ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 dead - options and advice.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
My flat mate has a slim line... You dont play FIFA do you?

Apparently it common and happens to his, FIFA just freezes mid game ALOT!

When you're mid World Cup Semi against Brazil on World Class playing with 4 mates on one team and 2-0 up at half time this is possibly one of the most annoying features haha.

Plus you might get your personal information stolen... Again haha!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I know about 8-10 people who've switched from PS3 to 360 now and they never go back. A fair few of them are in here too. lol.

I was a huge PS fanboy like Harpham, but the truth is; they're a Blu Ray player.

F82 M4
Buy an Xbox, then u can play GOW 3, Forza 4 and halo

Let's put some figures into it from Metacritic for platform only titles -

Xbox 360

Gears of War 2 - 93/100
Forza 3 - 92/100
Halo 3 - 94/100

PS3

LBP - 95/100
God of War 3 - 92/100
Uncharted 2 - 96/100

Xbox 360 = 279
PS3 = 283

PS3 wins! :cool:

SQ5
If I was you I'd sell games and PS3 on eBay, maybe £150 - £200 if lucky and depending on how many games you have.

Buy and Xbox 360 and a new Sony Bluray (£120) best of both worlds then :)

Bumder With A Buffer
I never understand the fan boy wars.

I have both too and don't use the xbox online. It is a naughty one mind you but still. My ps3 gets the most use. Even before my xbox went to the dark side i didn't use it online apart from my free trial. Sack paying for "extra" for stuff.

Oh and out of the 3 xbox's I have had 2 have rrod ;)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Right I have a problem ( second technological problem this week ffs)

My ps3 has decided that it is going to crash every 20 mins of use which is annoying to say the least. It's The launch edition backwards compatible 60 gig console. I Hoover the vents out every couple of months to keep the dust out and I have had no problemsin the 4 1/2 years of ownership.

It's happened 5 or so times in the past two weeks, is it dying on me ?

It gets Alot of use being in the living room getting used for Lego games that me and the wife do, blue ray films and on demand TV.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it dying? Is it repairable ? Shall I go get a slim ps3 instead?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I think that might be the mainboard, the solder from processors is letting go.
People have fixed this by taking the PS 3 apart and heating the mainboard with a heatgun, effectively resoldering the chips.
To make this fix permanent you'll have to cut a hole in the bottom of the PS three below the centrifugal fan, improving cooling immensely.

http://blog.mic-b.com/?p=312

Right I have a problem ( second technological problem this week ffs)

My ps3 has decided that it is going to crash every 20 mins of use which is annoying to say the least. It's The launch edition backwards compatible 60 gig console. I Hoover the vents out every couple of months to keep the dust out and I have had no problemsin the 4 1/2 years of ownership.

It's happened 5 or so times in the past two weeks, is it dying on me ?

It gets Alot of use being in the living room getting used for Lego games that me and the wife do, blue ray films and on demand TV.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it dying? Is it repairable ? Shall I go get a slim ps3 instead?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
its never over heated, i dont have the ylod either. it started doing it about 2 weeks ago and i have no idea why.

how can you improve cooling with out drilling the unit?

Listerine & Poledo
My launch-model has now got a semi-duff HDMI out, doesn't matter though, extended Warranty FTW!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
google is your friend...maybe get a broken one with a working drive.
make sure you get the proper drive though.
Oh and don't change the whole drive , it is locked to the mainboard, change the mechanism.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
its never over heated, i dont have the ylod either. it started doing it about 2 weeks ago and i have no idea why.

how can you improve cooling with out drilling the unit?

It's your bluray laser mate, it's an easy fix if your confident with taking things to bits. It cost me around £40 for a new laser assembly.
Ignore the 360 comments, after all what's the point in downgrading?

Last edited:

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
You dont have to drill or cut any holes for improved cooling.

first release PS3's are known for running hot, mine started howling after about an hour of playing.
There is a design error in it, the fan is a centrifugal one, meaning it sucks air through the center, and slings it out the sides over the cooling fins.
Guesss what the center has to suck air in through a tiny slot at the front above which it also slings hot air out.
By cutting a hole in the bottom where the fan in you let the fan work properly...mine hasn't howled since.....

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's your bluray laser mate, it's an easy fix if your confident with taking things to bits. It cost me around £40 for a new laser assembly.
Ignore the 360 comments, after all what's the point in downgrading?

Thanks bud. I have a slim Xbox 360 aswell as the ps3, the ps3 gets the most use because it's in my living room, Xbox is upstars.

When did you buy the laser from?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine came from eBay I think mate. I know there are a few different drives for different models but there is a chart knocking around the interweb somewhere.

Bumder With A Buffer
A new "laser" are we talking about?? About £25 quid from ebay. I have changed a few for mates etc.

As mentioned you have to make sure you get the correct laser for your PS3. There is a list online but "certain" early PS3's you have to open up the drive to find what type of laser is already in use.

As an example You can either buy just a laser...(I think the 60gb is a kes400a for early models..they changed for ones after that)

Just laser..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...kw=kes400a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Laser and Mech..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=KEM-400AAA

Bumder With A Buffer
Meh its easy to change the laser then the whole mech, but then buying a full mech with laser is only a couple of quid more, horses for courses etc etc!

I just couldn't be arsed to undo the 4 screws and undo everything to change the mech out.