ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pumas

clio 197 cup
the 1.7 puma was one of the best cars produced by ford imo.lovely handling and terrific balance,with an engine that just loved to be revved.too many are driven by women though,who bought them for their looks,and sadly,will probably never get the best out of them.

steve

C

Cupster

pumaracing.jpg

hubba hubba

Would have been a stonker with an ST170 lump (at least!)

Had both the standard 1.7 (in blue) and the Racing Puma.. the 1.7 was the 1st new car I ever bought... and the only car I wasnt remotely exited about picking up from the dalership? I remember going to get it and saying 'I dont even want this car' lol.. ? no idea what I was thinking... but it was an 'in between car to fill in for a bit' I kept it about 2 months and couldnt live with it any longer...(it felt a bit girly) and bought a Racing Puma which I was exited about collecting! Highly rate the Racing and the handling spot on (around the lanes it was very planted). The power was lacking tho... as someone said earlier... over 60mph... it would stuggle to pull away from a standard Puma...felt gutless after 80mph. Ford should have stuck the cossy engine in this stunner.. and then I'd have kept it :) I still rate the looks... I dont think its really dated that much. Looks awesome.. handles spot on... power 'wanting' and could easily be embarrassed by a less impressive car.

Some old pics of the FRP.. the interior was a bit blue.. the front seats held you well tho..

racingpumaincar.jpg

mypumaRacinginterior.jpg

racingpumawheel.jpg

MYPUMAPIC.jpg

ITB'd MK1
the 1.7 is a truly brilliant car, that's why they extended the run from 1500 a year for 3 years right upto a 7 year production run of pretty much as many as they could make. The racing is for people who like to pose and can't appreciate perfect balance and need added ponce (think cossie wide arches and gay wing)

Clio 197
Really looked at this before buying the 197, took one for a test drive and loved it. Handled very well and looked so nice, the seats were lovely but like the guys have said who owned them. After about 60 or 70 it just died on its ass. When i got in the clio and planted the loud pedal it felt so much quicker.
I do think the clio would easily keep up with it in all situations as well, especially as the 197 brakes are just as good if not better than the puma.