ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Rust

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
The Aston would take around 60 hours to do the inner, outer sills and the rear radius arm area. On one side.

An outer arch to do it nicely takes about 6 hours. You have to take your time to weld it in. The sill could be done replaced in a day. So it just depends on hourly rates.
You could easily spend a few days replacing outer sills and repairing the inners where needed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Surprised to see rust like that on a ph1. If I was pushed I would say it had been damaged and never fixed it had been repaired badly before.

I always though the ph1 was decent and the ph2 bodies were really clean. The French usually rot free in the last 18 years.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Surprised to see rust like that on a ph1. If I was pushed I would say it had been damaged and never fixed it had been repaired badly before.

I always though the ph1 was decent and the ph2 bodies were really clean. The French usually rot free in the last 18 years.

My pic was from a non damaged ph1 172. They rust from the inside out, so worth checking behind those door cards.
Out of the 7 ph1's we have here, that was by far the worst. Another one is having new sills fitted, though no where near as bad as the one in my pic... that's getting scrapped.

The Aston would take around 60 hours to do the inner, outer sills and the rear radius arm area. On one side.

An outer arch to do it nicely takes about 6 hours. You have to take your time to weld it in. The sill could be done replaced in a day. So it just depends on hourly rates.
You could easily spend a few days replacing outer sills and repairing the inners where needed.
Wow - that is not going to be cheap at, what, £50/hour minimum for a garage nowadays??

I need to learn to weld...

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
At my work it's £50/hour + vat
I used to work for myself at £40.
Here's a mk1 Lotus Cortina rear arch.

Completely butt welded in, no overlapping.

20150613_204212.jpg
20150615_122849.jpg
20150617_134540-1.jpg

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I need to sort mine, I dropped a nut into the rear quarter the other day, had a poke about and it had fallen through a hole into the plastic sideskirt!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Do the rear door cards simply pop off in order to inspect these areas?

If so - is there a preference in how to remove them? The clips holding them in are fragile, I'm led to believe?

Despite a dire need of a polish, the external view of its first wash in about three months yesterday looks ok from the outside. Its the view from the inside that concerns me!

upload_2018-3-12_13-14-57.png

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Do the rear door cards simply pop off in order to inspect these areas?

If so - is there a preference in how to remove them? The clips holding them in are fragile, I'm led to believe?

Despite a dire need of a polish, the external view of its first wash in about three months yesterday looks ok from the outside. Its the view from the inside that concerns me!

View attachment 1359536
Just pull'em mate. I never had anything break.

@Darren S the best way is flip your seats forward, remove lower rear bench sections and undo the plastic fixing at the bottom on show and also the 17mm? bolts holding the the metal seat belt buckle fixing at the bottom, peel back the door rubber seals and also think you need to remove the front seat belt sliding bars, then they are clipped and also hooked over a lip at the bottom of the rear windows. So you need to pull them inwards and then upwards if this makes sense. Be careful not to rip your speaker wires out, or just remove them first if your unsure, and the cards are also clipped firmly with large lugs into the boot / parcel shelf plastics, but you shouldn't need to remove the complete door card just to inspect the areas in question anyway.

SG9 Forester STi
It’s quite easy but scary, I’ll warn you! Just bought one and found out it’s rotten.

Such a bummer.

Evo 5 RS

Nope, they suffer from rust quite happily. Rear arches and sills especially.

Full fat BG 182
When I checked mine pulling the sound deadening off and having a peak was the scariest thing I’ve ever done lol! Lucky mines like new so I filled it with waxoyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
As soon as I'm next in the garage I'm pulling my side skirts and door cards off... and probably the O/S/R wheel to check behind the fuel cap/filler neck...

Checked filler cap and mine is sound, shame about sill but it looks surface so hopefully I can treat ok.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shame as the Renaults are some of the best sealed cars in the world for corrosion etc. Looks like they need a fresh coat over time though!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Shame as the Renaults are some of the best sealed cars in the world for corrosion etc. Looks like they need a fresh coat over time though!

What do you reckon Gally, is mine treatable from the inside? Sill is solid when poked with screw driver.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
If you look closely you can see where the water has got in through the side molding and sat in the sill with no where to go.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Take the skirts off and poke from outside, mine was much worse with the skirts removed. Done be deceived by it feeling solid inside, mine was packed solid with crap in the skirt.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I was poking fooking hard! TBH i might just be done with it and fit new sills. I don't think they are shot but I don't want to do the job twice. Given the rust is minor now would be the right time. Anyone know if you can buy new sills from Renault? Would make the job much easier.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I was poking fooking hard! TBH i might just be done with it and fit new sills. I don't think they are shot but I don't want to do the job twice. Given the rust is minor now would be the right time. Anyone know if you can buy new sills from Renault? Would make the job much easier.
I think you can buy the front part of the sill but the rear comes complete with the 1/4 panel.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Had a look at my wife's tonight after finding mine were a little rotten.
Lou's ph1 and inside the sill.
20150624_161613.jpg
20180312_192558.jpg

Waxoyled. I'll be giving it some more this year!

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
As mentioned, it could be fixable.. Replacement sill sections are available from the like of Euro Car Parts for about £42. The new section is big enough in height to cover the removed section of rust.

Full length replacement sills are available, and the rear part extends up into the rear quarter by about 150/200mm from memory.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
What do you reckon Gally, is mine treatable from the inside? Sill is solid when poked with screw driver.

It doesn't look to bad, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to hole it. If you've removed the interior panel completely see if you can clean it up a little, pour in some kurust maybe Jack up the back of the car or go for a short drive. Let I'd dry for a few days then get some dinitrol waxoyl, they do one which has an inhibitor in it to neutralise it. If your keeping it then see how it looks in 6-12 months before you decide on fitting sills?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Full length replacement sills are available, and the rear part extends up into the rear quarter by about 150/200mm from memory.

Will get some ordered and fit when the summers out. If they are as you say I will have the rear 1/4 modified so it's just the sill, don't want the 1/4 panel touched as it's bang on.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't look to bad, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to hole it. If you've removed the interior panel completely see if you can clean it up a little, pour in some kurust maybe Jack up the back of the car or go for a short drive. Let I'd dry for a few days then get some dinitrol waxoyl, they do one which has an inhibitor in it to neutralise it. If your keeping it then see how it looks in 6-12 months before you decide on fitting sills?

That's an idea, Phaser suggested something along the same wave length.