ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I may have spoken too soon

IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

My ex friend @Djw Dave is over currently ruining my car.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Totally fixable, bodge it up with some sheet steel, slap the skirts back on, done

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not being able to weld could cost me money here. Are rivets just too pikey even for track?!

But yeah, agree, it will be saved just annoying really.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I paid 200 for around 1.5ft of rear sill like that on my mk1 recently, only one side, but inner and outer welded up solid

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Not too bad :up: never managed to get good at welding myself, have tried a few times. Does anyone know if you can you buy complete sills or part sills? Is their a company who make them?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
My ph2 is the same as this as @Coops Turbo can attest to, I had the same 'just needs kurust' and when I got the grinder out holes started to appear!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got a plan forming with another mate who's good at welding, we'll get it as ready as we can for him and he can stitch it together.

The inner sills don't look hugely pretty but they are solid so that's good news.

IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

I think we'll do something with the jacking points too, straighten them out and bolt some box section on. May as well whilst we're there.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I bet a lot more mk2s are rusty than anyone realises @Akay whilst I'm not much of a detailer whenever I've washed it I've been very careful to blast all the s**t off the arches etc but this is from the inside out.
My guess is it's condensation running down the inside of the rear quarter and then sitting on the sill rotting it. Not much you can do to prevent that really.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Get yourself a bottle of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 for the crusty looking bits of the inner sills. It's like Kurust, only 100 times better and will give you a good chance of it lasting longer term

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I think its the fact that the sills are rivetted on, combined with the bendy jacking points preventing adequate drainage means water is held for a long time.

I need mine repairing really, they have been plated but the rot is still coming through.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I took half a bucket of water out of my sills the other year. Not sure how long that was sitting in there, not my problem any more as I don't own the car!
Tbh that doesn't look too bad, I've seen worse. And no, rivets are not too pikey. Adds to that "race car look". Just keep the car living!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
once the odyssey is retired from active duty when I get the RB 182 back next job is to strip the skirts off that and check the outer sills
it was looking good from the inside and has had a wire wheel and krust/underseal treatment so i'm hoping and praying it'll be okay......

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Did a wee bit more today after being busy with the family Mazda and Honda. Was almost nice getting back to French s**t and not jap crap.

Just chucked the pms brace and mounts on along with new bumpstops/dust covers.

IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

Can see the inlet and fuel rail guard getting painted over the winter. Beginning to annoy me how s**t they look!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well last weekend the Clio finally stopped having such large holes in it. Massive thanks to Henny for doing the hard work and Dave for the use of his work (again!) just a few pics from throughout the day.

IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0508.PNG
IMG_0462.JPG

And the semi finished articles. All kept below the sideskirts so won't be able to see that anythings been done. Needs some paint and then skirts out back on. Bare in mind it's a track car, I had to tell Henny about a hundred times I wanted it strong, not pretty. But I'm delighted with both its strength and how it looks too.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers.

Looking forward to getting the sideskirts back on and some 2.0 badges.
Not overly bothered about the centre caps, would be nice to have them but better things to waste cash on!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sat here waiting on the family to get ready so may as well put a wee update on.
Hopefully will get the cage fitted in the next month cos after that my playtime will be seriously reduced with a new born appearing.

Been a fairly quiet month with the car until this week when I thought fuckit and used it to commute in. Which was fine bar the day I was hungover and then it was just annoying!
Really need to sort this battery light out though, gonna chuck a spare battery on just to make sure it is the alternator that's at fault but it doesn't take much of a charge at idle and they battery breathes heavily on track days so something isn't right.

Anyway, no update is complete without a pic so here's the only ones I've taken of it!

15D6E34B-D67F-402E-997E-7D8C5905D2FD.jpeg
46886EFA-CAAB-4ABB-9E27-1886078BD344.jpeg
9B5D15AB-DB73-4E75-A262-59603F935E5E.jpeg
84CAF56A-91F7-4228-A57F-746F8AFA24D0.jpeg

Didn't even take a clean pic dammit!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This post is really just for my own records since I'm not really bothering with service history, the next owner will turn it into cans so it makes no odds.

Changed the oil and filter 2 days ago at

137C05FB-E65A-43AD-9515-1DD57A0FF86D.jpeg

Which means I've only done 1800 miles since putting it back on the road in April. 1790 of them have been hard ones though!

Also drilled out more bracketry from the back pre cage fitting which should hopefully be happening soon.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
will look even cooler with the sd rear cage in. least you are doing in properly and not one of those ebay jobs. hopefully see it in action up at knockhill once the weather improves.