ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: Cruise Control....

Right then, ive got a few long trips coming up and thought I could really use cruise for it. Ive also been thinking about the 2nd hand value of the car compared to other 53 plate 172s.

So, to that end. I want to see how feasable it would be to add cruise control. From what I gather the controls are on the wheel with another button near the ESP control. What Ive found so far is that there is the connector for the button is present behind the blanking panel. Bonus!

This is where I need some help...

Could someone tell me how the buttons on the steering wheel are attached?
Will it be a new wheel or do the buttons bolt on?
Secondly, how are the buttons connected to the loom? Some slip ring affair?
For all this Ive made the following assumptions:

All Cruise functions are handled by the ECU, theres no other box of tricks doing it.
Cruise was offered as an option on 172 prior to this summer, so the chances of having an ECU that doesnt have the code for cruise control is fairly slim. Does anyone know how much cruise was as an option?
When I run the instrumentation diagnostics the cruise control light illuminates. So theres obviously the wiring installed (hence the connector mentioned earlier.
As ive found in other cars, most manufacturers use a single loom in their cars irrespective of trim level. All they do is plug in the relevant bits to spec up the car.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Elise/VX220/R26

Hassle more worth than its

jumble those letters up you have the answer m8! Big Job for not a lot of gain. Cruise on a small car like a 172 will make no difference to residuals.

One of the guys from work brought a cruise control kit for his golf, maybe the there is somewhere out there that sells one that will work with the Clio.

Ive got a 53 plate 172, dont really use the cruise control, was a novelty at first, but with everyone else without it and changing their speeds constantly its not all that good cos you have to keep turning it off or adjusting the speed.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

the cruise control controls are part of the steerin wheel. if you look at yours ther are two indentation bout 4 an 7 oclock. to be honest ive only ever used it to find out how it worked. traffic is too stop an start in this country!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you would need a dashboard wiring loom,steering wheel,dash control panel,cruise control computer,poss injection computer if it cant be reconfigured and reconfigure the uch(control unit in the car.it would cost a fortune to do it,dont bother

clio sport 172

I have a 53 plate 172 and dont have cruise control :( wasnt given the option either :(

*sniff* *sniff*

Thanks for the input guys, Im going to try and get hold of the speed limiter panel (depending upon how much it costs) and try pressing the buttons. If the display works then I could be onto a winner. Looks like a trip to renault manchester tomorrow to start pricing up. I admit it seems like a load of hassle for very little in return. But Im really bored at the moment.....

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Fair doos mate! Keep us informed on how it goes! I thort all 53 plate 172s had cruise anyway but thats anuva thread!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

..I use cruise all the time, but I travel across the fens so I get plenty of opportunity to use it!

Adrian

Mine was definately before the August break. I went to Reno today, I dont think the parts guy quite understood what I was trying to achieve but anyway. The limiter switch is £20 quid, so I think Ill order one. I also got a chance to look at the steering wheel assembly. It looks like theres only one type of wheel. You then have the button assembly and two different covers, one for wheels with buttons and one without.

How do you remove the cover on the steering wheel, can you just pull it off?

The way you are going about it sounds good, however if for any reason you want another way there is a company that can add cruise control for any car aftermarket. Am away on business put if anyone wants the details pm me and I will look them up when I get home, was about 400 quid if I rememebr right.

Reno are complete no-hopers. They cant find the switch on their system to order it. Could someone with cruise please get the part number for the switch and PM me with it please? It should take about 30 seconds to get it.

Wow!

This has to be the most lame ass project ive seen!

Quit being American and drive! Youre supposed to concentrate when driving...

-Rob

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

so true, I just try and keep it between 70 and 90.. thats the best you can do, my mate didnt believe that I have virtually not touching the pedal when cruising at 70mph, till he had a shot ;)

exactly my dad failed to see how i got pulled doing what i was when i just said i only put my foot down for a few seconds lol

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 24 November 2003

Wow!

This has to be the most lame ass project ive seen!

Quit being American and drive! Youre supposed to concentrate when driving...

-Rob

Whats your fscking problem? I dont start whinging when someone posts a picture of the neons or sh*t spoiler theyve bodged onto some crap sh*tbox 1.2. Why dont I put on a Peco big bore exhaust eh? Would that be a better project? Pardon me if I prefer to work on something that requires a bit more intellect. If youve got nothing positive to say, f*ck off!