ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172!

SQ5
Thought of this project a year or so back, then cam on here two days after I started and saw someone had done it!

Anyway, Its a K Reg Valver shell with rust galore, Engine wasn't working had willy wheels and got it for £250! Not bad in my opinion!

Currently the engine is fixed into position but hanging also, we also managed to fit PAS unlike the previous one on here :D

Now just got to do all the little things I can while engine is out (belts, clutch, engine bay shine!)

Running on Omex 600 unit, but just standard at the moment, then throttle bodies or turbo, still deciding! And maybe something else but thats secret at the moment ;)

28072007006.jpg

01082007024.jpg

01082007022.jpg

24072007.jpg

28062007044.jpg

28062007043.jpg

How come you went for it over say the VAG 1.8 T or the Honda K20 or the F4RT ie the turbo engine form the Lagun/Megan/Velsatis etc.

SQ5
I was talking to the bloke thats helping me do this and he thought how the hell do you fit a 1.8t VAG lump?

How do you and any pics of it been done?

Basically thought about this ages ago and thought it shouldn't be too hard, plus can look standard too if ya get me?!

Didn't realise they done a Turbo version of this lump!?

I was talking to the bloke thats helping me do this and he thought how the hell do you fit a 1.8t VAG lump?

How do you and any pics of it been done?

Didn't realise they done a Turbo version of this lump!?

Yep its slightly differen engine same series as such though.

A member on here has done one and there another 2 been done.

You need to realy cut the subframe a bit and weld some box section to get the strenght back if your using the 6 speed box the 5 speeds fine the VAGs a bit smaller in theory just the bigger box being the issue.

St rollin on Borbet
here's some picture of a 1.8 vag engine in a mk2 don't know if this with help

Last edited:
  SQ5
Thats great cheers ;)

Just seen the Valver one also in a thread called Clio TT

Looks more room in the MK2. If I had the money maybe but 172 is good for now :D

mini cooper (RIP 172)
good luck with this, keep us up2 date of how its goin;)

whish i had the know how and £££ to do this:eek:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
172 engine will be a great replacement.
Maybe a TT one day

Matt black is the man to ask

ian

MERCEDES CLS AMG
1.8 T engine is a doddle - you can run a specially designed DTA wiring loom to fit and run the injection / Turbo on the vehicle. Me and my mate ( Jordy ) have done both a 172 and a 1.8T conversion in my clio and the 1.8T engine was just as easy.

Heres a few of the several hundreds of pics i have

REBUILDPICS001.jpg

rebuild010.jpg

rebuild004.jpg

power.jpg

Imgp0766.jpg

rebuild026.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

172slee.jpg

cliosle.jpg

rebuildpics5006.jpg

rebuildpics5007.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

cliorebuild7002.jpg

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
looking good mate i may have some questions for you if you dont mind as i am planning on doing the same, just looking for the right shell first and then will set about sourcing the engine

i assume you are using the omex because the engine has fbw throttle? (sorry cant see it clearly in the pics) i am going the other way and using cable throttle and using standard 172 decoded ecu pinned up to car loom :)

its wayneclio16v iirc who has done it already, i have asked him some questions about the conversion and he has been really helpful

how you finding mounting up the engine?

can i be cheeky and ask your email addy so i can bombard you with questions? :eek:

SQ5
djroberts@eapoc.net ;)

I'm finding mountings really easy as basically the same.

Using Omex unit and Cable throttle as omex cant use FBW, just had cable one come through!

Also managed to run it with PAS unlike wayne.

Also the omex unit as its just plug and play basically and can't be arsed to pin it up, also easier when I TB it!

1.8 T Looks awesome! maybe i'll tyr that next lol! Good work anyway! nice sleeper i bet :)

SQ5
Engine went in last night, we are using the 172 standard manifold but cutting it becuase its way to short, and turning it into a 4-2-1 manifold that fits!

Pics soon :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Brilliant Fella, coming along nicely very reassuring too as i'm about 1 stage behind you in doing exactly the same lol (we should start an owners club!). My clio's all stripped and I've just done clutch and belts on the 172 lump. in which way was the manifold too short I'm shopping for a 182 one at the mo.

well im about 10 stages behind everyone lol

although i pick up the valver on saturday so thats a start :D

djroberts - have you looked into the rear g'box mount? wayne said he had to have a custom one made up? but didnt say 'custom' in what way, ie longer, shorter etc

Motorbikes
nice project! wish I had the know how to do something like this as it would be a nice wee challenge. good luck!

SQ5
geesus - I read that two but mine was fine?! I also have PAS which he couldn't seem to do either :S

Got it all Plumbed up last night, no pics becuase they are basically the same!

Exhaust from 172 didn't come reach down enough to go under the car, but can make my own 4-2-1 now so not overly bothered :D

sounds good mate i cant wait to get started

having trouble finding the right engine for the right price at the minute!

where did you source yours from if you dont mind me asking?

kept myself occupied by ordering some coilovers though :D

SQ5
Still looking into brakes and suspension,. but AVO Suspension looks best.

Engine was from eBay! £500 delivered!

was that just the engine or gearbox, ecu etc included? what mileage has it done?

i looked at a few options but FK were within the budget for my suspension, not sure on brakes yet :S

SQ5
Just engine, 51 plate cup engine (15k apparently although has been storwed for 3 years)with ecu and loom although loom was cut, but i didnt need it anyway, I cut it to bits last night!

Where are you getting the FK's from?

getting Fk's from 2modified

spoke to john there on msn and he did a price match for me from a cheaper site, top bloke too, didnt mind spending some time chatting about cars and stuff :D

what box are you using? how u working out the wiring?

sorry for all the questions mate, next i'll be shining a light in your eyes lol

SQ5
LOL!

Omex for wiring, expensive but s**t hot stuff and its plug and play basically!

Using standard valver box until it breaks, so 5-10 miles lol!

ah yeh sorry you did say you were using omex, no such luxuries for me, on a bit of a tight budget :S

yeh wonder how long the valver box will last, surely thats why your rear g'box mount lines up ok? cos u are using the original box? wasnt wayne using a laguna box?

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
Awesome project mate. Was gonna do something similar with mine but ended up putting my TBd F7R in.

I have a 15k 182 engine for sale coincidentally, of anyone fancies some of the same!?!? Pm for details!!

Awesome project mate. Was gonna do something similar with mine but ended up putting my TBd F7R in.

I have a 15k 182 engine for sale coincidentally, of anyone fancies some of the same!?!? Pm for details!!

does anyone know how much hassle it is to convert fbw throttle to cable? is it more hassle than its worth?

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
Not too sure mate i didnt really look into it that much. I noticed your in harrogate, im only over in York so if you fancy it give me a PM.

*sorry for thread hijack :$ *

Last edited: