ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 182

FULL FAT 182
Hi James thanks again for the quality service with the RS2 manifold, in regards to the c&b camshafts you had fitted what kind of power did you achieve ?

The profile duration from the cat cam 438's are:

Inlet duration 276 / 268 240 / 231

The profile duration from the Colombo & Bariani are:
286°/280°

FULL FAT 182
Good afternoon peeps I managed to gain 13.4 bhp at k-tec racing using the cat cam 438 profile. I will be compiling a detailed report tomorrow evening.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Good afternoon peeps I managed to gain 13.4 bhp at k-tec racing using the cat cam 438 profile. I will be compiling a detailed report tomorrow evening.

As mentioned yesterday, good to see the 438's delivered. :)

Looking forward to seeing your detailed report later! :D

Possibly going to chop my 428's in for a set of 438's.

FULL FAT 182
Update, following further discussions with Dave at K-Tec racing it was agreed that i would come down to the workshop to see how their custom cat cam 438 profile works alongside the JMS RS2 manifold.

Started off the day getting up at 05.30 am and picked Will up on route and got to K-Tec at around 09.00.
IMG_0471.jpg

Some tasty demo cars, they have slightly more torque than mine :dapprove:
IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Tasty ITB'S one day, one day :approve:
IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

After signing the reliant paperwork it was straight to business with getting the car rolling roaded before the cams got fitted.
Rolling road
IMG_0477.jpg

Standard Clio 172 Cup except for stainless exhaust + decat vs RS2 Manifold
IMG_0492.jpg

Same Standard Clio 172 Cup with K-Tec stage 2 remap vs JMS RS2 Manifold
IMG_0491.jpg

The rollers will read low but it was a good comparison with the cup which was tested before mine, you can see the loss of torque in the midrange and something had to be done about that.

Being that we were in the middle of nowhere we were kindly given a courtesy car for the day, it wasn't the fasted car in the world but it meant we could check out Bournemouth and Poole. Poole isn't the best area, surrounded by drug addicts at cafe Nero and almost got mugged by a seagull.

Here's the 1.2 8v beast without power steering.
IMG_0464.jpg

And survived the trip back
IMG_0470.jpg

After the time we got back it was approaching 3 pm, so we killed some time taking the ITB'd clio phase 1 out for a spin, fook me sideways that thing is quick and noticeable power difference to the RS2 manifold especially the torque delivery.

After getting back it was amusing to see this piece of junk in next doors unit.
IMG_0478.jpg

Cams all fitted and on the rollers for live mapping.
IMG_0486.jpg

Standard Clio 172 Cup with K-Tec stage 2 remap vs JMS RS2 Manifold with Cat Cam 438
IMG_0489.jpg

Before and after results
IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

So with a gain of 13.6bhp and an increse of torque along the rev range i was very happy, after racking up 200 miles this weekend i can honestly say its like driving a new car. the power delivery is more purposeful and pulls like a train with the cams. But if i revert back to the standard manifold the car will be a different animal and is something im contemplainting in the near future.

I would like to thank all of the guys at K-Tec for looking after me and discussing the pros and cons between the rs2 manifold and the standard manifold setup, i throughly enjoyed the trip and it was well worth it.

172/1.2/E30
So your 182 is doing about 183 bhp with cams and inlet? Do you have any pre-modding power figures as i´d say these figures are too low.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Nice honest review about the cams and RS2 manifold. Glad ur happy with it now.

FULL FAT 182
So your 182 is doing about 183 bhp with cams and inlet? Do you have any pre-modding power figures as i´d say these figures are too low.

as i said the rolling road results at k-tec usually read lower, i will take the car back to hayes engineering where i have got the car rolling roaded at every modification. i assume the readings will be higher say 193 bhp ish

Good gains mate. Would be interesting to see what figures the cams make with a standard manifold.

RS2 seems to loose alot of torque unless I'm interpreting your rear-outs wrong on the iPhone lol

FULL FAT 182
Good gains mate. Would be interesting to see what figures the cams make with a standard manifold.

RS2 seems to loose alot of torque unless I'm interpreting your rear-outs wrong on the iPhone lol

indeed Matthew, that's all because of the short runner length. the good thing is i can revert back to the standard manifold if needed and then the torque will be regained. Ill wait and see.

BG182®
Geat write up mate. Glad you put the graphs up too. Gives a good idea of your car in comparison to a near standard one.

All in all though, K-Tec looked after us well that day and it was a good long trip that was worth the journey.

HBT 172 Cup
I actually feel a bit sorry for you after reading all this, JMS should be embaressed to sell that! especially with a £1.5k + price tag. I got throughly ripped for stating exactly what your graphs above show (in another thread).

The best possible thing you can do is revert back to standard manifold and sell the RS2 on and forget it ever happened tbh! 135ft lbs on a "performance" manifold with cams. That should be making 165ft lb's all day long... Do the right thing sell and buy ITB's, mine made 175ft lb's at Ktec ;)

On a different note, your car is stunning a clearly a credit to you :)

BG182®
Laine do you have K-Tec's DTH bodies? I went out in Bex's at K-Tec and it pulled like a train. Sounded fantastic too!

ITB'd MK1
Laine do you have K-Tec's DTH bodies? I went out in Bex's at K-Tec and it pulled like a train. Sounded fantastic too!

he had jenvey DCOE bodies on an F4R in a mk1 running a canems ECU from me, and mapped by Andy, until it dropped a valve in seemingly increasingly common F4R style :( awesome fun on track until it died.

Bex's car is lovely. I was with Andy on the rollers until 2am the night before FCS 2009 mapping that on it's old Jenvey setup, it's made even more torque now with the DTH's I believe

I'm pleased for the OP, the cams have made really good gains. However I have to, atleast in parts, agree with Laine.

To my untrained eye, it's the cams which have given the gains, not the manifold....

I'd be asking JMS the reason the manifold hasn't made anywhere near the claimed figures.

All IMO though. :)

BG182®
he had jenvey DCOE bodies on an F4R in a mk1 running a canems ECU from me, and mapped by Andy, until it dropped a valve in seemingly increasingly common F4R style :( awesome fun on track until it died.

Bex's car is lovely. I was with Andy on the rollers until 2am the night before FCS 2009 mapping that on it's old Jenvey setup, it's made even more torque now with the DTH's I believe

Thats a shame, I can imagine it being great fun in an mk1!

The best thing about Bex's car is she uses it as a daily driver. Just goes to show how usable they are around town. Great bit of kit IMO.

ITB'd MK1
I use my ITB'd mk1 (which is Bex's old car, although I added the bodies) as a daily too, And I'll do the same on the 172 I've just bought once I've rebuilt the engine. Nothing beats the noise, and they're so nice to drive

renault clio 182
great read mate, il be taking my black 182 to ktec v.soon, quick question, who sprayed your turinis anthracite? and how much did it cost? cheers

FULL FAT 182
great read mate, il be taking my black 182 to ktec v.soon, quick question, who sprayed your turinis anthracite? and how much did it cost? cheers

I got the wheels powdercoated at Jp polishing in canvey island Essex for 180. Well worth the trip.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Good review and outline of the day, I enjoyed reading; it's good to see the cams have performed well. :D

Looks like you received a good level of service from k-tec. :)

The thing that still confuses me, as mentioned before, is the results/effect of the manifold.

I know all engines are different, with some being stronger and more responsive to modification than others, but on many of the other RS2 equipped cars the results appear to have been up around the 190/150 point showing positive gains. From what I can remember previously, your car wasn't down on power before the manifold, so could it be possible there's a problem with your RS2?

At the moment, I'm really happy with the way my car feels/performed and, although I don't want to get too hung up on figures, I think I'd be thinking similar to yourself if mine produces similar results. :S

I'm *hoping* this indicates that 428's will also work well with the RS2, taking into account the limited runner length. I'm not sure I want to take that risk though, so may be looking at selling them in favour of a set of these 438 profiles.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results you get from your local regular RR; will be good to see a direct comparison. Glad to see things are progressing in the right direction for you now. :)

53 Clio's & counting
Lovely car dude, but am I reading that right that you had the RS2 on and made 170bhp/135lb ft, then had these new cams fitted which took it to 183bhp/135lb ft?

53 Clio's & counting
Thats what i looks like Gray - I was hoping I wasn't the only one seeing that lol.I know DD rollers tend to read fairly accurate, but thats lowwww

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Thats what i looks like Gray - I was hoping I wasn't the only one seeing that lol.I know DD rollers tend to read fairly accurate, but thats lowwww

Something wrong somewhere? From what I've noticed 172's do make better power than the 182's on the rs2 kit? Would you guys agree with this? Due to get mine fitted at the end of the week. I would be slightly pissed off if it didnt perform

Renault 5 Turbo
Look forward to see what she reads on the Hayes dyno, its good that you keep going back to the original dyno everytime, one less variable out the window

BG182®
Something wrong somewhere? From what I've noticed 172's do make better power than the 182's on the rs2 kit? Would you guys agree with this? Due to get mine fitted at the end of the week. I would be slightly pissed off if it didnt perform

I think that's something I would agree on, Most of the car's that have made good power seem to be the 172's

For instance Ollie seems to be happy with he's ''un-mapped'' and he has a 172.

Would be good to hear your outcome when you have it done mate. I'm still waiting for mine to be fitted, all be it if I keep my job!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I think that's something I would agree on, Most of the car's that have made good power seem to be the 172's

For instance Ollie seems to be happy with he's ''un-mapped'' and he has a 172.

Would be good to hear your outcome when you have it done mate. I'm still waiting for mine to be fitted, all be it if I keep my job!

Think the lowest I've seen on a 172 is 187/145. Could it be something to do with the exhaust manifold difference? Yeah I'll update my project thread as soon as it's fitted and mapped. Going to angelsea Coastal tomorrow :) I hope all goes well with your job mate, been in a redundancy situation few years ago. Horrible

FULL FAT 182
What map did you have before the 438 fitting? Just the standard one out of the factory?

The car was mapped at rs tuning after getting the rs2 manifold fitted, ignore the k tec graph and wait till the weekend as I'll be getting it done at my local rr.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Going to have these cams fitted at ktec in the next few weeks,when I spoke to Andy I said there dyno seemed to read quite low and he agreed,my car has a TDF custom map and makes 179.6 hp 159 ft/lbs on there dyno,so it will be interesting to see what it makes on ktecs dyno before the cams go in.As long as I see and feel the gains I don't mind what it reads.
Nice motor by the way shame the RS2 seems to have a few issues,it really is a lovely bit of kit to look at and it must sound pretty cool as well