ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering leak, advice on common fault?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Noticed i've got a power steering leak. Doesn't look too bad, but yet to get the undertray off and have a nose. Is there a common pipe that leaks? I refuse to pay Renault prices, as i've seen some figures floating about on here that scare me. Can Pirtek etc make pretty much any hose? Anyone been down this route, and have an idea of prices?

Clio1.2, Dodge Caliber
Make sure you check the pressure switch at the front of the engine between the hard pipe and flexi.
Just had to replace my sons as his had failed and the fluid was passing straight through the switch and dripping down onto the lower pipe.
Dealer only part if it needs replacing :(

182 ff with cup pack's
I had the high pressure pipe fail twice. 1st time I got a replacement off renault I think they charged £180+vat+fitting!! it lasted 2years and failed on track. I took it to my local garage who fitted a pirtek type of pipe for £60!! It's also rated to 300psi when the power steering pump has a max pressure of 120psi so should never fail again (fingers crossed) lol.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Sweet, cheers mate. Any idea on the turn around of the Pirtek pipe? It says an hour on their website.

182 ff with cup pack's
the garage had my car over night so im not to sure but cant see it taking long

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Sweet, cheers mate. Any idea on the turn around of the Pirtek pipe? It says an hour on their website.

I use Pirtek at work and we have a 24 hour turn around with them (As we courier pipes to them and they send them back)

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Cheers folks. Found the fault, was the manifold heatshield bracket rubbing on the low pressure alloy pipe, causing a small pinhole. No way i'm paying £200 to fix a pinhole, so a dab of chemical metal worked just as well.