ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #69; Clio 182FF

RenaultSport 182FF
So last week I finally got time to pop round to the body shop to get a quotation on re-spraying my front bumper and bonnet.
The front bumper and bonnet I know have previously been re-sprayed at some point while the car was in the ownership by one of the previous keepers. Who ever they took it to god what a rubbish job they did!
Clearly these guys didn't understand the word 'preparation'.

Ok, so i realise at 83,000 miles the car is going to have it's fair share of stone chips, fair enough however when I swapped over to my fancy plate on the front I saw where previous double sided sticky tape was holding the plate on!
Whoever sprayed the front bumper just sprayed over the sticky tape :mad: absolute f**king tossers!!

Again on the bonnet they hadn't prepared this either, the paint has actually cracked in certain places and has been exposed to the bare metal base, in other area's the paint has just rippled!!

DSCF5677_zpsf5051c63.jpg

DSCF5675_zps42a96a88.jpg

DSCF5674_zps7c2bcd10.jpg

DSCF5672_zps10e0702e.jpg

DSCF5671_zps4bde8a61.jpg

I was wondering where to go to have it sprayed as a lot of people say that spray shack is very good, however I was quite happy going to Multi-Tech as I know the chap though my uncle..... DISCOUNT :rasp:!!!
I was quite happy to go there not only because of the fantastic work they did on my 1.2 replica, but because of the awards they have achieved!

Believe it or not they actually do the body/paintwork for the cars that appear on the TV show 'Wheeler dealers' :)

If I wanted a proper job doing on the bonnet the wings would have to be done as well, otherwise the colour wouldn't match ......£325 was the quotation :O Gulp!!!!
And the quotation for the front bumper was £165

Total: £490
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As you can imagine I wasn't really wanting to pay this much, especially when the wings still have their factory paint :(

Originally I went about trying to obtain a bonnet from the 'Wanted' section on the forum, I specifically asked for a 2005 '05' Plate 182 bonnet in Artic Blue!
The reasoning behind that (if it wasn't clear) was that it would be very likely an '05' bonnet in the same colour would have been the same batch of paint that was used on my 182 in production line, simple!

Plenty of responses, however the bonnets individuals were selling were either off cars from a different production year (i.e 2004) or had been resprayed at some point :(

However I did re-post again last week and a chap on the forum contacted me saying he had one which he believed still had its factory paint :D, minus the few stone chips (expected) it was in perfect condition....... £70 sorted!

Arranged to pick it up from Aylesbury and collected it this Saturday!
The chap I collected it from, a real genuine individual and a really nice bloke, he was really helpful :) Worthwhile trip definitely, not only did I get a mint bonnet I got to look at a proper track spec'd 182, woahh what a car !!!

Got the bumper home, did my usual detailing procedure ;) and set about getting it bolted on.

DSCF56611_zpscb017e93.jpg

During:
DSCF5664_zpsc9b0fc7b.jpg

DSCF5662_zps8cef00c8.jpg

I was a tad worried at first as I didn't know if the paint was going to match up, however once it was on the car you could see it was a perfect resemblance to the rest of the paintwork :approve:

After:
DSCF5665_zps5941decc.jpg

DSCF5667_zpsa8d96700.jpg

Really pleased with the outcome!
Not getting it re-sprayed and doing some searching around really paid off and ended up saving me £255 :D

RenaultSport 182FF
i love your updates!! keep up the cracking work. threads like these pretty much sell the cars themselves when the time comes.

Thanks mate :) I do try, personally the blog isn't as good as I would like it to be, however nobody so far seems fussed by the spelling mistakes and what not :rasp:
I end up typing and pasting so much I make more mistakes when I proofread it :S

You would imagine so wouldn't you, however I intend to hold onto this one for a long time to come :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Andrew,

you have made a fantastic progress thread here, the attention to details is excellent. I think this is the best thread i have read in a long time, nice to see another owner who clearly appreciates the car and looks after it the way it should be.

Austin

RenaultSport 182FF
Thanks Austin :) Really appreciate comments like this, gives me more motivation to keep going :) (Although I have no intention of stopping ;))

Indeed, I just wish it would return the favour :rasp:

BG FF 182
Great write up so far & brilliant attention to detail, was the coolant expansion tank from Renault & how much was it? Really tidys up the bay, wouldn't mind getting myself a new one!

RenaultSport 182FF
Hi Braderz,

Thanks :) umm the expansion tank was actually off of eBay, now the listing doesn't state whether it is genuine or not therefore I got the seller to verify if it was!

He did get back to me and informed me the tank is genuine1 however the cap isn't. I just used my previous cap so I doubt this would be a problem to anyone really :)

[URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-EXPANSION-TANK-COOLANT-TANK-/160942185464?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2578e6dbf8"]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-EXPANSION-TANK-COOLANT-TANK-/160942185464?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2578e6dbf8
[/URL]

Clio 172 Monaco
Let's hope we can get it running well next weekend! :-D really nice car!! This car shines so well! If I could get my car up your drive I would let you detail mine but I can't ;-( great work though!! Can't wait to update my thread hehe :) big things comeing soon!! :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Thanks Caz :) Yeah lets hope :p

Ahah take that bloody splitter off and get it up my drive that way :)
Looking forward to seeing your updates, Don't post it in midlands mind ;)

RenaultSport 182FF
Ok so as above I have ran into some minor problem's with the 182 :(

I was starting to experience jolty ride's which got worse in time with no reasonable explanation, only after the engine had warmed up did i start to experience these misfiring symptoms.
(Although it was nice of Renault to fit a light to let me know when it isn't running correctly, flashing on and off constantly, driving me a little more nuts every time :D)

Taking into consideration of what was happening I imagined it would be something to do with the Lambda/02 sensor seen as I was averaging 13MPG
:eek:

I needed a second opinion from someone who actually does this day in day out so I got in contact with Mr. Bean (Peter) who is a member on here :approve:

Luckily Peter had a Diagnostics tool to hand so got that plugged in straight away!
This actually showed that the engine was misfiring due to a problem with 3rd cylinder.

Peter suggested it could be the coil pack or the ht leads as they are both common parts to fail on clio's, with the 3rd cylinder having problems this was likely to be one of the possibilities!
Luckily with having two 182's on the drive it was easy to test possible faulty parts on the car by interchanging them.

The stripping of the inlet began:

DSCF5687_zpscaae27df.jpg

My god was it messy and dusty underneath!!

Noticeably the forth cylinder hole has a little oil around it, I would imagine this is from when the oil has been topped up!

Once the HT leads were out we could see the problem..... water :dapprove:
My improvisation skills came into their own here, I went to fetch the heat gun ;) ...... 300 degreas I managed to dry the water up in no time :rasp:

I decided to clean the small amount of gunk that was on the inlet and peter cleaned my throttle body while he was waiting :eek:

DSCF5685_zpsd9ab343f.jpg

Took it for a spin and all was well, Brilliant!!
I could also really notice the difference in the throttle response, top job from the Bean ;)

Afterwards I realised I needed fuel quite desperately so off I went to the Shell garage (around 11 miles away) and got her filled up.
On departure from the garage the car started to play up again :boring: So it looks like the water is bellow the spark plugs, Yawn !!

Unfortunately I hadn't the correct socket previously to remove the spark plugs but kindly Peter has offered to come down next week to help me sort it out, upon which I have agreed in exchange to pay him in Nando's :p

New HT leads and Spark plugs have been ordered :)

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 182FF
I've decided I like the word reliability now so i'm putting the car on supplements and drugs now ;)

Here are some little bits I bought for him :)

• 1x Wynn's Dual Action Engine Stop Leak
• 1x Wynn's Formula Gold Engine Treatment
• 1x Wynn's Injector Cleaner
• 1x Wynn's Radiator Stop Leak
• 1x Wynn's Professional Oil System Cleaner
• 3x Wynn's Professional Fuel System Cleaner

DSCF5679_zps5a633f6e.jpg

Shame about the water in the spark plugs being wet and everything, should be easy fix and thats alot of engine fluid!
And you will hopefully get more than 13mpg now haha! I put my foot down alot of places and gets over 29, when I drive like a nan on my way to work it gets 40-45, on the motorway lol but its still good haha

RenaultSport 182FF
Shame about the water in the spark plugs being wet and everything, should be easy fix and thats alot of engine fluid!
And you will hopefully get more than 13mpg now haha! I put my foot down alot of places and gets over 29, when I drive like a nan on my way to work it gets 40-45, on the motorway lol but its still good haha

"Shame about the water in the spark plugs being wet and everything"

That is the funniest sentence and you dont even know it :D

Yeah thats what i was sort of getting before :) unfortunately I havent done any motorway miles in it so unsure of its potential.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Just read through all of this. Your car is an absolute peach, it's wonderful! - felt obliged to tell you. Also, your insurance quote in incredible given your criteria; but I guess if they saw how you treated the thing they'd probably think they were charging you a fortune. Eager to see any future work on the engine bay, I'm sure it'll be beaut, keep it up man.

Clio 172 Monaco
Thanks Caz :) Yeah lets hope :p

Ahah take that bloody splitter off and get it up my drive that way :)
Looking forward to seeing your updates, Don't post it in midlands mind ;)

Haha I won't! Or I will try not to post it in there LOL I can't wait to have all the work done should be able change gear and drive better after fingers crossed! I will have try make my thread as good as this 1 so keep your eyes open and watch this space! :-D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It's not often i would read a thread this long from start to finish , but i have . You've done a cracking job there mate , lots and lots of hard work bringing your car back to its best and it's certainly paid off looking at the pics . I take my hat of to ya , well done :D Best colour for a 182 as well ;)

RenaultSport 182FF
Just read through all of this. Your car is an absolute peach, it's wonderful! - felt obliged to tell you. Also, your insurance quote in incredible given your criteria; but I guess if they saw how you treated the thing they'd probably think they were charging you a fortune. Eager to see any future work on the engine bay, I'm sure it'll be beaut, keep it up man.

Thanks mate, it's nice to hear i must say :)

Yeah, I was shocked on how cheap the quotes came back for me on a 182, however I'm not complaining at that price :)

Regards to the engine bay I do intend to have work done on it, I'm currently contemplating getting parts of the engine anodised and getting them sprayed.... I'm just unsure on completion time yet :)

RenaultSport 182FF
It's not often i would read a thread this long from start to finish , but i have . You've done a cracking job there mate , lots and lots of hard work bringing your car back to its best and it's certainly paid off looking at the pics . I take my hat of to ya , well done :D Best colour for a 182 as well ;)

I haven't finished yet buddy ;)

Thanks for the comment mate, really appreciate it :)

RenaultSport 182FF
Some pictures of the car when the 'artic' blizzard came..... did you see what I did there, ahhhhhh :)

Took this off the drive and down the hill to get some nice shots, only traveled 200m before it started to run like a dog again.
Was a real struggle to get it back on the drive, it nearly conked out going up the hill :D

DSCF5800_zps60b4051d.jpg

DSCF5805_zps83cd1b50.jpg

456_zps2ace865e.jpg

Snow_zps8ab1164f.jpg

DSCF5796_zpsc22f70e4.jpg

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 182FF
Looks so pretty;)

Thanks mate, Does look good against the white doesn't it :)

Very nice pics mate, it looks it great condition :)

Want a better camera :( could get even better pictures then.

Love the pics! Great Thread!

Thanks mate, I do try :)

Nice photos. 3/4 plate really tidies it up.

Cheers Jon, They sure do change the characteristic of the car, gives them a meaner look :)

RenaultSport 182FF
So there has been a little delay on me writing up with what has been going on with the car, to cut a long story short it involves long weekends at uni :D

Previously I was experiencing some problems with the car jerking and misfiring a lot! After further diagnostics we managed to find water in where the spark plugs were :(

New parts were ordered!

• 4x PFR6E-10 NGK-R Platinum spark plugs
• Genuine Renault HT Leads

Obviously we were aware that the water would have ruined the spark plugs so it made sense to order HT leads as well just to make sure that the water hadn't damaged them too.

DSCF5813_zps33d2a8d1.jpg

DSCF5818_zpsfba1dbaa.jpg

Off came the inlet and out came the spark plugs.... Now considering these were replaced at 60,000 miles and the car is now on 83,000 miles these should be good for around another 37,000 miles.

We were very shocked :headno: As peter deals with these things day in day out he said that the water would have caused damage to the sparkies but not as much as we were witnessing, these things clearly had been like this for sometime!
Makes you think whether the garage actually changed the spark plugs when they said they did ...... this is what they looked like :eek:

DSCF5816_zps48417f10.jpg

With the part's replaced the car is now running a hell of a lot smoother and pulling like an absolute train :)
Loving it !!

RB Clio 182
Hi Braderz,

Thanks :) umm the expansion tank was actually off of eBay, now the listing doesn't state whether it is genuine or not therefore I got the seller to verify if it was!

He did get back to me and informed me the tank is genuine1 however the cap isn't. I just used my previous cap so I doubt this would be a problem to anyone really :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-EXPANSION-TANK-COOLANT-TANK-/160942185464?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2578e6dbf8

I ordered this the other day and it came this morning, its the wrong fitment, this is actually the right one by the looks of it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...hicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e7693e097&_uhb=1

How do i go on about returning it/exchanging it for the correct one)?