ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Xenon question

172, Tiguan
Noticed that my nearside Xenon didn't fire up last night so turned the lights on and off a few times and it came on, and stayed on.

Got home and tested it again and didn't fire up, but then this morning it was all fine again.

Does this sound like a dodgy connection or a starter pack on the way out?

Cheers.

I would check all the connections first mate. Does sounds like them.
Had the same problem with my HIDs and it turned out to be the wire going into the ballast wasn't clicked in properly.

Failing that it could be a sign of the ballast starting to go but I would just keep and eye on it for now

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Failing ballast possibly? They do deteriorate over time.

Hyundai i40
mine did this for a few days, then after a few days no probs at all and been fine since

So dont rush into spending loads fixing it for a few days

all i did was made sure wires were in properly and bulb was in right

172, Tiguan
Yeah, hopefully if the weather stays good i'll be able to have a good look at all the connections. Once the light comes on, it stays on and doesn't flicker. This is what made me think it was the starter rather than the ballast. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Clio 182
Have got the same fault with mine at the moment. Dont think it is a loose wire as when its on it stays on.:(
Going to have a look over the weekend so will let you know if i find anything to look for.

RB FF 182
I've experienced this, and resolved it! Obviously it may not be the same for you...

I was going to shell out for a new ballast as mine were doing exactly the same thing, but before I spend £80+ i decided to whip the bumper off and swap the ballasts over to see if the problem followed the ballast... it didn't!

So I went on ebay and purchased a new started that goes on to the rear of the bulb thinking that this would resolve it, cost me about £15 I think... However it didn't fix the issue. I then noticed the Xenon that was giving me the problems was actually turning pink!!

Got a set of 8000k D2R (maybe D2S, can't remember now!) bulbs off eBay, problem solved!

So long story short, switch the components around and see if that solves it, if not I'd try new bulbs! :)

iceberg silver 172
i have the same problem with o/s headlight its been like it for months now
started off by fading to a purple then pink, then used to flicker really fast like a stobe light for 10-15 seconds! now some times comes on and goes straight off or dont come on at all, but followed my missus home the other night and she told when driving over bumps it was flicking on/off???

so reading some of the other threads it sounds like it could be loose wiring,but been told it could be the ballast?

any advice/help appreciated

how do you remove the headlamp???? do you need to remove the front bumper aaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh renaults lol

RB FF 182
i have the same problem with o/s headlight its been like it for months now
started off by fading to a purple then pink, then used to flicker really fast like a stobe light for 10-15 seconds! now some times comes on and goes straight off or dont come on at all, but followed my missus home the other night and she told when driving over bumps it was flicking on/off???

so reading some of the other threads it sounds like it could be loose wiring,but been told it could be the ballast?

any advice/help appreciated

how do you remove the headlamp???? do you need to remove the front bumper aaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh renaults lol

Yeah the front bumper has to come off. There's a guide on here somewhere its dead easy.

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
i have same problem with right hand headlight unit.ive swapped bulbs ignitors balast unit and even tried pluging in the left hand wiring plugs and it still doesnt always light up!!!!!!! so its something to do with the whole headlamp assembly which i cant figure out is why?