ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Track Tart

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh I know there's issues with ventilation, but with the brake ducts and carbon lorraines I can't see there being a problem.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted some carpet in the rear last night, really pleased with it, looks loads tidier!! Special thanks to 1PBY for helping out late last night lol

Rough template made:

DSC01500.jpg

Fitted :)

DSC01504.jpg

Just needs a bit of wood to cover the wheel well, and some velcro or something to hold it down a bit better in a few places.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Almost a year since I've updated this! :eek: I'll update it with what I've been posting on another forum.

Here's the last pics I took of it:

3920904546_69a6c63050.jpg

3920905684_12fa8d41f0.jpg

3920128825_35ff32950a.jpg

Spec at the time (as far as I can remember!):

Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers
Cobra Imola S Seats with Willans Harnesses and OMP Subframes
RMD 320mm Wheel
Grp N Upper Engine Mount
Powerflex Lower Engine Mount
Brembo HC Disks, Goodrich Stainless Braided Hoses, Super Dot4 Fluid
OMP Inox Grp N Exhaust
DIY Matey Induction Kit
Odyssey Extreme 25 Race Battery
PerformanceLeads HT Leads
Alpine IDA-X001 Head unit and Hertz DSK speakers

Unfortunately progress was a bit slow due to work being a bit busy/lack of light on a night/no garage etc!

Fitted some new pads as the EBC Deathstuffs had become increasingly more dangerous! I went for some KTR Ultimax ones in the end as they had a few good reviews on CS and sounded like what I was after (something half decent for the road but not too dusty)

DSC_0953.jpg

Condition the EBC's came out in (and were sitting in my caliper in!):

DSC_0954.jpg

The new pads seem to be ok, good initial bite from cold but I'm not sure how they'd cope under hard braking.

I'd ordered one of the JMS Induction setups as I'd been considering a V6 airbox and my current induction kit I'd made sounded a bit tacky low down the revs. Apparently the race filter needs to be cleaned every 2k, so I got them to chuck in the standard jobby for when I've got the race one out for cleaning.

DSC_0955.jpg

I cut down a 70mm coupler to fit it, seems to fit quite well!

DSC_0956.jpg

Pretty pleased with how it looks, engine bay should look fairly tidy with a good clean! Race battery will be moved in the next few months.

Initial thoughts of the kit are good to be honest, seems to be more responsive low down in the revs and it pulls a bit better way through the rev range. Yet to give the car a proper good thrashing, but I'm pretty pleased with it tbh! Most of the difference is probably due to the crappy kit I had on there before.

Current stash of bits:

DSC_0950.jpg

I've also got a few other bits like some 15" Pro Race 1.2's and 888's that arn't in that pic.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Had a bit of spare time over a weekend so got the cup racer brake ducts fitted:

4357691676_a790f7145c.jpg

They're an absolute s**t fit, they're not the same size as each other, they don't point towards the arches, the finish isn't smooth, and I had to paint them before fitting. Bonded them in place, then used some black sealant to fill the gaps where they didn't fit right To say I'm pissed off about them is a massive understatement!! Don't look too bad up close now though, still nowhere near as well fitting as I'd of liked.

Gave the car a quick wash, think they look quite cool!

4357692714_029bbff766.jpg

The only thing I'm conscious about (and was expecting tbh) is that the silver turinis don't look right. Not sure whether to get some other wheels tbh! Should look spot on with my track wheels tho.

Should hopefully be able to start pulling out the interior soon, waiting for a few other bits to turn up before I can do any more at the moment!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bit more progress, got the back stripped out, and the carpet and sound deadening out of the front. Still got a bit left to get out from behind the dash I think.

New harnesses fitted:

DSC_0972.jpg

They're loads better than my old ones, a lot easier to adjust, lighter and better fitting. Really pleased with em!

I made a 'tab' for the boot as well. Will be doing something similar for the door cards I think:

DSC_0974.jpg

I've got a better idea that's a bit neater, but this'll do for now!

Slowly but surely.... lol

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bit more progress today!

First off was to sort out an intermittent fault I was having. The STOP and Oil lights on the dash were coming on and off every now and then. Oil level was ok, and the pump was working fine, so I bought a replacement sender (cheers to Jord for the part number!). Old one:

4414153931_a55ea1997e_b.jpg

The wire itself was a little frayed, but there's not a lot I can do other than replace the whole thing so I taped it up and it seems to be ok. New sender:

4414922018_0921f01df9_b.jpg

Seems to have sorted the problem! Also changed to oil and filter using Pro S. Had a bit of an issue with this as I couldn't see it on the dipstick at first! Seems to be ok now though.

Next up was the Grp N gearbox mount. No pics unfortunately but it went on easily enough Got pretty much all uprated mounts now which is good!

Managed to get around to fitting the AST top mounts next. There's been some right screw ups with these, and fitment was no exception to that! The old nuts were a s**t design and scraped against the mount (pulling all the anodising off). The new nuts are tapered but only had thread at the top! So basically they wouldn't screw on. I've wanted to fit these for ages, so what I did was file the edges off the nuts so that they wouldn't scrape. Havn't had a look at them since driving the car, but hopefully they're ok! They look pretty sweet anyway

4414922950_2e9774d25d_b.jpg

Set up for max neg camber there (they don't give an awful lot of adjustment though). Got some camber adjustment bolts for when I get the sus set up.

Stuck the 888's on and went for a drive...and the car feels brilliant!! The suspension feels a lot tighter now, and the steering is much more direct. Definitely turns in more eagerly too, although that's probably just the camber. The ride is better too, feels a bit less crashy if anything!

The grp n gearbox mount was worth every penny! Absolutely no knocking now and the gearbox feels much smoother! I can change from 1st to 2nd with little resistant now, which makes for much quicker changes. Very very pleased with it tbh!

Really happy with how the car drives now, took it for a good blast on the lanes and it's great to drive!

Was hoping to relocate my battery and do a few other bits but ran out of time (due to the top mount issues!). Gives me something to do in the week I guess!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Started today by ditching some of the airbag stuff. First to go was the passenger airbag:

4432393601_0fa9512ed3_b.jpg

4433170482_e071bd24e8_b.jpg

Airbag ECU was next to go!

4433169492_fdf68f3aa6_b.jpg

4433171456_2e15717c08_b.jpg

I also started sorting out what I could strip out of the loom:

4433172506_90e80cf20e_b.jpg

I'd hoped that all the pretensioner wiring etc all went to the airbag ecu, and then from the airbag ecu to the main ecu, but it looks as though all the pretensioner stuff goes to the main ecu as well! I got fed up of stripping off the shitty Renault plastic wrap, so the pretensioner wiring is still there for now. Can sort that out another day

The joys of modding ey

4432398607_04f457b6c2_b.jpg

Got the battery cage fitted, was going to go for 4 bolts but I think just one either side will do the job fine:

4433174620_8c1f5c8856_b.jpg

I've not cut the cable down fully yet as I'm not sure where to mount the battery cutoff switch yet, thinking I'll just make a little carbon panel for the centre console and put it on there.

By the end of the day I'd removed the gearstick surround/cupholders, handbrake surround, airbag ecu and bracket, passenger airbag ecu and also a bit more sound deadening. This is how I finished up today:

4433175626_dc1b1c65b2_b.jpg

I thought I had some heatshrink big enough for the ring terminals but it turned out I didn't lol hence the temporary bodge using tape! Going to get some heatshrink from work tomorrow to tidy that up. I've been messing around with the seat mounting hence why there's no passenger seat; I think I can mount them securely and pretty low without the crappy omp subframes or having to weld in rails.

Next jobs to do are headlining out, heatshrinking the battery terminals, fitting the cutoff switch and then a few other little bits I need to sort for the MOT which is coming up soon

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Booked a few days off this week to try and get some decent progress made before FCS!

Few weeks ago I had the mot to sort out, needed a few bits so got them fitted. Cheers to Fred for sorting me out with the discs!

DSC_1032.jpg

DSC_1034.jpg

Also planned on taking the headlining out which unfortunately meant I needed a t**t strip!

DSC_0030.jpg

Doesn't look too bad to be fair..

Next up was PPC at Mallory. I had a few sessions booked which went ok, track ettiquette was awful but the car felt pretty good apart from the brakes (I'd forgot to bleed them beforehand so they were dead within 2 laps lol). Few pics I found:

track1.jpg

track2.jpg

I also had an idea for the exhaust. A sleeve joint is used from the backbox to the mid section so I got a local exhaust place to chop a bit off the centre section. This means the exhaust sits in the mounts much better and also doesn't stick out as far!

DSC_0075.jpg

Also began to start taking all the bits of plastic for the wiring and some of the sound deadening:

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

How the rear is currently looking:

DSC_0077.jpg

And a few pics of the brake ducts and t**t strip now it's back on the turinis:

DSC_0112.jpg

I'd ordered some cup racer door handle spacers from R-sport, however not only are they pricey (55 quid del for the pair!) and have a s**t finish, they also don't fit!

DSC_0114.jpg

So I took the dremel to them and sorted that (excuse the blood blister lol):

DSC_0115.jpg

Next I whipped the dash out and dropped it off to Banbury (formally central blast) for flocking:

DSC_0120.jpg

Last of the tar gone:

DSC_0122.jpg

Started sorting out what I could ditch from the loom:

DSC_0123.jpg

Some new goodies arrived!

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Took em down to a mate's dealership to be fitted:

DSC_0129.jpg

Also started getting rid of unwanted brackets etc:

DSC_0130.jpg

Got a bit bored so will tidy them up some other time lol.

Just some of the bits I've ditched so far!

DSC_0132.jpg

I modded the steering column supports so it'll sit about an inch lower than it did before. Burp's idea, although in my defence it wasn't until I realised I could lower it that he'd done it on his first ph1 lol.

DSC_0133.jpg

Seems pretty stable and sits much lower now, happy days!

Unfortunately all the interesting photos I have are on my iPhone which is playing up, so I'll get some with the camera tomorrow

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Spent quite a bit of time today on the car, feels like I've made fook all progress though! Been doing all the shitty jobs like pulling out all of the plastic clips for the standard trim etc (which love to snap when you try to yank them out )

Pics of some carbon bits I've bought:

DSC_0140.jpg

I've got fronts, rears, fuel pump cover, tailgate cover and a few other bits

Ground off more brackets (those spot welds are a fuckin ball ache!!)

DSC_0147.jpg

Also managed to get the majority of the headlining glue off (which was also a b*****d of a job!

DSC_0148.jpg

Last of the brackets gone!

DSC_0139.jpg

I used some metal filler to tidy up the edges on some of the bits I'd cut off, will rub em down when I prep the interior for paint:

DSC_0138.jpg

Spent the rest of the day putting the rest of the cage in, lining it up and drilling some holes, needs to come back out now!

DSC_0136.jpg

Last photo of the day (love this!):

DSC_0142.jpg

Tomorrow I need to remove all the little studs etc and file them down, try and sort all the wiring out behind the dash (I'm relocating switches etc so need to extend the loom in places) and hopefully get it ready for paint!

Also got the wheels back, tempted to fit them now but will wait till the majority of it is done..

More progress tomorrow!

BMW M5 & E36
I want those harnesses, do you want to sell them to me? My 6 points are a pain in the chuff!

Car looks good :)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Got quite a bit done yesterday, hopefully nearing the end of all the shitty jobs!

Wheels and tyres ready to go:

DSC_0155.jpg

Brown bread sound deadening gone (weighs a fair bit!)

DSC_0156.jpg

Studs ground off and filled:

DSC_0164.jpg

Main loom tidied up, race battery out, most other stuff out!

DSC_0158.jpg

Cage also out:

DSC_0157.jpg

How the back is now (looks so much better without the brackets!):

DSC_0162.jpg

Had some issues with the compressor, ordered some fittings but they don't fit my spray gun, so I think I'm going to have to find another one otherwise I'm a bit fooked on the spraying front!

Started rubbing off grime in places with panel wipe (awesome stuff!), sloooowly getting there lol.

Things left to do today are extend the loom for the switches, drill and fit nutserts for p clips for the loom and then start prepping the shell!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Started prepping the interior today, finally!! Started out tidying a few bits in the engine bay as a break from the inside. Mounted the junction box properly and moved the ecu. Will be fitting some ducting to the airbox eventually. Doesn't look particularly pretty, but a lot better than it was:

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Wired in the battery cutoff switch:

DSC_0167.jpg

Elec window switch wiring done (and working!):

DSC_0168.jpg

I dremelled bits off the gearbox housing thing to make it look a bit less crap and smoothed down the bits I'd filled in:

DSC_0170.jpg

How it's looking now:

DSC_0171.jpg

So tomorrow I'll be doing all the interior prep, masking stuff off etc and hopefully get some base coat down by the end of the day!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't get chance to put any primer or owt on today, didn't want to rush it so will be doing that tomorrow!

Started masking up bits and bobs and removed all of the wiring from the front to the rear of the car:

DSC_0173.jpg

Had some help today too! Massive thanks to Ian_s for helping out!

DSC_0175.jpg

I don't have any sort of sanding tool, so I decided to get a load of 5.5" P400 sanding discs and use them with the G220. I glued some bits of velcro onto an old pad, and then stuck the discs to the velcro:

DSC_0176.jpg

Works a treat!

Picked up some starchem to use for masking interior bits and the exterior. It's mainly used for overspray, so for the interior i doubled it up in most places to be safe. Made a handy little dispenser for it:

DSC_0181.jpg

After several hours with the G220 and wet and dry:

DSC_0182.jpg

Driver's footwell prepped:

DSC_0183.jpg

Passenger footwell, rear quarters, roof and most other bits now sanded:

DSC_0186.jpg

How it's looking now:

DSC_0185.jpg

I used the masking tape to keep the doors shut as I'd left all my bungie leads in a mates unit :eek:

Tomorrow I'll be finishing prepping a few areas I couldn't get to with the G220, wiping all the panels down and masking up a few last bits. Then I'll be getting the primer and base coat down! I'm going for a wet on wet method, where the primer (mixed with about 20% thinner instead of 10 iirc) is dusted on and then while it's almost dried but still a bit wet the base coat is put on. Should reduce the amount of prep required but still give a decent finish. I'm not expecting it to be flawless anyway, so I'll see how it goes..

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good progress, seen it on POT.

What material did you use for the tab, need some handles for my CF door cards, and dont really wanna pay £32 for the ones on their site.

Cheers :) I bought some tie down strap things from halfords (8 quid for 2 I think) and just cut lengths of that off. Strong and looks quite tidy!

I want those harnesses, do you want to sell them to me? My 6 points are a pain in the chuff!

Car looks good :)

lol, daily driver so don't want 6 points! Tempted with 5's though as sometimes they ride up a bit if they're not done up mega tight!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Awesome attention to detail! Love this car!

(Although i'm a bit suspect on where your harnesses are mounted too!!)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
lovely track prep there, if only i could get away with it (when i eventually find the right cup!)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome attention to detail! Love this car!

(Although i'm a bit suspect on where your harnesses are mounted too!!)

:eek: was only temporary, they'll be mounted to the cage from now on!

I wouldn't advise mounting harnesses to any of those rear brackets, I pulled them out with my bare hands lol!

Cheers for the comments, I remember you liking the car when I posted them pics up before haha.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers :eek: Hoping to have the majority of it done and back on the road by Thursday lol

172 Race Car
Good work young man.

I was going to mention the harness until I saw the cage.....

Oh and it looks like you have one of the faulty batch of gearbox mounts, the top nut hasnt got any thread in the nyloc. Either that or you fitted it wrong

DSC_0165.jpg

340i
Since fitting my re-built gearbox I cannot get my upper gearbox mount any tighter than the above image, where as before I defiantly had "more" of the stud poking out.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers jay! I didn't use the standard bolts for the mount (it was previously loved and it only came with one!) so maybe that's why they look shorter? Will whip it out anyway and have a look.

Iceberg Ph1
Cheers jay! I didn't use the standard bolts for the mount (it was previously loved and it only came with one!) so maybe that's why they look shorter? Will whip it out anyway and have a look.

Since fitting my re-built gearbox I cannot get my upper gearbox mount any tighter than the above image, where as before I defiantly had "more" of the stud poking out.

Lovely car mate.. About the gearbox mount ktec did recall them iirc, something to do with the metal top hat wasn't machined correctly and the nut wouldn't tighten down pass the nyloc part. This was discusses a while back on another thread, sorry but can't remember what it was called mind

EDIT: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showpost.php?p=6592622&postcount=112

EDIT: (AGAIN).. Noticed you got the Grp N mount from somewhere else, although I'm sure there both products of Vibratechnics?

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
great progress, looking great now!

i'll be interested to see how the interior is finished off, need to do something similar with mine in the future.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This is awesome! Same sorta route I want to go when funds and time allow, the inside looks great mate!

A4, TDi
Really like this thread. Credit to you for possessing the balls to start pulling the loom apart!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the comments :)

Here's what I've got done this morning:

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

Just got the rear part of the floor around the wheel well and the wheel well to do now:

DSC_0192.jpg

Still on target for paint today! Also picking up my flocked dash from Banbury later, can't wait to see it! :D

TrackCar & F30 330d
Love the progress you've made.

Did you just use a big drill piece for the the spot welds or a special spot weld drill bit?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
So, finally got the interior ready by masked everything off and panel wiping everything. Then it was time to move into the 'spray booth' lol

DSC_0204.jpg

Not exactly ideal spraying conditions...

DSC_0206.jpg

Before primer:

DSC_0208.jpg

Primer on:

DSC_0211.jpg

Went on well tbh, finish seems smooth so I put on a light coating of base coat:

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

Will be rolling it out of the garage tonight if the weather is decent, it's a bit awkward to get into some areas in the garage!

Also picked up my dash, didn't have chance to get any pics but it looks sweet :) Will grab some pics tonight..