ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible clio project car - Mk1 clio

MK1 Clio 1.4
Hi all,

i am contemplating many a different route of what i should drive next. But my question to you is how easy can you do a b18ft engine conversion on my clio? this being an old volvo turbo engine i believe, apparently this conversion is what the old boys used to do when i was a young child, yes im 18. which brings me on to my next point, DO NOT TELL ME TO JUST BUY SOMETHING FASTER! you are not my age therefore you do not understand the atrocity that be young driver insurance (especially when you only work part time).

also i happen to lack PAS, easy to convert? manual steering can be a pain at times.

Cheers folks :D

Z4 Coupe
DO NOT TELL ME TO JUST BUY SOMETHING FASTER! you are not my age therefore you do not understand the atrocity that be young driver insurance (especially when you only work part time).

LOL, so we were never your age???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
By the time you tell your insurance that your 1.2 clio now has a 1.7 turbo engine in it, it will be cheaper to insure a 172.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
By the time you tell your insurance that your 1.2 clio now has a 1.7 turbo engine in it, it will be cheaper to insure a 172.

Agreed.

And if he is planning on not telling them he could achieve the same by putting a 1.2 logbook illegally on the 172. Lol

Agreed.

And if he is planning on not telling them he could achieve the same by putting a 1.2 logbook illegally on the 172. Lol

This.

If your planning on not telling your insurance company your a complete idiot.

Just do what everyone else has to do and wait till you can afford the insurance on something faster.

172 Cup
Just focus on some nice hoops and seriously low height

Don't lie to insurance kid, it only takes one slightly clued up copper to look under the bonnet to see all the miles of hoses and pipes the 1.7t's seem to have and realise its not a 1.2!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just focus on some nice hoops and seriously low height

That can still have insurance implications, not to mention ruin the handling, anyone who actually enjoys performance driving isnt going to want some nasty scene car dumped on its arse.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Why not just buy the Volvo? things like that are actually cheaper to insure than a Clio, same as Vectras cheaper than an Astra and the Astra cheaper than Corsa. they have no risk files of Hoodrats rolling in lolvo Turbos so check it out, plus when you come of age you'll have a good looked after doner lump for your chosen job?

172 Cup
That can still have insurance implications, not to mention ruin the handling, anyone who actually enjoys performance driving isnt going to want some nasty scene car dumped on its arse.

Yeah I get that but insurance would be far kinder to lowering and wheels than a 1.7t conversion. And as for handling who cares its a 1.2 he's never gonna be putting good times in on the ring is he!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I get that but insurance would be far kinder to lowering and wheels than a 1.7t conversion. And as for handling who cares its a 1.2 he's never gonna be putting good times in on the ring is he!

Depends where you live I guess.

Where I used to live in somerset I was able to have HUGE amounts of fun in a very well handling but low powered mini.

I had a friend who lived up in the hills, and after visiting there the trip home late at night with gravity on my side back down the twisty downhill b roads was brilliant fun even with very little power.

I dont think its automatic that just cause a car doesnt have a lot of power you cant enjoy its handling TBH

172 Cup

Where I used to live in somerset I was able to have HUGE amounts of fun in a very well handling but low powered mini.

I had a friend who lived up in the hills, and after visiting there the trip home late at night with gravity on my side back down the twisty downhill b roads was brilliant fun even with very little power.

I dont think its automatic that just cause a car doesnt have a lot of power you cant enjoy its handling TBH

I agree with what you say, my friends 998 mini is a hoot! But he wishes he saved the ridiculous money spent on chassis an suspension to go towards a different car! I just couldn't personally bring myself to forking out a fortune on handling upgrades and having them properly set up on something like a 1.2. I'm all for Go>show! But on something that actually goes ha!

Just focus on making it look qwerky lad with out Breaking the bank to save up for something quicker!

MK1 Clio 1.4
Thanks for all the wonderful disencouragement! haha i kid, seriously though i am grateful for the plentiful replies, t'was unexpected, hence my lateness to reply back!

So the majority vote points towards getting my car looking nice and 'cool'? Just a bit hungry for power and tunability tbh and yes the plan was to not inform insurance and just cross my fingers every journey.

and to add my opinion on low power but fun, i highly agree that this can be fun, however i dont live where there are exciting roads on a daily basis so can be a rarity for me.

Insurance is my worst enemy, its the illuminati of the driving world, forcing me to go for small engine small hatchbacks and nothing else. i shan't be making any quick decisions anyway, this was one of many schemes for me to be driving something quick, im in no instant rush.

But just to get a solid answer, to the questions i asked (even if for curiosity's sake) b18ft conversion ease? PAS conversion?

Cheers.

Was your insurance £2500 on a 1.2 when you were 18?

maybe if there were less idiots lying to the insurance companies the price wouldn't be so high.

this.

my 205 xs has got to be the most enjoyable car i've had.

MK1 Clio 1.4
maybe if there were less idiots lying to the insurance companies the price wouldn't be so high.

If insurance wasn't so high, i wouldn't lie. it's a vicious circle.

If insurance wasn't so high, i wouldn't lie. it's a vicious circle.

indeed if you want a clio just pay up it will come down a lot with 1y ncb.

if you want a bit of speed for a first car i'd look at a 205 xs or 106 xs.

MK1 Clio 1.4
indeed if you want a clio just pay up it will come down a lot with 1y ncb.

if you want a bit of speed for a first car i'd look at a 205 xs or 106 xs.

Indeed 1yr does make a huge difference for me but the likes of a 172 or vts seem to fall into a bracket os stupid expensive still, even though i could insure a 106 gti for half what i pay now strangely enough.

meh i will see where things take me, i was never keen on lying anyway, seen an e21 3 series bimmer a few hours ago for £650, a bit of restoration and i would be in something pretty 'cool' and respectable ;)