ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 Alarm removal - few questions

Morning all..

First post in a while as I dont own a clio anymore, my brother does though and he's having alarm probs.

Had a little search and worked out whats wrong - alarm seems fubar'd, which seems common as they're crap.

Basically as soon as you click the fob to open the doors it just goes off.

I can't be arsed with messing with it as they seem to be prone to problems so I am just going to remove it.

(for all those who may question my credibility Fred knows me as he brought my 172 off me etc etc etc and Fred seems a pretty credible bloke and knows my bro has one so I'll hang my hat there for now)

So questions:

1 The alarm is located under the passenger air bag - I need to remove the dash to get to it and it should look be a cobra alarm? (yes/no)

2 Is the alarm a stand alone system so easy enough to trace the wires and remove - or is it linked into anything else - I am a fairly competent vehicle electrician but I dont want to mess with anything other than straight forward wiring as its not my car.

3 Any problems anyone can foresee with removing the alarm apart from the obvious security ones?

4 Anyone recommend a cheap enough alarm that I can re install thats a bit more usefull?

Thanks guys.

Jake

Vee 6
Dashtop off, Passenger airbag out and you'll find it.

Straight 2-1 upgrade alarm, Either pull it's fuse or disconnect the C/locking wires to stop it getting it's arm/disarm triggers.

The siren is battery back up so it may still sound when disconnected, Shouldn't. but if it's a dud it may do some strange things. Stick a rag over the sounder and let it power down.....
Or do what car thief's do and rip it out and stick it in a bucket of water........LOL

Re: PH1 172 Alarm removal - update - DONE!!

Right ho..

Update - and hopefully help fellow clio sport members out if they search for it.

How to remove/disable the alarm.

Disconnect battery - leave for 20 mins to let everything discharge and make systems safe to work on.

Remove the dash and then remove the air bag ( just move it to one side once un done ) and hey presto 1nr black box of (crap) tricks. ( I actually wore safety specs as a precaution )

There are two lots of looms which connect to a white plug on the back of the of the alarm box- pull this plug out.

I traced one lot of the wires back down to a blue and a black plug in the passenger kick panel ( see pic )

Ignore these wires - I had a look at them but couldn't be arsed to mess about and remove them, they look like something to do with the central locking and flasher units.

clioalarm1.gif

The second lot go to the top of the relay board (see pic)

Its a bit of a fugger to get the relay board out but 13mm nut and a t20 screw and some unclipping and generally pushing and pulling will get it out.

You'll see 4 wires red and yellow ( switch live and live ) and a purple with white stripe and purple with no strip.

Clioalarm2.gif

Disconnect the yellow and red wires and make safe - these are no longer needed but will be live at the end connected to the relay board.

Cut the purple wires - leave enough length as you're now going to join these two together.

Hey presto - done.

Refit everything - pull the wires you cut up to where the white plug is and wrap them up and make them tidy - dont want them rattling around.

The result on my brothers car was that everything still works, indicators when you lock and un lock but now no stupid alarm going off.

I've left the sensors in the car for 'visual deterent and he's going to be using my stop lock.

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
I need pics too..just disconnected my battery as my hazards flashing and alarm being a pig ..