ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172!

does anyone know how much hassle it is to convert fbw throttle to cable? is it more hassle than its worth?
Change it to cable its so much better. All you need is a throttle body if your using stand alone ECU.
what gear boxes do you use on the 1.8t conversions ?
The VAG ones.
didnt matts car sell for summat stupid like £4500 in the end ? id of bought it lol but had just bought the 172cup at the time.

Didnt get that even.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Change it to cable its so much better. All you need is a throttle body if your using stand alone ECU.

yeh followed everyones advice and just bought a cable throttle engine complete, eventually managed to find one with low mileage aswell, result :D

SQ5
They are rare as rocking horse s**t.

Really hard to get hold of one!

Piece of piss to get a FBW one!

geesus where did you get it from?

i kept watching ebay, signed up to a few salvage sites to get updates when they got clio's in aswell, rang round a few salvage yards but all of them i found had high miles or could only sell me certain parts and not everything in one go

eventually one was listed on ebay, it had been on for about 6 hours and i bought it, nice price aswell :D had everything i needed on it and was low mileage so snapped it up

i was seriously considering buying a low mileage fbw engine and using ph1 loom, plenum, throttle etc (it doesnt sound like too much hassle, its just easier to get it all in one go!)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
FBW and cable are exactly the same engine - you just take the FBW t/b off the engine and stick a cable type on

MATT i was told the manifold is diffrent so the cable tb wont fit on a fbw engine?

Picking my phase 1 172 engine up today :)

plenum is the same fitment afaik

but you would also need cable engine loom, ecu etc whereas with the cable engine its all there ready

depends what works out cost wise, if you can get the fbw engine cheap enough it may work out cheaper to buy the plenum, loom and ecu etc seperate and swop it over

ive got the valver lump out today, me and the next door neighbour used man power to lift it out the top seeing as i cant get hold of an engine hoist for a while

also managed to snap the clutch cable ring jobbie on the gearbox if you get me? (the ring that the clutch cable goes through and anchors it) looks like i am gonna have to find a good ally welder or try and rig summat up :(

or use a different g/box is another option

use another box is the best option

Hope you have more luck than i do with mine.

why whats up with your box?

i always had a doubt in my mind about using the valver box, its done 114k and im not gonna go easy on it lol

prob save myself future hassle by getting a 172 box, any other recommendations for gearbox on a 172 for track and fast road use?

SQ5
Right couple of engine pics and one of the manifold being trial fitted.

Needs a bit of adjustment but looks the nuts!

And my new favourite place to sit!

01092007051.jpg

01092007049.jpg

01092007048.jpg

01092007047.jpg

Only 200 quid fo the pair!

04092007055.jpg

SQ5
Powerflow in Bury St edmunds.

They're good mates of mine and good lads!

They made up the bend and Y pieces for me then my dad welded it.

Were in the third stage of getting the manifold ready! Little adjustments keep needing to be done!

Also been looking at Jenvey ITB's as I'm running an Omex setup but need some more info if anyone can help!

transit van, ph2 172
so is it hard to fit a vw box ? shafts etc ? only reason im keen to know is i have a williams rally car and need better ratio's and lsd, but to do that to a renault box is gona cost a small fortune !!!!

SQ5
You need the VAG Turbo lump to fit the VAG box, I would of thought!

UPDATE: Manifold now fits as it should not fouling anything!

One step closer!

Remapping is booked for the 5th October for a little inspiration!

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
sorry couldnt get pics up quick enough m8 hows it goin u had it turnin over yet ( manifold loks good ) yeah mine is a very tight fit

SQ5
Its ok, I'm trying to get time to save them all to my HDD then put them up for ya!

Was speaking to someone at GDi about you wednesday! You sold an engine to them.

Popping up there tomorrow to have a look if you fancy popping down about 10! lol!

Not turning over yet as plumbing still not been done.

Did you use valver or 172 rad and hoses?

SQ5
UPDATE!!

Started ripping out ecu and ecu loom last night, just finished to tonight now so I have just the main car loom in!

It was a right mess and only had to cut and join 3 wires!

PLumbing shall commence at weekedn finally and hoepfully enough time to wire it up and fire it up :D

SQ5
Cheers, I'm glad I didn't go decoded ecu way becuase just untangling them wires pissed me off lol!

I now just have to find otu what all relays are for so i can control them from siwtch as Omex only control fuel and Fan, what would the other 2-3 relays do?

SQ5
Plumbed it all this morning with only one small leak which was on a join! SO well happy with that!

Omex all wired in bar a few that didn't need to be!

Set everything right and turn the key and it won't fire!

Just cranks over :( seems the injectores are ceased? Can this happen after sitting in an engine for 3 years that hasn't been used?!

M

mini-valver

Is there a spark? Petrol turns to varnish I think if it's left too long so maybe thats blocked them up??

SQ5
There doesn't seem to be anything at the injector plugs :S using omex, anyone know of any problems it could be?

Fuel pressure may of been to high but surel that wouldn't matter too much and would sill send it in?

Going to ring Omex tomorrow as I think it could be a programming issue :(

yeah most proberly when i first done mine i turned the fuel pressusre reg the wrong way to set it at minimum it was actually maximum and held the injectors shut and thought it was guna blow my pump the way it slowed up

visualize whirled pe
looking good mate i may have some questions for you if you dont mind as i am planning on doing the same, just looking for the right shell first and then will set about sourcing the engine

i assume you are using the omex because the engine has fbw throttle? (sorry cant see it clearly in the pics) i am going the other way and using cable throttle and using standard 172 decoded ecu pinned up to car loom :)

its wayneclio16v iirc who has done it already, i have asked him some questions about the conversion and he has been really helpful

how you finding mounting up the engine?

can i be cheeky and ask your email addy so i can bombard you with questions? :eek:

I dont know if you still have the 106, but because the saxo is very similar chassis, here's another idea http://www.zcars.org.uk/saxo/index.htm rear engined type R or duratec 2.3 conversion. It looks rank but I imagine it goes some.
They'll even do a hayabussa turbo! 0-60 in 3.3 seconds!!

Love the idea of a 1.8T though! very tunable and responds well to cheap(ish) mods and it's a solid lump.

EDIT

forgot to mention, goodluck with the completion to the o/p

looking good mate i may have some questions for you if you dont mind as i am planning on doing the same, just looking for the right shell first and then will set about sourcing the engine

i assume you are using the omex because the engine has fbw throttle? (sorry cant see it clearly in the pics) i am going the other way and using cable throttle and using standard 172 decoded ecu pinned up to car loom :)

its wayneclio16v iirc who has done it already, i have asked him some questions about the conversion and he has been really helpful

how you finding mounting up the engine?

can i be cheeky and ask your email addy so i can bombard you with questions? :eek:

I dont know if you still have the 106, but because the saxo is very similar chassis, here's another idea http://www.zcars.org.uk/saxo/index.htm rear engined type R or duratec 2.3 conversion. It looks rank but I imagine it goes some.
They'll even do a hayabussa turbo! 0-60 in 3.3 seconds!!

Love the idea of a 1.8T though! very tunable and responds well to cheap(ish) mods and it's a solid lump.

EDIT

forgot to mention, goodluck with the completion to the o/p

i toyed with the idea of tuning the 106, but decided against it for a couple of reasons, the main one being cost, i can (hopefully) do all the work on the clio myself, whereas anything as severe as a z cars conversion is not something i would want to try!

my 106 is my daily driver and couldnt bring myself to sell it to fund another project, so did the next best thing, kept the 106 for everyday and bought another cheap car to make into a track/weekend car. granted the 106 is not the most practical everyday car :eek: tis a touch low on the back and my boot is full of ice, but i manage ok.

sorry for the thread hijack djroberts, have you sorted the problem yet bud?

There doesn't seem to be anything at the injector plugs :S using omex, anyone know of any problems it could be?

Fuel pressure may of been to high but surel that wouldn't matter too much and would sill send it in?

Going to ring Omex tomorrow as I think it could be a programming issue :(

Have you uplaoded a base map?

SQ5
Base map uploaded yes, Could it be the Cam solenoid wasn't wired up too maybe?

Should I wind the bolt on my FP Gauge all the way in or all the way out to give it 3 bar pressure?

Not checked if there is a spark yet but thats due to the fuel not getting that far :p

nah the cam solinoid is only a pulse signal from the ecu but that wont work unless u wire it up or have ? the way we wire them up at work on the st170 on omex is to the shift light function which can be set by ur rollin road man at a desired rpm too low say under 2000 rpm will run very lumpy b ut anything after that the same kick as u usally get ? as for fuel presure so a bit inacurate but i bust a pressure gauge off my dads halfords foot pump (sorry dad ) and t pieced it into the fuel line after the regulator to set it then removed it . but ul soon know when u drive if (hopefully )

SQ5
wayne - I don't get what your saying about the Fuel Pressure thing, could you draw a diagram or something please?!

i think what he is saying that he put a T piece from the FPR and measured the pressure (using the foot pump gauge) that way to set it right, as he says maybe not totally accurate but should be ok to get it running? it can then be altered when driven as it should become apparent if it is under/over pressure

edit: i drew a rough diagram but it wont come out looking right on the forum :(