ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Port Matching - QUESTION

Clio 172
Hey everyone

I started to remove the inlet manifolds to port match them this weekend. Firstly my 172 ph2 is already fitted with an RS stamped lower inlet, which is good. I have taken the top one off to have a look at the mating surfaces and markings on the gaskets and whilst having a look I noticed that at the head end of the lower inlet the surface looks like it has been machined in some way.

Question: should the lower inlet have the typical casting surface or at the head side are they partially machined as standard. I am assuming they should be without machining but as I've never done this before I wanted to check.

I have attached picture but to be honest it's not the best but it's best I can get.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
  Clio 172
Thanks for that.
When I looked down the manifold I couldn't see any joint between the head and the manifold so assumed it was part of the manifold.

I'll take it off tomorrow and have a proper look.

Thanks

Clio 172
Ine other quick question if you dont mind. I am sure I read it somewhere on here are RS manifolds not really worth porting?

Clio 172
Thanks for input.

Presumably I should compare the gasket fit on both parts to ensure matching.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'd leave them a smidge smaller than the gasket holes unless you gonna take the time to see how the two manifold halves match up. You don't want a step up for the air to cross. A small step down is less of an issue.

Trust me when I say that the heads respond well to head work. Everyone I've done for people on here have had great results from them on the Dyno. Inlet porting has very minimal gains if not none from inlet work..