ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polish

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 20 January 2005
Im going to put a faq together lol!

Mark,

As my car is in dire need of a good polish, Im happy to provide my car as the "subject" for this guide ;)

No bodging though!

Ford Fiesta

i dont take my wheels off, do you guys just use the standard jack?

I have a brush to clean inside the wheels and reach round for the back of the spokes.

Turtle wax brake dust barier is good.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

182blue - great Idea there, wash the arches properly when the wheels are off.

Quote: Originally posted by Day172 on 21 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 20 January 2005

Im going to put a faq together lol!

Mark,

As my car is in dire need of a good polish, Im happy to provide my car as the "subject" for this guide ;)

No bodging though!
Bring it on! Piccies may have to be taken!

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 21 January 2005

this came today, good?

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1106339320__IM000006.jpg
The clean wheels is excellent as is the vinyl and rubber acre and imo a shampoo is a shampoo and the if it is used before polishing is largely irrelevant!

The resin polish is a mild cutting polish and needs to be top dressed, I dont like it personally but it is arespected polish on detailing forums as long as its used as a polish and not as a wax!

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 21 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 21 January 2005

this came today, good?

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1106339320__IM000006.jpg
The clean wheels is excellent as is the vinyl and rubber acre and imo a shampoo is a shampoo and the if it is used before polishing is largely irrelevant!

The resin polish is a mild cutting polish and needs to be top dressed, I dont like it personally but it is arespected polish on detailing forums as long as its used as a polish and not as a wax!
^^^exactly what i think too

FAO R-Jay cup, 182 blue and Chris 182 and anyone else interested!

I have already pmd the new owners a few weeks ago about an FAQ/glossary of terms but cant be arsed on my own. Kathy has said she will be happy to put it in the FAQ section:

I would suggest the following terms need describing and should you wish to explain them, pop your name next to the relevant term and email me your explanation and I will send them to Kathy crediting all involved.mailto:involved.Brazenda@aol.com">Brazenda@aol.com

Washing inc 2 bucket method and open hose and deep pile mitt
Clay bar
Paint cleaning/polishing to include swirl removing by hand/machine
Glazes
Paint Sealants
Waxes
Maintaining
Any links to relevant products and what to use to apply/remove would be great for people as well.

If I have missed anything please feel free to add in!

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 21 January 2005

FAO R-Jay cup, 182 blue and Chris 182 and anyone else interested!

I have already pmd the new owners a few weeks ago about an FAQ/glossary of terms but cant be arsed on my own. Kathy has said she will be happy to put it in the FAQ section:

I would suggest the following terms need describing and should you wish to explain them, pop your name next to the relevant term and email me your explanation and I will send them to Kathy crediting all involved.mailto:involved.Brazenda@aol.com">Brazenda@aol.com

Clay bar 182BLUE
Paint cleaning/polishing to include swirl removing by hand/machine
Glazes
Paint Sealants
Waxes
Maintaining
Any links to relevant products and what to use to apply/remove would be great for people as well.

If I have missed anything please feel free to add in!

i will do claybar for now, and see who else wants to do what for now

Wow! nice results 182blue :)

Just browsing on http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukhttp://www.seriousperformance.co.uk for waxs to use on my car now, iceberg silver 172. So far, Im looking at ordering the same as what 182blue used but replacing Clearkote vanilla moose wax hand glaze with just Clearkote moose wax. Does the vanilla 1 take a layer of paint off?

In the meanwhile, I think Ill take the car to a jet wash while I wait for the delivery, please tell me jet wash is ok?

Quote: Originally posted by Jon_1 on 21 January 2005

Wow! nice results 182blue :)

Just browsing on http://www.seriousperformance.co.ukhttp://www.seriousperformance.co.uk for waxs to use on my car now, iceberg silver 172. So far, Im looking at ordering the same as what 182blue used but replacing Clearkote vanilla moose wax hand glaze with just Clearkote moose wax. Does the vanilla 1 take a layer of paint off?

In the meanwhile, I think Ill take the car to a jet wash while I wait for the delivery, please tell me jet wash is ok?

yeh jet wash is ok, as long as your have sound paint and bodywork, the vanilla hand glaze has a mild cutting action, but you would have to use it everyday for years to effect the finish of the car, you only use it perhaps once every 6 months to prepare your paint though, it really is good, and the pictures above were only taken of the car washed then clayed then moose hand glazed, i had not used the poorboys or the carnuba wax at that stage

Clay bar 182BLUE
Paint cleaning/polishing to include swirl removing by hand/machine Brazo
Glazes
Paint Sealants
Waxes
Maintaining

106 GTi

Vanilla Moose hand galze is very very mild. It will fill more defects wit the oils in it than remove them. I used it most weeks in the summer. I think you couls use iy eveyweek for life on your car and never have a problem.

The moose wax is a cleaner/plish and wax in one. Id say stick to the vanilla moose and carnuba wax, and extra step but better results.

On your silver car Jon, I would use Autoglym resin and extra gloss and then P21s wax. Have great results on silver cars with that combo.

182blue I want to see some pics when exed today!!!

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 22 January 2005

Clay bar 182BLUE
Glazes
Paint Sealants
Waxes
Maintaining
i have mailed you the clay guide

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay-cup on 22 January 2005

Vanilla Moose hand galze is very very mild. It will fill more defects wit the oils in it than remove them. I used it most weeks in the summer. I think you couls use iy eveyweek for life on your car and never have a problem.

The moose wax is a cleaner/plish and wax in one. Id say stick to the vanilla moose and carnuba wax, and extra step but better results.

On your silver car Jon, I would use Autoglym resin and extra gloss and then P21s wax. Have great results on silver cars with that combo.

182blue I want to see some pics when exed today!!!

ill try but racing blue is very hard to get a picture of showing the "wet look", but i can tell you im very happy with the look, it so much better than the zymol concours i used to apply

RB182cup&golf gti

Just got the meguiars next tech stuff in the post today been v sad and tried some out on bathroom tiles as too icy to clean car yet, kim and aggy would be proud, proper decent shine

Leon TDI

Another Meguiars fan boy signing in.
Meguiars is by far the best product i have tried. I have bottles and bottles of half used wax and polish from other manufacturers that i bought, but was never that impressed by. Since buying Meguiars, i have not bought anyhting else. Looking forward to trying the NXT stuff soon.
Before i apply wax, i always use the clay Bar to prepare the paintwork, it adds to the finish no end.

My Black/Gold 182 cleaned with Meguiars Clay Bar then Gold Class Wax
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmcgrath/woof_182_1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmcgrath/woof_182_2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmcgrath/woof_182_5.jpg

106 GTi

Black gold paint is looking sweet, that last pic has just told me I have chosen the right colour!

Try the meguiars shop Matt, they have spomge pads for wax on and m/f towels fr wax off, although pricey they are very good!

106 GTi

Sponge pads work well for most products, if you polishing and trying to remove marks by hand and the pads are not really working, try a cotton towel foldered into a pad, works a treat. For removing use the best quality microfiber towels you can.

Brazo - Washing and drying well under way.

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 22 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 22 January 2005

Washing inc 2 bucket method and open hose and deep pile mitt R-Jay cup
Clay bar 182BLUE
Glazes Brazo to be included in above!
Paint Sealants
Waxes
Maintaining

[Edited by brazo on 22 January 2005 at 6:21pm]

106 GTi

Just mailed you Brazo - will do paint sealants and wax next, may as well do them together explain the differences/ combos etc.

How about this for applying the wax/polish :

Meguiars
100% Cotton Terry Towel
500gsm Hotel Grade
Meguiars 100% cotton terry towels will help bring that extra lustre and finish to your deep Meguiars shine. Keep one in the car. Machine washable.
SPA-7201

£3.98

and this for removing the wax/polish :

AG Ultra Microfibre Cloth – Super Soft 300g/m2
Ultra Microfibre is the softest cloth available. It is perfect for that final polish or wax. Brilliant with carnauba wax because its softness. This cloth is perfect for the restorer or enthusiast who must have the softest cloth to pamper his vehicle.

SPSM2525 Gold – 40 x 70cm – Price £6.99

106 GTi

Megs towels - Thats the towels I use to apply polish when removing swirls by hand.

Best off with foam or microfiber hand pads for normal polishing, wax and sealant applications

[Edited by r-jay-cup on 1/23/2005 11:32:06 AM]

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by MattR172 on 23 January 2005and this for removing the wax/polish : AG Ultra Microfibre Cloth – Super Soft 300g/m2
Ultra Microfibre is the softest cloth available. It is perfect for that final polish or wax. Brilliant with carnauba wax because its softness. This cloth is perfect for the restorer or enthusiast who must have the softest cloth to pamper his vehicle.
SPSM2525 Gold – 40 x 70cm – Price £6.99

Not tried any of the Serious Performance sold MF cloths. But the above looks a better buy than the megs ones, and sounds good for removing products

Quote: Originally posted by Day172 on 22 January 2005

Im still offering the use of my car for this guide ;)
If its sunny on the 5th bring it over to mine before hand and Ill see what I can do lol!

i got some zymol towel covered sponges, but also use zymol microfibre wipes, and i got some ag microfibre polishing mits from serious too