ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Track Tart

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd start a thread on my car's progress seeing as I havn't put any pics up yet.

I picked the car up from Norfolk about 6 weeks ago, here it is with my mate's CTR at the services:

DSC01155.jpg

First thing to do was to get rid of the standard aerial and replace it with a Mazda 6 one (cheers to Pecan for the tip!)

Before (it was so long it didn't even fit in the pic! :p):

DSC01174.jpg

After:

DSC01175.jpg

I'd noticed the oil was a little low and didn't know if it was decent stuff so I decided to do an oil and filter change. Old oil out:

CIMG1569.jpg

New filter and oil :) - Cheers to Opie Oils for the deal!:

CIMG1570.jpg

CIMG1571.jpg

Bit of a tip if you can't find a filter lying around:

CIMG1572.jpg

Then I gave the engine bay a quick clean up using some apc and a detailing brush:

CIMG1575.jpg

Time to get some silvervisions, these were dirt cheap and improved the look of the lights no end!

Before:

CIMG1561.jpg

CIMG1559.jpg

After:

CIMG1562.jpg

CIMG1560.jpg

After looking through the for sale section I decided to buy a Simota Carbon Aeroform, which I picked up fairly local to me from John (typefern). Old airbox out:

DSC01177.jpg

New IK in:

(No pic cuz my photobucket is having a mare!)

After hearing the Yozzasport Race system, I had to have one! Found one for sale on the forum, so bagged that up straight away:

DSC01160.jpg

Unfortunately because it's so loud I wouldn't be able to get onto donnington with it, so I decided to sell it :(

There was a local meet going on about a minute down the road from me, so I had to go lol. Was quite a good turnout and was good to meet some new people :)

n707126668_1178104_7528.jpg

After spending so long looking at lowered cups I decided it was time to buy some new suspension. I originally wanted Bilstein dampers with custom faulkner springs as a mate had this setup on his 106 and it felt spot on. I tried to find the dampers but nowhere sold them for the RS. After speaking to Jon at Kam Racing, I got some new coilovers ordered :approve:

I popped over to luke's (1PBY) to do the car mainly because of the gay weather and my garage wasn't really big enough. Here he is attempting to look like he knew what he was doing:

CIMG1584.jpg

Removing the bolts off the bottom of the strut:

CIMG1586.jpg

And then came a few problems, namely some proper tight top mounts which resulted in some broken tools lol:

CIMG1587.jpg

CIMG1588.jpg

It got a bit late so we had no choice but to leave the front and go onto the rear which was a doddle:

CIMG1589.jpg

Next morning I decided to go down to Quik Fit to get the top mounts undone which they did for free :) This was the day before Trax and as everyone knows the weather was a bit s**te to say the least!

CIMG1597.jpg

I managed to get half the car in the garage with enough room to give the front end a go. Old sus removed (you wouldn't know I cleaned the arches about 2 weeks ago!):

CIMG1592.jpg

Old vs new :approve::

CIMG1591.jpg

Fitted:

CIMG1594.jpg

The kit said it lowered 30 - 60mm, and I wanted 50mm so I figured if I wound them down about 3/4 of the way that should be about right:

DSC01220.jpg

Got it a bit wrong I think lol. After several failed attempts to raise it, I eventually got it about right:

CIMG1595.jpg

It was still chucking it down, so I decided to give the engine bay a quick clean. I'd sold the Simota due to having different plans for air intake (excuse the stains on the plenum):

CIMG1600.jpg

Then it was time to fit the new style RS badge I'd bought:

CIMG1601.jpg

CIMG1602.jpg

Almost there...

CIMG1603.jpg

CIMG1604.jpg

New rear plate fitted while I was at it as the old one was a bit knackered and I think the standard ones look much fresher:

CIMG1605.jpg

New badge on:

CIMG1606.jpg

Time to get the new foam lance out, which needed a bit of modding to fit my PW. This was done with a dremel and turned out quite well!

CIMG1607.jpg

CIMG1609.jpg

Foamed up :cool::

DSC01221.jpg

Gave the car a wash and a polish with SRP, then some last touch to finish it off. Couldn't be bothered to do much else because of the weather. Fitted my new plate from fancyplates.com, which turned up a little smaller than expected, but it's growing on me.

A few pics from Trax (cheers to DazRSi for these!):

popppoo701dj5.jpg

popppoo742xs5.jpg

popppoo743ot8.jpg

Unfortunately my splitter didn't arrive in time, but it did on Monday so that was fitted:

DSC01222.jpg

I wasn't happy with the height of the rear at all but it was at the lowest it could go already. A few quick changes sorted that out though ;):

CIMG1644.jpg

And a few final pics at the new rear height (much better I think!) and with the splitter fitted. Not the best quality and the car wasn't exactly clean, but it was the first time the car was looking how I wanted it to so I was happy!:

CIMG1630-1.jpg

CIMG1640.jpg

CIMG1646.jpg

CIMG1628.jpg

That's it for now!

Next updates:

New exhaust - Bought
Braided Hoses - Bought
Carbon Lorraine Pads - Bought
A thorough detail!
And loads more ;)

Thanks for looking, any comments (good or bad lol) welcome :)

200 cup/Btm'd ph1
looks cracking mate, looks like you enjoy keeping it clean what made you buy the Carbon Lorraine pads they give off soooo much brake dust, you'll be swapping them soon for soom ds2500

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
looks cracking mate, looks like you enjoy keeping it clean what made you buy the Carbon Lorraine pads they give off soooo much brake dust, you'll be swapping them soon for soom ds2500

Cheers buddy :) I'll stick a few layers of sealent on the wheels which should help a little, and then a blast with the PW and foam lance every few days should help lol. Looking forward to fitting them as the greenstuffs I have on at the moment are crap!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
just need some 2118's in white to finish it off!

I've considered it, but I like the turinis lol. I may get some for track wheels though. I'm tempted to just get the turinis refurbed in a brighter silver as they look a bit dull atm.

Cheers for the comments guys!

Should be some more progress tomorrow!

182 Trophy (#27/500)
looks good noony gomez!!!! special thanx to me u mean!!!!looks good. more piks tomorrow after decent photo shoot!!!

172 Cup
Coming along really nicely looks good!

How loud exactly is the race system you had because I was planning on getting something like that in future?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of an update, nothing much though. Didn't really get as much done as I'd like unfortunately as the weekend seemed to go really quickly!

Popped over to Luke's for a bit of a cleaning sesh:

CIMG1654.jpg

CIMG1655.jpg

Some more foam action with a mix of Megs Shampoo Plus and APC :D:

CIMG1662.jpg

CIMG1664.jpg

Washed:

CIMG1668.jpg

CIMG1670.jpg

I'd already waxed the car the week before so I just used some last touch to help dry the car.

Arches given a quick clean with some Megs Super Degreaser:

CIMG1677.jpg

Calipers before:

CIMG1678.jpg

After :):

CIMG1684.jpg

Excuse the paint on the pads, they're being changed shortly anyway.

Wheels cleaned with I4D Bright Wheels, Super Degreaser and Vikan Wheel Brush (no painting here Paul :p):

CIMG1685.jpg

Then 3 layers of Poorboys Wheel Sealent applied for super protection!

CIMG1690.jpg

Rear arches and calipers done:

CIMG1708.jpg

Decided to drop the front a bit more. Looking better now!

CIMG1709.jpg

CIMG1710.jpg

CIMG1712.jpg

Final Pic (Shame about my crap cam :( ):

CIMG1714.jpg

And that's it unfortunately lol. Not a lot achieved in a day or so's work! I promise there will be better updates asap.

Cheers for looking :)

Last edited:

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
you would've been fine round donnington with that exhaust

Last post I saw you said you'd have no chance getting on donnington with it :eek:

Have already ordered the new one, should be a bit of a character anyway lol

Cheers for all the comments!!

r8byb: Yeh noticed you were from Tamworth, will have to meet up for some pics!

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
just need some 2118's in white to finish it off!

I've considered it, but I like the turinis lol. I may get some for track wheels though. I'm tempted to just get the turinis refurbed in a brighter silver as they look a bit dull atm.

Cheers for the comments guys!

Should be some more progress tomorrow!

Just had mine re-furbed for the third time (a long story) in a much brighter silver, worth a look mate and a very good price.

John

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of an update :)

Detail can be seen here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=367779

I wanted buckets even before I bought the car as the standard cup seats are gash! Plus they're far too high.

First job was to sort the garage as it was a bit of a tip lol:

CIMG1946.jpg

The weather looked alright, so I decided to crack on outside.

I got the first seat out which was pretty easy tbh, just 4 bolts from the subframes which were screwed in from underneath the car. I trial fitted the subframes just to make sure they were the right ones!

CIMG1948.jpg

CIMG1952.jpg

Then out came the dirt devil for a quick clean (which comes with a light for that extra analness)!

CIMG1953.jpg

I decided the dirt devil was w**k so out came the green machine!

CIMG1958.jpg

Sidemounts and subframes fitted:

CIMG1954.jpg

Half the rear bench out:

CIMG1955.jpg

Seatbelts removed and eyebolts fitted:

CIMG1956.jpg

APC'd:

CIMG1959.jpg

CIMG1960.jpg

CIMG1961.jpg

Done :)

Carpet cleaned with AG Interior Shampoo (smells awesome!)

CIMG1962.jpg

Pretensioners removed off the standard seats and fitted under the buckets for the time being, just to stop the seatbelt alarm going off:

CIMG1963.jpg

Then I used some Lime Prime on the backs and sides of the seats. Did improve the finish tbh. Before:

CIMG1969.jpg

Applied:

CIMG1970.jpg

After (no flash ftl lol):

CIMG1971.jpg

Bar thing whipped out, this is only really for a child seat. Bolts were a right c**t so had to get out the jack handle!

CIMG1973.jpg

CIMG1974.jpg

CIMG1975.jpg

Almost there:

CIMG1976.jpg

Gave it all another clean out (maybe I should stop posting the cleaning bits lol). Shoddy renault spraying too :(:

CIMG1977-1.jpg

Boot net fitted and then everything else tidied up. All done!

CIMG2026.jpg

Pretty pleased with the seats, they're comfy and supportive and suit the interior too! Harnesses are 3" 3 points, didn't want to drill the floor for the 4th point but I'll probably upgrade to them when I get a cage fitted some time next year.

Fitted my new exhaust since then, it's an OMP Inox and sounds quite cool! It's pretty loud though so I'm not sure if it'll meet track regs, so I may get a small silencer put in the centre section (atm it's just a pipe straight to the backbox!). Bit of a crap pic, but oh well. Think it suits the clio quite well!

DSC01313.jpg

Next updates:

Brake ducts - Done
Braided Hoses
Carbon Lorraine Pads
Camber Bolts to fit and full suspension setup
Probably carpet the rear for the time being
Fit powerflex bushes

And loads more ;)

Thanks for looking, I realise not a lot has actually been done apart from cleaning lol, but there will be bigger progress (when the weather gets better lol). Any comments (good or bad lol) welcome :)

BG 182
looks good mate. better than when i last saw it. (which was ages ago)

The old exhaust you use to have is mental i brought it off tobs because his ears started to bleed. lol

keep up the good work

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh yeh I remember, that was when I first got it, looked pretty crap then tbh lol!

Lionel Richie
are the rear springs and adjusters the right way up? or am i being dumb? i swear on the billies i did (albeit ages ago now) the adjuster was at the bottom