is sharper, grip is better, & as a bonus, there is some additional weight to the steering - which is always a welcome bonus. Ride is slightly harder due to the polybushes, but i dont think the slightly reduced suspension travel is helping either tbh.

Haldex controller? Havent really pushed the car at all, but you can feel some additional 'push' from the rear when you really boot it. Certainly not a drifting machine, but the grip is phenomenal now. In the interests of science i absolutely hoofed it in 1st coming out of the junction last night, in the p1ssing rain, and it basically just f*cked off up the road, no understeer, no wheelspin, just launch.

Mental :eek:

So the Golf is now the perfect allrounder, my work is done.

Unfortunately its time to buy a house (spending £1100 a month to rent is just bonkers), & the R32 is quite a bit of my deposit, most of it in fact lol. So the plate is coming off and one of the most highly maintained & pampered R32's will be up for sale shortly. Feel free to pm me if interested.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol! Only me and you would spend good money on a car then sell it.