ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking KTEC Top Mounts

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Now I just recently refurbed some ktec top mounts with new bearings, shim and circlip. Before I did this I was getting a slight knocking from the front end, specifically when on lock up the dropped curb near my house to get to the communal parking. I presumed it was down to the topmounts being knackered and to be honest the sound disappeared when I fitted the KTEC mounts.

However something feels 'loose' at the front end, and all the bolts are tight. I am also getting a slight knock again which is frustrating/worrying. This is just standard cup shocks with cooksport springs on ktec mounts.

I've not even done 500 miles on the ktec mounts, so really hope it's not the bearings that have gone!
It's all assembled correct with top hat, mount, top plate, nyloc. I tightened it the best I could but i doubt it's near the 100nm that ktec suggest? It just spins the top plate as it's difficult to hold it on the allen key.

What could it be down to?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just got the gf to lean on the breaker bar with an allen key socket, and I used a swan neck spanner to tighten up the nyloc nut up more. Moved a little on both sides so fingers crossed this rectifies it.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I have the aame setup and mine ha e always knocked.
As you say, notice it more when i bump up a dropped kerb onto the drive.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well the tightening didn't rectify my issue. Still knocking. Just doesn't feel right, but everythings tight! Not too happy.
I have the aame setup and mine ha e always knocked.
As you say, notice it more when i bump up a dropped kerb onto the drive.
They shouldnt be knocking at all Lee

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I am getting the refurb kit.
Noticed a knocking when stationary and turning the wheel full left and full right.
My mechanic man friend suggests it is the bearings in the mounts.
To be fair they have been on 3 years without much attention.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
If you want to know whether the bearings are good or not, put the front of the car on stands and then pull the wheel up and down. You can do it by hand, although you need to put a fair bit of force, or get a big pry bar between the tyre and the floor. If the nut moves up and down, or you can see the ball of the bearing (I've got PMS ones and you can see) then the bearing is shafted. It might be that the whole bearing is moving in the housing if it is not as wide as the old bearing, although I doubt it. Either way, the nut should not move up and down at all. It's important to have both wheels in the air so the ARB is not compressing the spring of the side you are trying to test.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do the ktec mounts need any washers underneath? I didn't fit it with any, but there is the tophat underneath.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to know whether the bearings are good or not, put the front of the car on stands and then pull the wheel up and down. You can do it by hand, although you need to put a fair bit of force, or get a big pry bar between the tyre and the floor. If the nut moves up and down, or you can see the ball of the bearing (I've got PMS ones and you can see) then the bearing is shafted. It might be that the whole bearing is moving in the housing if it is not as wide as the old bearing, although I doubt it. Either way, the nut should not move up and down at all. It's important to have both wheels in the air so the ARB is not compressing the spring of the side you are trying to test.
Will try this.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The knocking appeared to get worse last night, so I investigated this morning for any loose bolts. What I did find was a loose engine mount nut, and also the allen head bolt was loose.

These were tightened up a couple of months back as they were loose then, so I'll maybe get some loctite on it. The good thing is that the knocking has nearly vanished! I am getting an odd knocking sound from the passenger side, but i'm wondering if the gearbox mount is loose! I'll investigate tomorrow, but similarly to @Dr Jekyll it wasn't related to the top mounts.

Just odd I had no knocking for a couple of weeks after fitting the top mounts and then it came back.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I am getting the refurb kit.
Noticed a knocking when stationary and turning the wheel full left and full right.
My mechanic man friend suggests it is the bearings in the mounts.
To be fair they have been on 3 years without much attention.
3 years is a long time for these bearings, mine are due aswell (Pure ones)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Have you replaced any of the mounts yet mate? I can highly recommend the evol dog bone.
It's running a purple dogbone and black series arb bushes mate. Something else that won't be helping the knock is the fact the outer arb bracket has completely snapped off it was cracked before and I've ordered another but it's off completely now.