ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulled over for my 3/4 plate...

Titanium 182
Well finally after having 3/4 height sized plates on my two Clio 1*2's (for the last 4 years combined) I got pulled over and fined.

I was driving back from uni late last night, when a Volvo patrol car approached the junction ahead of me, and immediately hesitated until I'd passed. They then proceeded to follow me for about 1/2 a mile down the road before putting the blues on. I pulled over, naturally, and they asked me to take a seat in the back of their car. Knowing I'm fully insured/mot'd and my licence has no points or any issues I did wonder what I'd been pulled for - perhaps just a check out of curiosity given the time of night? Maybe my Yozzasport was a little loud for their liking? - until they informed me the reason was for my small plate.

He then started writing out a ticket whilst the driver went around my car checking tyre depths to find nothing immediately wrong "keep an eye on the inside of your nearside rear, other than that, you're alright". They gave me a £60 ticket and let me go on my way.

Apparently they're coming down hard on obstructive plates in the area, so anybody in Huddersfield/Holmfirth, keep your eyes peeled!

Now I have to go back to sporting the bugs bunny look on my Clio. :dead:

Alien Green 200
Had mine on ages, no bother. Got pulled other day for summat else and he didnt even notice the plate. Awesome.

Iceberg Clio 172
are the letters the same size as standard on a 3/4 plate? I understand why they dont like fancy fonts or crazy spacing because the ANPR can't read it but 3/4 plate with standard font is a bit harsh. Motorbikes dont need front ones so why do cars?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I think it's because of this network of anpr cameras up and down the country that check plates and look for drug dealers and terrorists etc.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Just a £60 fine. I had one for a 3/4 plate on my old car, no issues with this one but if I do ever get stopped ill change it ofc, just looks so much better with it imo!

FF RB 182
As long as the font is standard i'm sure ANPR cameras can read them.. as the square plates are read fine etc. My new car has one and i'll be getting one made with my private plate on, may keep my old one spare in the car just incase.

Phase 1 172
I dont know why the police care so much! ANPR cameras are better than they let on! been in the back of a police car in the past and a caravan went past with a hand written plate on the back, and the ANPR could read it.

they have to do so much in one month like fines etc if they are under target by the end they become pricks to hit target. so if you get pulled for some bullshit reason it will be because of this!

2002 clio sport
I cant see it either, but could possably be held against them or they might be abit more tolerant about it and just give a warning

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
What about a plate that's standard height with standard spaced lettering but isn't the standard width because it a private plate with only got 5 characters. Would that be illegal?

Astra Twintop
What about a plate that's standard height with standard spaced lettering but isn't the standard width because it a private plate with only got 5 characters. Would that be illegal?

They all have to comply to the standard plate sizing.

Look at "AMS 1"

Its only 4 letters, but its full sized.

Titanium 182

I asked the very same question, and although they couldn't give me a straight answer, they did give me a form with all the rules and regulations on it. I imagine because you only need a certain width from the edges, you could probably get away with it being 'slimmed down,' but it'll still attract their attention to your car.

LY Megane R26
I'v had mine about 2 years now and never been pulled for it *touch wood* and its gone in for MOT today:)

320d
I've been pulled twice with mine on and nothing has been said. Well other than about the erm, excessive speed.

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
Not worth the £60 fine as ive already recieved.

They dont look anything brilliant to warrant the fine or the hassle.

Simple clean plates with no shitty borders or GB logos look perfect.

PH2 RS172
Everyone round my way gets nailed for dodgy plates. I have a sheet at work with all the requirements on... Off the top of my head the letters must be 78mm in height... There is also a set distance away from each letter with a set space from the edges. You can have a less wide plate if you have a private reg with less characters on but other than that height wise youre stuck. I too couldnt be bothered with the aggro hence my standard clean plates...

I had a regular plate fitted to my Clio for five years and never got tugged. Plus it looked perfectly normal, and no human on Earth would ever have looked at it and thought it needed changing.

Weird.

Listerine & Poledo
I had a regular plate fitted to my Clio for five years and never got tugged. Plus it looked perfectly normal, and no human on Earth would ever have looked at it and thought it needed changing.

Weird.

Strange isn't it, number plates i the correct size and format don't get pulled, but the ones that aren't are wrong?

Almost as if there's laws in this country. Bloody police, doing their job,

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Strange isn't it, number plates i the correct size and format don't get pulled, but the ones that aren't are wrong?

Almost as if there's laws in this country. Bloody police, doing their job,

No s**t, if you actually read the OP he isn't complaining that he thought it was legal at any point.

Megane r26
End of the day there illegal, must have been eagle eyes copper though!

I've ran one for about 4 years with no problems touch wood and people don't even notice it including the old bill.

Just a case of take it on the chin I guess.

Ph1 T
True..

Or knowing someone dodgy :) Cant imagine mine would get anywhere near to passing does everytime though ;)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I dont know why the police care so much! ANPR cameras are better than they let on! been in the back of a police car in the past and a caravan went past with a hand written plate on the back, and the ANPR could read it.

they have to do so much in one month like fines etc if they are under target by the end they become pricks to hit target. so if you get pulled for some bullshit reason it will be because of this!

They have nothing else better to do, they annoy me so much that all they wanna do is pull people over that have spent a lot & looked after there cars, But they are illegal, ive not been tugged just yet lol

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
But people annoy me with spacing ie

This is an example
C11 RIS
putting it like this
C11RIS
and putting a black gromit in between the 11 to make it look like a H