ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio thefts

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
After eight years of worry-free 182 ownership, I've started to get worried about security. The reason: an FN2 Honda Civic Type R was recently stolen from my road in south east London without the need for any smashed windows or breaking of steering lock. Whatever tool the criminals had at their disposal, it enabled them to unlock the car, start it and drive off without any fuss. The car was recovered 48 hours later thanks to pure luck; someone somehow spotted it parked up on the other side of London, presumably because the thieves wanted to make sure it didn't have a tracker fitted before they took it to their place.

Unsurprisingly, the whole incident has me a little worried, firstly because of the ease at which the thieves took the car, and also because this FN2 itself is probably only worth about £8k - so my circa £3k ish Clio and its even more primitive security systems may not escape their criminal interests, as I'd always assumed it would. My car's got enough shiny aftermarket bits on it to potentially attract attention for its value in parts. So I'm wondering if many people here have suffered at the hands of crims with their Renaults? And if they've been able to get into cars without the keys, as they did in the Honda?

As a deterrent, I'd been looking at getting a steering wheel lock but now I'm thinking of getting a quick release boss. Taking the wheel off Mr Bean style might be more fun...

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Are the FN2’s keyless entry?

I wouldn’t worry about the Clio - it’s 9/10 they’re after keyless entry cars these days. Theyre a lot less hassle to get in and started without smashing anything. A £2-3k Clio wouldn’t (IMO) be worth the risk over a newer more expensive car with keyless.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Are the FN2’s keyless entry?

I wouldn’t worry about the Clio - it’s 9/10 they’re after keyless entry cars these days. Theyre a lot less hassle to get in and started without smashing anything. A £2-3k Clio wouldn’t (IMO) be worth the risk over a newer more expensive car with keyless.

It's actually a conventional remote locking key that you have to put into the ignition, like the Clio. Which has only added to my worries!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I wouldn’t worry, the FN2 has more desirable parts i.e the K20 engine which is probably the main reason they are stolen. Nobody gives a monkeys about the F4R.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
No point losing sleep over something like this. Clips aren’t desirable in the thieves eyes. Fn2 is a desirable car and rare. 172/182 as much as you may love it is nothing special to these folk

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
[emoji848]
e89555afbac5a110943368e44558665a.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I thought that! no one wants an old clio! had my mint 52 reg 172 from new then in 2015 some fucker stole it no glass no mess just gone (with a 50 quid bypass of the net I later discovered!)
Never saw it again. fit a disklok to everything I have had since.
If it fits what they need at the time
for whatever reason whatever it is they will take it if you have no extra security.

I always thought it would never happen to me 🙄