ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Fair comment, in what way? Colour or style?

If the former, they'll be getting properly refurbed eventually.

I think its the style or it could just be the pics, the colour looks a bit flat and dull... Il reserve full judgement till they have been done properly...

Arctic 182FF
Absolutely love this car and think the wheels suit it perfectly.

What wheels are they? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find what they are.

The E21 is booked into Topgear Stockport for a stainless exhaust system to be made. Original manifolds for now though. I'll also be keeping the OEM backbox which is pretty much brand new.

Goes in on 16th August and should be back Tuesday 19th, can't wait for it to be a bit more civilised, instead of blowing from every joint of my cobbled together effort!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool stuff. Decent exhaust can really transform the experience of driving a car.

Glad you've seen this through such a cool project. Another 12 valves would really sort it though.

Cool stuff. Decent exhaust can really transform the experience of driving a car.

Glad you've seen this through such a cool project. Another 12 valves would really sort it though.

Yeah the M52 is an awesome lump, especially with some simple mods. Maybe one day. If this one were to die for any reason, then that's the way I would go.

It's been a good while since I have updated this, so here is what has gone on in the last month or so.

The chrome on the rear bumper was a mess and I wanted to tidy it up a little. A friend told me about a trick that utilizes Diet Coke (Diet to prevent stickiness from the sugar) and alluminium foil.

Essentially you pour the Coke on and gently rub down the chrome with some scrunched up foil. The results are fantastic.

Before:

14932884440_3139a58000_c.jpg

After:

14932891070_71008a9b6b_c.jpg

Of course the rust will come back, but I've sealed it with some FK1000p wax for now, so it should keep it looking fresh for a little while.

I also took the car to Blink motorsport for a full alignment. Very happy with them, they've transformed the car from a very nervous feeling thing, to something that feels very capable and really quite sharp.

14932978427_463b472d6f_c.jpg

14932962637_be53f13066_c.jpg

The rear settings can't be changed as I don't have a slotted rear end yet, so that camber is a result of the lowering and nothing else.

Couldn't recommend them enough.

I then took it down to Worcester for the Retro Rides Gathering 2014.

It was fantastic on the way down, sits very well at 70mph, and pulls really nicely. Then once off the M5, the country roads across to our hotel were sublime, turn in feels good, even on the crap tyres, and it has great traction. It's also really rather nippy, even with a modest 170bhp (ish), the lack of weight and driving assists certainly makes driving it a real event.

Unfortunately the following morning saw me written out of the show:

15119533225_97a1b2a479_c.jpg

After brimming the tank, I noticed a pretty serious fuel leak. The culprit was the fuel sender unit, which should have a seal on it but doesn't. A simple fix and a new one is on order, but the damage was done, fuel all around the exhaust and fumes in the cabin made it far too much of a risk to drive, so I called my breakdown cover and they loaded it up and took it back to Manchester for me. Fortunately I was still able to go to the show, as the driver agreed to take the vehicle home for me without me going with him.

So it now sits outside venting off the last of the fumes, I'm hoping to have it all sorted and back on the road by the weekend.

Don't worry, I'll not be letting it go for nothing.

I don't know, I've grown very very tired of the work required on this. If it doesn't sell in the next 6 weeks, it'll be getting sent to my dads where it will spend the winter in dry storage, then next year I might come back to it and have a new found love.

I've always said it's just tin and rubber, and nothing more than that. It has been a great process getting it to this point, I'm just in a place now where I won't mind if it sells for the price I've put it up for.

So today I made a start on the headlining, the material is charcoal grey, brushed nylon & foam backed. It's lovely to work with.

The pictures are awful as the colour isn't easy to capture in sunglight conditions, but you get the idea. It's not 100% perfect, but it's pretty good for my first attempt IMO.

I tired to keep the use of glue to a minimum, which I believe is the standard practice for the OEM headliner, so it's tucked into the door and window seals as per OEM.

15003761140_d969f2804a_c.jpg

The material is also used on the A-pillars:

15187407781_1d47192571_c.jpg

Got a little video of the exhaust sound on the E21, it's not really the highest quality sound, but it's good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out the other night for a drive, and noticed a couple of small issues:

The drivers rear coilover was "twanging" because the spring wasn't seated properly due to the height being adjusted with the preload of the spring. So I raised the rear of the car slightly, but it has removed the annoying spring twang which is more important to me.

At high revs, there was a rattling coming from the exhuast system, which after a closer inspection has turned out to be the exhaust centre section coming into contact with the propshaft. So I'll run it back up to Topgear and have a chat with them, see what they can do.

The handbrake is sticking on every now and again, I've not looked at this yet, but I plan to this weekend. Probably just something sticking a little bit.

In better news, I took it out to north Wales on Sunday, 120 miles, a lot of which was spent on country roads. The car was sublime, not a single issue and it kept up with the best of them. Nial and Adrian got some fantastic photos of the car over near a quarry, very impressed with them.

I've agreed a date with my dad to put the car into storage at his house over the winter months.

The car was detailed on Saturday before the meet on the Sunday. Prima Amigo applied via DA and finished with two layers of Zaino Z8:

15321009191_b40ab23c5a_c.jpg

From up at the quarry:

15321009331_2b320006be_c.jpg

Mini GP2
Stunning car and its fantastic to see the amount of work involved that has gone into this project. Shame to see you are selling the car but i hope you manage to get the right price for it.

It has been a long time since I've posted in here, but I thought I should update the thread.

I still have the car, it has been in storage at my dads for the last few months but it has now returned.

It now has a quick rack, which from the very brief drive I've had since fitting it, feels fantastic.

I have also fitted a Momo Prototipo, which also feels and looks great.

16288365363_cb719aab81_c.jpg

The car is looking well, before bringing it home from my dads:

16907375981_5e04299976_c.jpg

However it has failed its MOT on the following:

Rear brakes, essentially they're binding and the handbrake isn't up to scratch, which I found out tonight is due to a snapped cable, so I'll fit a new one this week. The shoes are all a bit gunked up, so I'll buy a new fitting kit, take it all apart and clean it and refit everything which will hopefully solve that.

16882484886_c1d95657e2_c.jpg

Headlights supposedly have some rust on the reflectors which has failed them, I had every intention of sorting them tonight, but it seems the glass lens doesn't "pop" off them like I thought it would? Anyone have any ideas?

16701192667_644de6a106_c.jpg

16720845308_9e81a6ed60_c.jpg

16286135534_0effefbe28_c.jpg

Finally it failed on too higher engine idle. It's idling at 1,200rpm, so certainly a little too high. However I can't bring it down at all, I can't find a vac leak, it doesn't appear to be the "blue plug" (which measures coolant temperature and adjusts the fueling to suit" so I'm at a bit of a loss with that one.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll get sorted soon enough, it's good to have it back on the drive :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
With regards to the headlights, my mates dad just bought some updated units for his 1970's scimitar.
Not expensive and are a 100 times better than the old dates ones.

Good to see it back though, it's a credit to you.

Car is up and running and I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now.

I've also been busy working away on it.

Coolant temperature gauge from Stack:

16727239303_95fcbc42f3_c.jpg

The car is slightly overcooling so I want to be able to monitor coolant temps (I've had a BMW with cooling issues before, and it's not much fun)

I also mounted an iPhone 5/5S dock to the centre console, so I can mount the phone and play music from it. All wired in and fixed in position:

17321508196_775f4e74a8_c.jpg

I also bought some Recaros. They're from an Opel Manta GTE and they need plenty of cleaning up before they can go in, but they were super cheap and they're nice to sit in. My interior will be getting wrapped up and put somewhere for safe storage, as it is spotless and I'd like to hang onto it.

17161257469_800bc268e1_c.jpg

17159682238_228dcff747_c.jpg

I'll make some subframes for them soon and hopefully have them test fitted soon.

Only just seen this thread for the first time. Love what you've done with the car and even more the fact you've kept it intact so that it can be returned to standard again!

Another update:

New seats are coming along nicely, my design for the subframes is a little bit awesome, but I'll wait until they're in properly before I touch on that too much.

Got a few bits on order but nothing of any major merit, other than the holes in the front wing/valance join will soon be covered by a custom trim, more on that when it's done.

Tomorrow (12/07/15) is Didsbury Classic Car Show, so today was spent detailing the car in preparation for the show. A few photos of the car this afternoon after the detail.

19607445855_78f548b044_c.jpg

19420837769_02b0573d17_c.jpg

19420829499_d5ef359d72_c.jpg

19419429060_dc05589415_c.jpg

19420807139_a3f1215ec9_c.jpg

19600434632_5e1abe1ac5_c.jpg

I'll be at a few shows this year, main one being Retro Rides Gathering, which I can't wait for.

So the time had come for a new throttle cable, the old one was a bit of a bodge and I really don't know how it lasted as long as it did.

Anyway, got all the parts I needed from Venhill:

View attachment 23876637804_959ed4a15a_c.jpg

Needed to make 2 new brackets in total, as I wanted a good amount of tension adjustment in the cable, first bracket being cut out, bent up and a thread putting in:

View attachment 24504813075_2685d2735e_c.jpg

View attachment 24209241410_b90fbdb3d7_c.jpg

Next up I needed to modify the throttle arm, as it was fouling on the sound deadening I have fitted, so the pedal was struggling to return correctly. I didn't really want to cut up the sound deadening, so I made some basic changes to the arm itself:

View attachment 24422415791_1fcd80ffee_c.jpg

This "kink" allows the arm to move freely. I've also included a hole for the clevis pin to attach to the arm.

All fitted up:

View attachment 23876586414_d150bee87c_c.jpg

Third bracket made, which picks up on two points on the inlet manifold:

View attachment 24396473252_112b4f4274_c.jpg

And finally some photos of the brackets painted, fitted and the cable all finished:

View attachment 24422373361_4ab6d76bbb_c.jpg

View attachment 23876541034_e603e02b9d_c.jpg

View attachment 24396430072_1b85161bfc_c.jpg