ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Plate - DVLA Question

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Hi Everyone,

I bought a private number plate at the beginning of the week and have already recieved the information and certificate through the post. I now have to either send it off or take it to a DVLA office now for the next step.

If I take it to the office will they do it straight away so I could put my new plates on the car straight away?

Also, do I need to tell the insurance company/Renault etc once the reg has been changed over?

mk2 ph2 1.2 16v
U go tae the dvla office with ur tax disc and they change it over there nd thn!

yes u have tae tell ur insurance company so ur documents say the new private reg, once the dvla change it it will b changed on renaults database automatically!

if they are not busy they will do it straight away. make sure you have all your documentation though they can be quite didmissive!

Tell insurers when done too, no need to tell Renault they can work off ur chassis number.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Ok thanks!

Really looking forward to getting it on my car.... V4 MUN :D

Do you think my insurers (Elephant) will charge me?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Is it illegal to shorten the plates?

I am a little worried if I do that it might look a bit dodgy!

106 GTi
Alot of insurer's charge a 25 quid admin fee.

Check your local office will do it there first as a few people on here said that theres had told them they would not. I had no problems doing it in my Local one at Worces and only had a 20 min wait the other month times before it had been up to 3 hours! So be prepared for a possible wait.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
The office is closes at 5pm and I won't be able to get there until 4pm! Just hope they can do it for me because I haven't got time to do it for at least a few weeks otherwise!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Pinhead said:
Elephant charged me £15 to change my number.

I have a feeling they are going to charge me too. They have caused me nothing but hassle since being with them and am looking forward to going with another company next month!

106 GTi
I changed my plate a few days after renewal, because they had not issued the full policy yet, was free as there was no admin fee for new docs as they only needed to send a new temp cover note, one to bear in mind.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I am not too worried about the £15, I just want the plate on my car now :D lol

Just hope they are not too busy when I go to the DVLA office as its quite a trek for me.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Thanks for the help everyone. The plates are now on the car after a trip to the DVLA office and Halfords :D

Looks really smart now!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
^^LOL!

V6 was available for the same price but I decided against it. My birthday is the 4th anyway so it made sense :)

Will try and get some pics tomorrow :)