ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 F1 clio vs Mk5 golf gti (mapped 240bhp)

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
just wondering which one would outperform the other.

am taking into account handling / 0-60 and top speed

any thoughts?

Renault clio 182 cup
golf 5 gti:dead: hate them underpowered and for a 2 litre-turbo 197hp is pathetic!! i mean you have to map it to get any real power..

Nippy white cup
Having played about with my m8s remapped mk5 and his std Ed30 you should be reasonabley close till probably 70-80 then he will pull away and the faster you go the faster he will pull away. Mileage will make a difference as well...when he only had about a 1000miles on it I pulled past him in the Cup as I went into 4th gear so about 95mph....be interesting blast now but it certainly feels very rapid

Chris

ST
Standard vs standard they are pretty much equal and without going into the 'twisties' debate.

Golf GTI Ed30
golf 5 gti:dead: hate them underpowered and for a 2 litre-turbo 197hp is pathetic!! i mean you have to map it to get any real power..
Yeah but when you do it's sooooooooooooooooooooo good.. lol
The standard GTI (197bhp) doesnt exactly have tarmac rippling power, no. But if you want more then go for either the Edition 30 or Pirelli (230bhp) which is the same as the likes of the R26 etc, so not under powered. Plus if you want another 70+ bhp, just chuck £500 at it.

Renaultsport 200
No question a 240 bhp golf would rape a 197.

My dad has one (not modified) and even that will start to pull away in 3rd and 4th

182 Trophy
No question a 240 bhp golf would rape a 197.

My dad has one (not modified) and even that will start to pull away in 3rd and 4th

how do you know that
a s**t heavy golf with 197bhp will not pull away from a 197 in any gear
and enter the twisties its eat clio dust voltsvaaagen

Polo + Micra
i think the torque would win

hell in my polo (which probably has they same sort of power as a 197) overtook a 197 easier than the 182 i had a little blast with

also the 197 decided he didn't like the fact i was quicker and thought he would jam his brakes on rather than pull over into the empty lane and then turn towards me when i went into that lane:rolleyes:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The Golf GTi's a very capable car. A standard one is bang on 182 pace, ie similar to a 197. So a remapped one would be faster, no doubt.

J

J182sport

I had a mk5 gti about 4months ago standard was a quick car but not as quick as you would think in standard form, i also had a play with one the other day on a private road and it was quite funny to be honest i thought id see what happens so off i went my car is a 182 matched lets and remap running around 185 mark so its not standard)from 50mph i was stuck to his back till 13*! then he moved!

although im not saying a remap'd gti would be easy..in my golf i found all the power was low down you could be in fifth gear at 40mph and floor it and it would just pick up at go.was a great car to own but go bored and wanted a little fun back!

RB 182 Cup
line them up in real life the golf would eat it. Talk about it on a clio forum the extra 60hp don't mean jack lol clio would win or be equal :p

Golf 7R
Yeah the Golf will pull on the straight stuff. However, not to the extent where you need to throw quotes like "rape" and "eat" into the equation .. it's not an M5!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Yeah the Golf will pull on the straight stuff. However, not to the extent where you need to throw quotes like "rape" and "eat" into the equation .. it's not an M5!

Oblierate or dessimate a 197 imho

172 /megane cab

would love to see this on video cos i reckon the golf would get 1 may be two lengths of the car ahead of a 197 in the straight line i would call this a golf eating a 197

R27
it would rape a 197, but i tried drag with a stock GTI with my R27 with remap and managed to be on par or winning by 1-2 foot only. But Golf is good after 200km/h ..hehe
Thats where i got raped.

Renaultsport Clio 197
maped GTI will always beat a stock 197 in a straight line.Standard vs standard, clio is quicker up to a certain silly speed, clio will max out at 225ish kmh and GTI will pull for a bit longer.

Handling-wise, it'll be up to the driver but clio should be better on very tight roads.Average joe vs average joe - gti should win just cause it can pull out of a corner harder.

Tiff Needel in a 197 VS average joe in a maped GTI - Clio will win everytime ;)

GTD, Lupo
always been a vw person up untill now and to be honest I think it would be closer than you guys think. Remapped mk4/mk5/leons will always struggle to get the power down. Slight bit of water or coming of a bend and with the design of the remaps it will just spin the tyres. The golf will clearly win as it modified but I don't think it will be the smashing people seem to think it will be. Standard wish my money would be on the clio but a lot will come down to driver skill.

To back this up I went gti spring festival at the pod back in April and mapped mk5s/roccos were making some pants times.

Paul

Last edited:
  Renaultsport 200

Have you driven one? I own a 197 and I think a VW GTi has buckets more usable power day to day. Underpowered it isn't imo.

The mid range is brutal and it will top 140mph.

Renaultsport 200
The golf doesnt even have to be mapped! Once the Golf is in top end 2nd and into 3rd it will pull on a 197.

immaculate clio 172
how do you know that
a s**t heavy golf with 197bhp will not pull away from a 197 in any gear
and enter the twisties its eat clio dust voltsvaaagen
sorry guys i hate to say it now in a 172 man but i sold a 2006 mk5 standard gti a couple of months ago and my mate has a 2007 f1 197 and even he said the golf has bags more torque and usable power, as said get into 2nd/3rd and they just go and go seriously a 172, 182 or 197 is no match in a straight line for the gti 90mph in 3rd 120+ in 4th and 150+ in 6th no problem.
I never got chance to remap mine but rekon they must be a weapon when they are tbh love my 172 as bargain fun for money but really miss the gti grunt and turbo wind up in all honesty :D

Renaultsport 200
sorry guys i hate to say it now in a 172 man but i sold a 2006 mk5 standard gti a couple of months ago and my mate has a 2007 f1 197 and even he said the golf has bags more torque and usable power, as said get into 2nd/3rd and they just go and go seriously a 172, 182 or 197 is no match in a straight line for the gti 90mph in 3rd 120+ in 4th and 150+ in 6th no problem.
I never got chance to remap mine but rekon they must be a weapon when they are tbh love my 172 as bargain fun for money but really miss the gti grunt and turbo wind up in all honesty :D

Im sure I just said pretty much exactly the same thing a couple of posts up?;)

I beleive it so much ill say it again though and join in with the CS echo.

A golf, mapped or not will pull on a 197. Take it from someone who owns a 197 and has driven a good few thousand miles in a MK5 GTi. Once in 3rd its all over.

Nimbus 197
Put the two on a country lane and its a different story to them on a drag strip. Me, I prefer handling, if you want straight line, get the golf.
Few mates have the Golfs and yes, they are quicker, but when we are up in the Dales I get comments about "heat soak" Brakes fading" " missed gearchanges" and the like, as they can never catch me ;)

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
You have to laugh at people saying the Golf is heavy. If the information I've just read is correct, it weighs 1328Kg. Not that heavy at all! Besides which, if it's mapped to 240bhp, that's 183bhp/ton. I won't even mention the torque.

End of the day, the Clio would only be on a par with a standard Golf never mind one with an extra 40bhp.

I'd say in a 1/4 mile, the Golf (240bhp) would out-drag the Clio by a good 3 car lengths.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Have the Edition 30 of these had anything special done to them as I have a couple of tales against them.

immaculate clio 172
mate dont even go there with the edition 30 they in a different leauge again to the standard golf gti think they 240 bhp from stock with bigger turbo etc too ko4 turbo instead of the gti's k03 unit, so easy to get silly power from them ie over 300 bhp no probs

GTD, Lupo
two totally different classed car. The megan is more on par with the golf. Clio more on par with the polo and to be honest they are a waste of time.

Pointless comparison.
Paul

Renaultsport 200
Lol dont think it will rape it! Golfs weigh a s**t loads ;)

There is only 88kg's difference.

I promise you, a mk5 GTi will do the raping. I know for a fact it will.

I gave the one I had for sometime the berries and I had a full car. I did it rolling in 3rd gear and it just picked up its heels and went with no effort at all.

Golf v 197 (and I own a 197) there is no contest. The golf will be gone.

Cornering is a different story, the 197 will do it all day long.

EDIT - You also have to remember the 197 makes nothing like 197ps. I didn't RR the golf, but I would bet my house on the German making stated figures.