ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 dead - options and advice.

Mountune Tractor
Ok so PS3 isn't reading any disks, tried a few things but nothing has helped.
The timing isn't great but it certainly isn't the worst. What I want to know is, what would you do next?

1) Buy a new PS3 slim
2) Get old PS3 repaired
3) Buy an Xbox 360

I'm guessing number 2 will cost the same as 1 + 3.
With the upcoming release of BF and COD what console would you go for?
I do use my PS3 as a blueray player too. Any decent offers on consoles at the moment?

Oil Burner
I expect its the bluray lens thats gone. Its common. Replacement drives are £70ish and easy to fit.

Mine went but typically it had some dodgy bluray drive that nobody stocks anywhere, so i got a new one - its not that much at the end of the day.

Audi A3
Ignore all the "get an xbox" crew, and pay for the privilege of playing online. No chance. I've got a number for playstation I'll dig it out, I rang their helpline and they, well, helped!

Bus w**ker
360. I've not even plugged my PS3 back in since I bought the Xbox. It shows just how piss poor PSN is and how w**k the whole console is. No competition at all.

Get a 360. Im a PS fanboy, but I sold my PS3 last month, as it wasn't ever getting turned on. 360's online play gave it the winning vote. PSN is s**t tbqfh.

You can join us CSy0 and SWETy b******s!! Just be ready to be sat in a pool of your own sweat when playing some sticks and stones.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Mine died last month and I took it here http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk/playstation-3.html

Got charged 80 for a YLOD fix. I did drop mine off personally though so saved on postage. Personally I will be using the 360 for the new FPS games coming out as that's what my mates have. Both the PS3 and 360 have their benefits to me!

Mountune Tractor
I don't see much value in repairing it to be honest, the repair will cost about £75 incl postage and that's a good chunk towards a new unit. You can get about £40 for them faulty on ebay too.

Think I'll go for a slim version.

Listerine & Poledo
well, still rocking my launch edition PS3.
2 new drives and some thermal paste.
cost me £90 all in for all the repairs.
Think that's still cheaper than going for a PS3 Lite

Bumder With A Buffer
Likewise.

Mine has YLOD twice, mainly because I didn't do it properly the 1st time round.

Although repairing mine in my trade is not an issue really.

Mountune Tractor
I could repair your old one for £50. If you were local of course.

Unfortuantely not mate but thanks anyway. I don't see the point in repairing a 5 year old machine, something else could go wrong.

well, still rocking my launch edition PS3.
2 new drives and some thermal paste.
cost me £90 all in for all the repairs.
Think that's still cheaper than going for a PS3 Lite

Fine if you can fix it yourself but if you need someone else to do it.........

Mountune Tractor
I've thought about it but I'm gonna stick to what I know, will possibly swap when the next generation of consoles come out but for now it has to be a PS3.
1) I don't have another blue ray player
2) All my mates are on PSN
3) I already have all of the gear and games for the PS3

Listerine & Poledo
That's the way Boost.

Why take a backwards step. May as well get an Atari 2600, they dont have network issues either y0!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I have both, and tbh if you're happy with the PS3, stick with it. The only reason my 360 gets used is because more of my mates have them as opposed to PS3's.

Listerine & Poledo
People only got X-boxes because they were too tight to get their hands in their pockets for up-to-date kit.

AK

M240i
Lol! Yeah, that's why. Surely it's the PS3 punters that are tight cause most of their argument is about PAYING for Xbox Live.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Each to their own, I have had both and I have made my choice. My Xbox ended up being an over priced DVD player so I sold it. My PS3 get used daily, if not for gaming for its Bluray drive. All my mates have an Xbox but its not for me.

All my opinion of course!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Apart from the size of the HDD - is there any difference in the PS3 slim models?

No inbuilt card reader compared to the original PS3 but other than that pretty much the same. The Slim makes less noise. I have both a 360 and PS3 and the PS3 gets more use but mainly as a BD player.

Mountune Tractor
Couldn't resist so went out and got myself a 160GB slim yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the input guys.