ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27- Had my first service and also had the ecu reprogrammed under warrante

11,000 miles done ... everything was fine really. Brake pads only 30% worn on the front which I was really happy about because my cooper s was doing a new set every 8000 miles.

Front tyres are completely shot but I knew that anyway- new ones going on next week.

My front drivers seat recaro has of course come undone around the stitching on the edge - the service centre were fine about that being done under guarante - they have to order the seat cover and it goes back in next week.

£238 all in which is expensive but not too over the top imo.

And now to the ecu fix.........

So far im impressed. I didnt really have a big problem with the cold start but as I had heard about this fix being avaliable under warrante I thought I might as well get it done. Left the car for 6 hours last night- no problems what so ever when I started her up. Then left it over night, normally I get this problem bad for the first couple of minutes driving in the morning. It makes it difficult to pull out of my road onto a busy street, but the kangarooing normally goes within about two to five minutes. This morning the car was perfect straight away- much smoother and no signs at all of the cold start jumpyness.

Also my fuel efficiency is up by about 8mpg, and the car generally feels smoother through the gears and quicker lower down the range- of course that could just be my brain playing tricks on me, but im convinced there is a big deifference- especially when the engine is cold.

All in all Im pretty happy with the service I got from Crossroads renault Oxford - and certainly recommend the cold start fix to all 197 owners.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Sounds good buddy, take it there's no similar fix for the 182?

Or if there was I guess it was ages ago...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
11,000 miles done ... everything was fine really. Brake pads only 30% worn on the front which I was really happy about because my cooper s was doing a new set every 8000 miles.
I wouldn't pay any attention to that figure, they pull them out of thin air. I was told mine were 50% worn. The day after new pads/discs were fitted. They just give you a number based on your mileage.

White clique
I've had the cold start fix and can vouch for the improved drivability - also better low down torque and flat spots are gone.

I'm not sure about the 8mpg improvement though, mines improved by 0.5 to about 29mpg. What MPG are you showing at the moment? The MPG reading is set to 99.9 when the program is done i think, if you reset it and drive around for a week, you'll probably see there is an MPG improvement, but not by as much as 8.

White clique
Is this kangaroo problem persistent across the mk3 range? I believe my old boys car may suffer from this?!?

not too sure it is, the cold start issue on the 197 was so they could keep the co2 emissions below a certain level (there is a massive thread on this on the official renault sport forum), prob worth a call to the dealer to see if it affects other cars.

Quote their actis solution munber 7103 and ask if its all mk3 clios.

Liquid Yellow 197 F1
Has this only been released recently? Mine suffers from the cold start quite badly and jumps around all over the place.
Does it really pull better in the lower revs or is it just peoples minds playing tricks on them?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
nice price mate.have you used them a lot?

Might have to take mine in to get this done - Hate the flatspots. But only ever kangaroo'd on me once in the year I've owned my car.

Might get the gearbox looked at too, as it's started to take more of an effort to get into first gear.

Golf 7R
Mines in for the cold start ecu patch on Friday. The dealer was aware of the issue, and all is covered under warranty!

Anyone know how long they need your car for?

Liquid Yellow 197 F1
Well i just went into my local dealer and they said that unless its doing it constantly they won't do it, and its not recommended as it might make the problem worse.
So i don't know wether to book it into another dealership or just leave it?
Would be good to see some more feed back from people that have had it done so i can decide.

Golf 7R
Well i just went into my local dealer and they said that unless its doing it constantly they won't do it, and its not recommended as it might make the problem worse.
So i don't know wether to book it into another dealership or just leave it?
Would be good to see some more feed back from people that have had it done so i can decide.

Sounds like typical dealer talk! How can it possibly make it worse?

Golf 7R
Do you think i should take it to another dealership then?

Yes i would mate. My local ( Darlingtons Harlow ) is a joke TBH! Im suprised that the staff are not wearing oversized shoes, a big red nose, and a spinning bow ties!

I had to travel a wee bit and have now found a fantastic dealer!

Where are you based?

White clique
@ luke_m - there is a huge thread on the renaultsport official forum and 995 of people who have had it done are happy with it

@lei69gh - they need to apply the patch from cold then test it, so overnight then back to you lunchtime-ish.

Clio 200 Silverstone
I had my 1st service done on saturday and when i dropped the car off in the morning i asked about this 'fix' and they said they knew nothing about it! Should i go back and try again or just try somewhere else? My car does jump like hell when its been sat around for ages.

I got mine done last Friday. Phoned up about it around lunchtime and by 4pm it had been done. Power definitely comes in lower down the rev range, fuel economy has jumped from 25MPG to 29MPG.

The ECU was reflashed by Hemming in Chichester.

ST
Bit of a rip that...i paid £145 for my 12k service at my local reno dealer...came to £166 in total after they fitted and balaced the two fronts i'd supplied.

ST
I got mine done last Friday. Phoned up about it around lunchtime and by 4pm it had been done. Power definitely comes in lower down the rev range, fuel economy has jumped from 25MPG to 29MPG.

I've had mine into the local stealer about this twice, they still say there is no fault with the car and that they won't just 'do it' FFS, kunts!!

White clique
i had my 197 through it first service yesterday, only fault was a rattling exhaust which was a simple rubber buffer realignment, £227 it cost me.

The ECU program i had done back in June is still working fine for me.

Can anybody verify the cut off date for the cars that need this 'fix' doing??

I have read somewhere that cars registered after March dont need this 'fix' as they're already done from the factory.

I popped into my local stealers, Sunwin in Derby, and they accessed my cars info and informed me it didnt show up as needed doing (my 197 is registered May 08).

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I was just about to ask when would the fix be put on factory built cars I got mine in March and it has only had an issue with kangaroo'in once or twice but generally drives fine?

RB R27
I better ask about this cold start fix thing, the first i've heard of it lol. Is it a major problem? My service is due next week i think, the light is on anyway lol

RB R27
I better ask about this cold start fix thing, the first i've heard of it lol. Is it a major problem? My service is due next week i think, the light is on anyway lol

White clique
Its March 2008 that the patch was pre-loaded on apparantly. Obviously thats the date of manufacture, not the reg date.

RB R27
mines is older than that, i better ask about it when i'm in next week. i haven't even driven my car yet lol

Its March 2008 that the patch was pre-loaded on apparantly. Obviously thats the date of manufacture, not the reg date.

I've read the cut off date is March too. Been informed not required on mine as first registered in May 08.

Is there any way of determining the build date, from the chassis number for example??

White clique
I've read the cut off date is March too. Been informed not required on mine as first registered in May 08.

Is there any way of determining the build date, from the chassis number for example??

not quite sure, i dont think the 197 was a car that has ever been built and stocked in bulk, as the waiting time from new is about 6 weeks, so they seem to build to order(ish).

The only way really is to try and get your dealer to cooperate and run a check on yours to see which version is loaded on at the moment, or see if they will kindly offer to install the new software anyway.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Nah, you'll maybe get a 1-2 mpg improvement, thats it. I had mine done a few months ago, and see about 27/28mpg

Lee

BMW M2C
I had mine done today, along with the 12k service. It didn't kangaroo when I left the garage, so far so good.

LY R27
Well I live in the UAE and my R27 has had the kangaroo problem from day one. Hard to believe when its 34 degrees in the morning : (

Had the car re-mapped too (r-sport) and still have the problem. Lucky for me the drivers over hear are completely bonkers so gunning it from start on a morning playing with V8's soon warms it up : )