ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS top mounts with Bilstein B14 coilovers.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Who runs the above setup.

I've fitted mine and they feel great when on the road, but when I'm on loose ground the knock. It's a wobbling sound, like there loose but everything is tight.

I know they have added washers, but I'm just wandering if others with the same setup have had these issues?

Cheers, Mark.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's bizarre. I've fitted them exactly as PMS/Nick said yet it does it. I took them apart on Saturday to recheck everything and everything was as before.

It's almost like it's not camped down enough. I've been given 2 washers as the bilstein kit is different.

As I said, when driving I feel no issues but when I go over a speedbump or loose gravel, I get a loose noise, like it's not fully tightened. Happened to day when I was driving around a multi storey car park. Odd.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The spring is definitely seated properly? What sort of torque you putting on that middle nut?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have H&R coilovers on one of my Clio’s and the chap i bought them from ran PMS Top mounts.

He had to use about 20 washers to make it all work, so I don’t fancy that. Maybe the same for this that they just don’t fit well?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Are you sure you need these extra washers in?
Sorry if that's an obvious yes but just putting it out there.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
37650790106_7bcf8874dd_z.jpg

23846446798_b9ce108434_z.jpg

It i get a loose feeling, then i was curious that the top nut and bearing is too high? Thats why i wanted to see what others had done.

@RyG Thats a lot! I feel its not 100% right even though ive fitted them as nick said. I even emailed him but he said its correct, but it doesn't feel it tbh.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
The diagram is correct, is the top nut been tightened down? i have a few threads visable above the nut on mine

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Fully tight. To the point I don't want to go anymore invade the Allen key slips in the strut.

Mine went the same, its like the top thread is a locking thread, mine went tight as you describe but did go down further

Just had a look at my photos, i have around 6mm of thread showing on each side

PH2 172
View attachment 1341733

View attachment 1341734

It i get a loose feeling, then i was curious that the top nut and bearing is too high? Thats why i wanted to see what others had done.

@RyG Thats a lot! I feel its not 100% right even though ive fitted them as nick said. I even emailed him but he said its correct, but it doesn't feel it tbh.

I would hazard a guess that you have to work the damper rod through the top spring cover & the 22mm washer on assembly, and it is the 16mm washer that actually seats at/on the shoulder at the base of the threads.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So what are we saying to do? The bottom spacer just slides over the rod and sits on the washers. There is nothing to clamp it down. The bearing/top mount slides over and it's the sleeve nut that clamps it all down. I don't get how it can compress more?

@STEVE.M @npt

PH2 172
clio bilstein-b14-clio-mk2-rs-pic3_1__1.jpg
So what are we saying to do? The bottom spacer just slides over the rod and sits on the washers. There is nothing to clamp it down. The bearing/top mount slides over and it's the sleeve nut that clamps it all down. I don't get how it can compress more?

@STEVE.M @npt

What I`m thinking is that the top spring platform and the 22mm washer, which is there to spread the load, slide onto the smooth part of the damper rod, and that the 16mm ( I/D ) washer seats at the base of the threads.
The fact that you cannot preassemble the leg, or see what is going on is a pain.
If the platform has got trapped off centre, rather than slid below the shoulder could be the problem.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I know I said it earlier about the washers but when I fitted my B14's to my Trophy with PMS top mounts I had only one spacer fitted and they were great with not a single knock?

Hence my question about all the spacers being required?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
This is my set up showing just the one spacer. PMS solids straight on top of these.
image.png

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's what I did think originally. I wanted to see as if others have done the same. I didn't want to take the risk and possibly damage it, so i thought id ask if others have had a similar issue.

I'm thinking of removing one and giving it a try. It feels like it's not fully tightened down when driving, even though it is.

Maybe the double washer is taking the top mount too much, so even though the top nut is tight, the bearing/top mount itself isnt on the strut.

Your washer looks to have a big OD, and perhaps the 16mm ID? I have some washers at work that are large OD, small ID so I may drill them out to 16mm.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Yeah that's what I did think originally. I wanted to see as if others have done the same. I didn't want to take the risk and possibly damage it, so i thought id ask if others have had a similar issue.

I'm thinking of removing one and giving it a try. It feels like it's not fully tightened down when driving, even though it is.

Maybe the double washer is taking the top mount too much, so even though the top nut is tight, the bearing/top mount itself isnt on the strut.

Your washer looks to have a big OD, and perhaps the 16mm ID? I have some washers at work that are large OD, small ID so I may drill them out to 16mm.

@robbie1988 now has my coilovers - I wonder if he could measure the spacer for you ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I see what your saying. Yes they completely butt together and form a seal.

But...... I "think" I have found the cure. I will report in the morning with clarification but it "may" not even have been top mount related.... 🙈

PH2 172
Ah I see what your saying. Yes they completely butt together and form a seal.

But...... I "think" I have found the cure. I will report in the morning with clarification but it "may" not even have been top mount related.... 🙈

I`d be happier if there was a small gap between top & bottom, but keep us posted on an alternative cause.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So I took it all apart last night and changed the washers with the above drilled out to 16mm. Gave the car a quick drive and the noise was still there. I decided to check all bolts and nuts, suspension related as I've recently changed my ARB bushes and lower arms too. The noise turned out to be the nut that holds the stabilizer arm on the lower arms was loose! Gave this a tighten up and drove around the farm and the noise had gone. I guess the arm was knocking and creating the sound through the chassis that sounded like top mounts.

2017-10-24_07-33-19.jpg

With that, this morning i took all the shocks off and changed the top mounts to the original washers and refitted it all. Drove around the farm again and no noise. So I'm happy it's cured and that it wasn't top mounts related.

Thank you for all your responses.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
doh! after all that! basic nut and bolt check fixes it!

gld you sorted it though, nothing worse than fitting shiny new parts and then getting a noise you think is from them

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
doh! after all that! basic nut and bolt check fixes it!

gld you sorted it though, nothing worse than fitting shiny new parts and then getting a noise you think is from them

Absolutely mate. It was bugging me. After I fixed it, I sent Nick at PMS an update/apology as I recently emailed him with the issues thinking it was the top mounts.

I have the same set up and have also been getting this. Ill go through mine. Useful post

Certainly mate. It's free to try.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Just for future info, the reason for the washers underneath our top mounts on B14s is because, for some strange reason, the locating spigot for the top spring cap protrudes through the top spring cap by a fraction of a mm. If you put our lower spacer straight onto the locating spigot the top spring cap isn't clamped up tight and rattles. The 22mm washer bridges the gap, the 16mm brings it down to something reasonable and then our lower spacer on top of that.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I have bought a set of b14's and have some k-tec solid mounts (the older golden type). Any advice on how to mount them? I already got myself some 22mm ID washers if needed, anything else?
Thx!