ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Great work, shame on Llandow.

Heated seats, you're going soft in old age ;)

Yeah, tis a shame, although i am doing the Passionford day at Bedford if you're going?

<3 heated seats, cant be without them now, was a 'must have' in all the e46's ive owned lol ...

Facking love them!

Thought you might ;)

How do you find the R on fuel. What's it cost to fill and what mpg do you see? I fancy one but do 350 miles a week.

Its not amazing, but ive owned 330's/M3's for years, so anything around 30 ish is ok. Currently averaging 26-27 due to the cold weather/heavy foot, although with gentler driving, ie sat at 75-80 on cruise, it will just about crack 30-31, i get bored easily though. I tend to get to 300 miles then fill up, so you'd be using just over a tank a week at a guess. Its no worse than a 197/200 for example, but you get a proper engine lol.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
My miles are about to be reduced by 90% anyways, so it'll be reet.

What's going on Dave, not bad news I hope?

Moving closer to the office, job-change closer to home, or decided that the daily blat up the M3 isn't for you anymore and you're going to switch to public transport and a life in the bus lane? ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Seats look awesome Dave!! You should just be able to turn off the seat circuit instead of putting resisitors in with VCDS mate. I had to do it on my bus when I went over to V5 interior.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What's going on Dave, not bad news I hope?

Moving closer to the office, job-change closer to home, or decided that the daily blat up the M3 isn't for you anymore and you're going to switch to public transport and a life in the bus lane? ;)

Moving to Weybridge so literally around the corner from work, whoop whoop. Hence the recent expenditure, because ill be saving money on fuel. Pre-planning/spending FTW
rofl.gif
Sod using public transport lol.

Just read about the seats circuit Scrooge, will still make the airbag light flash for a few seconds, but it'll go off then.

Turbos.
So are they optional R32 seats or optional Mk6 R seats? They look very similar to mine, but mine have alcantara in the centre and cost £3k as an option! Considering they don't tilt and slide, or have much adjustment, a horrific price! However, they are fantastic to sit in and the first comment people usually make; really lifts the interior of car.

photo17.jpg

photo16.jpg

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Love the detail of the .:R, really nice finishing touch and attention to detail.

Look at the gangster lean on those!

He has to with his short legs and normal arms, but the seat is usually a foot closer to the wheel :p

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So are they optional R32 seats or optional Mk6 R seats?
photo16.jpg

Mine are the optional R32 seats, so exactly the same as yours bar the alcantara centres. Am liking your steering wheel, DSG gearknob/gaitor, satnav & climate panel, might have to retrofit them to mine at some point. Certainly cheaper than buying a new R ;)

Look at the gangster lean on those!

Cheeky f*ck, as Vish says, my legs are too short :eek:

Rob - the creases will probably come out, although i dont tend to notice them when im sat down so im not too fussed at the moment. Just like i cant see the outside of the car when im driving it. Lucky really, its minging atm lol.

BMW M135i
The only downside to them is that you have to be sooooo careful with them, not a lot of padding and soft leather means they'll mark so so easily. I've banned certain pains of jeans from driving these days after one experience.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
great read through this thread Dave some great upgrades you have made. those seats are epic!

Would love one of these purely for the noise they make. How much does it cost to fill a full tank? My st is about £70 and get 280-330miles though I do not do any motorway journeys all A/B roads to work.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Think it's just over £80 and you'd probably get similar or a little more depending on driving. I can see you in one Gaz! So cheap now!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Think it's just over £80 and you'd probably get similar or a little more depending on driving.

I filled it from '5 miles remaining' last night and it cost just over £70 - that usually gets me between 280-330 miles so roughly the same as a Focus ST really. As Gally says though, they are great VFM these days!! Much more so than the Gti, & usually come with a far better spec. As far as im aware, barring the sunroof, mine is now fully loaded, ie all options ticked.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Think it's just over £80 and you'd probably get similar or a little more depending on driving. I can see you in one Gaz! So cheap now!

Mate I have always liked them but with the ST running 317bhp and the torque for similiar running costs and cheaper tax it will be a car that passes me by I think. I know prices are great on them. Dont see me giving up the focus though as I really like it, plus bought a mint ph1 172 the other month ;)

I filled it from '5 miles remaining' last night and it cost just over £70 - that usually gets me between 280-330 miles so roughly the same as a Focus ST really. As Gally says though, they are great VFM these days!! Much more so than the Gti, & usually come with a far better spec. As far as im aware, barring the sunroof, mine is now fully loaded, ie all options ticked.

Yeah pretty much similar to the focus then, I had it in my head they were a lot thirstier than even the foucs hence why I never got one when I bought the focus. Yours does look great mate, I am really liking the progress you have made so far. Any other plans?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate, you can get lower tax ones pre 06 iirc. :)

Lotus Elise
Not really, just fitting all the parts i've stockpiled (Haldex controller arrived today), then maybe getting some DS2500 front pads in time for the Bedford trackday in Feb. After that, ill just enjoy it really, certainly not spending 8 grand on boosting it lol.

For now ;)

Lotus Elise

Similar to the Porka then

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Indeed mate, you can get lower tax ones pre 06 iirc. :)

Yeah I know but still not quick enough after the ST lol!

Not really, just fitting all the parts i've stockpiled (Haldex controller arrived today), then maybe getting some DS2500 front pads in time for the Bedford trackday in Feb. After that, ill just enjoy it really, certainly not spending 8 grand on boosting it lol.

Have you done any track days in it already? Be interested to hear what its like on the track. Ah whats 8k when you have boost ;)

Porsche Boxster987S
Gaz , speed aside , they are a long way ahead of the ST IMO . And Scott (who has the mk4 32) had his ST with mods for 3 years so I know a lot about them .

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Gaz , speed aside , they are a long way ahead of the ST IMO . And Scott (who has the mk4 32) had his ST with mods for 3 years so I know a lot about them .

Aw I know mate I love yours too! But at the minute I am loving boost far too much, big kid really!

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
I really want one, mainly for the noise but i'd be scared of getting bored as they only have like 250bhp standard dont they?

S3 Sportback, Ninja
How does it compare to your e46 m3? I have always loved them, but as Gaz85 said the on paper performance versus mpg etc made me look at other things. Part of me would still love one in black I think with miltec the same seats as yours and slammed. I always keep a look out for supercharged ones though!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I love how people think these are slow LOL!! Very fast cars is real life situations.

They just ooze class. IMO!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
i'd be scared of getting bored as they only have like 250bhp standard dont they?

How does it compare to your e46 m3?

Was waiting for the M3 comparison ;)

To be honest, the M3 would absolutely r4pe the R32 speed wise, there is simply no comparison, except off the line in the damp. The M simply pulls and pulls and pulls, you dont really realise how quick it is until you are able to fully unleash it abroad (like the Brecons in Wales lol). Yes its rapid below 70, but its only really getting into its stride then, the way it continues to pull through 3rd, to 4th and into 5th is simply immense. And the wail. Oh the wail. Its like driving a truck normally however, which meant for my daily commuting, i simply got fed up with the heavy clutch, jerky throttle and feeling that i was always 'reining it in'. However, for that weekend in Wales, it was simply incredible, however, to have fun in it, you need to be doing some seriously silly speeds (which is daft on the road), & the standard brakes are sh1te.

The R32 by comparison is slower, but still sounds epic, so you can safely drive it around at more 'maximum attack' than the M3 without worrying about blue flashing lights all the time. On the motorway, when it kicks down in DSG it is rapid, no question about that, it will happily ruin a clio 1*2/197/200 as ive found out a couple of times, whilst drinking a cup of coffee with my arm on the armrest. Handling wise it is a much 'safer' proposition than the M3 in that you simply turn in and go around a corner, no need to worry about oversteer or for 99% of the time, understeer. At road speeds, you would have to be driving like a right mong to get it out of shape.

Which i guess is where the issue lies, the R32 is a stunning way of travelling quickly and id probably put money on it being able to keep an M3 honest on a back road as its so much easier to drive for most drivers. The M3 requires skill to peddle really quickly, which it where its 'Evo'ness comes from, its able to really deliver at eight-tenths plus, whereas the R32 doesnt have the ability to give that last two-tenths of driving pleasure.

As a daily, the R32 is better imho, its a 5 door family hatchback so immensely practical and without the constant fear of M priced breakages. Will it still keep me amused in 6 months time now my commute is shorter and driving is more for pleasure? Im not sure, but conversely, im not sure id want to go back to the worry of ///M ownership at the moment.

S3, Polo
Did you mention that you'd fitted the Blue Haldex controller, Dave? If you have, how have you found it compared to stock?

I've been eyeing up a used one as a bit of a pre-Christmas treat to myself. :)