ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question on mk1 suspension/ lowering

1997 Mk1 1.2
Hi guys , I've broke a spring on my front passenger side of my mk1 ,
Last night I got it up on axle stands and removed both struts , the struts are showing quite bad signs of wear and i have decided to replace both struts and springs at once ,
I've been wanting to lower the front end for a while now, so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone :)

I'd love some coil overs , but the budget won't allow ( bad times :( )

My questions are:

Can I put lowering strings on new standard struts? Or will it cause them to wear/ or to bottom out ?

Not had a chance to look at any drawings or measurements yet , so thought I'd see if anyone has had any success?

I'm thinking of lowering the front by either 40-50mm

If for example , if it says the the springs lower by 50mm , is that the drop after the springs have settled in?

Or is that the initial drop after fitting and they get lower as the springs bed in?
(I.e 50mm ,after bedding in 60mm??)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Personaly i would go max 40mm on standard shocks.

Also get progressive wound springs and not linear! Or you will have a very harsh ride.

I found having shortend shocks(aftermarket) helped alot on the rear. Have you had the rear lowered on the torsion bar yet?

1997 Mk1 1.2
Ok thanks bud , you recommend good reasonably priced springs ? (Brand wise) , not really keen on 'eBay specials'
im new to the clio scene , any good websites you recommend?

I think ill either go for 35-40 mm , plenty of those red box speedbumps round these ends , but I reckon it shouldnt cause any problems,

Yes I'm lowered about 30 - 40mm on the back ,on standard shocks , just to level out how the car sits ,
slight bit of reverse rake , but nothing drastic ,
Ill have to look into some rear shocks as the back is abit firm :) stopped rolling in corners though