ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pete's budget Ph1 track build

Just another update of a couple of things we managed to do at the weekend. Fitted the new engine top mount. Put an OEM unit in and it has made so much difference. Then decided to have a go at fitting my K-Tec strut brace which I was convinced would not fit.

8627403129_294f043496_c.jpg

It's nice to be wrong sometimes. Only problem is it's now made me think of detailing the engine bay like I did to my 182. Must remind myself that I need to spend the money on fuel and trackdays instead.

Having done that we set about sorting out the scratches on the front bumper.

Before
8628515680_3fb2bcab24_c.jpg

After
8629779698_896700d977_c.jpg

Then decided to lacquer the mirror covers and spoiler.

8627401161_93677f1559_c.jpg

Then finally decided to flatten and smooth the rear wiper blank and then wrapped it in the 4d Carbon.
8628674871_321787ba68_c.jpg

Just a quick update for those people I spoke to at Combe at the weekend. Most assumed the Clio had re developed its starting problem. I explained that my mechanic mate was having trouble with the AST top mounts and the top of the Gaz front coilover was hitting the bonnet when closed. So I managed to get over to Romsey to see him this afternoon. He knew he had the driver's side wrong and needs to re seat the black sleeve below the turrett. He wa sconcerned that there was some play in the top mount when the wheels were off the ground. Soon as the wheels were on the ground there was no movement in them. So we talked about a few solutions and agreed what needed to be done.

Drivers side AST top mount
8693466029_bbe5967d14_c.jpg

Passenger side
8694585044_c13c4bf651_c.jpg

We now have stance
8693466841_a7f9ef0c66_c.jpg

As soon as I get it back will take it to have the suspension geometry sorted and then fit the steering wheel and aerocatches. Few other small jobs to do and then I'll start using it to bed everything in and look to book a track day.

172 Race Car
Fcuk me Pete, they couldnt be fitted any more wrong if they were bolted to the dash!!!!!

the lower orange part goes under the turret. all you should be able to see from under the bonnet is the top locking ring

53 Clio's & counting
as per our convo at Combe mate i knew it couldn't have been too much that was wrong, at least it's an easy fix :)

Got a message from Steve this evening and I quote. "It's easy when you know how". He looked at it after he had finished work and re-set them as Jay's photos and bingo job's a good un. All sorted, now I need to book it in for suspension geometry. . . Thanks for all of your useful comments and I can assure you he is a great mechanic.

Thanks for all those comments about my mechanic. He greeted me tonight with a few choice comments about hanging up his spanners. I had texted him a link to this thread so that he could see Jay's picture of how the ASTs should sit.

8703181418_79d785afdd_c.jpg

Picked the car up tonight and all is good. Drove it home gently and decided to do a few bits on it tonight. Fitted the rear strut brace.
8702054619_e12d8b4b34_c.jpg

Then Tim decided to look at getting the steering wheel off and before we knew it:

8702055407_f23982fa02_c.jpg

Now to get it down to have the full suspension geometry and wheel alignment done, Booked in for next week.

Also booked my dash in to be flocked next week. So last night we decided to blank off the passenger airbag cut out ready for when we remove it.

We used a plastic chopping board from Ikea as it was flexible enough to bend to conform with the dashboard. Tim plastic welded it in place so it is a permanent addition now.

8702056903_079655cb34_c.jpg

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Is your wife still looking for her salad chopping board?

How's the top mounts? Made much difference?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Mine will look a proper 4x4 next to yours and chris's.

Really want to go lower but scrape the front already quite alot.

RenaultSport 172
Really like the acoustic cloth in the back. Mine looks a right state all stripped. Where did you get them rear door cards?
​love the project. I've been doing similar stuff with my ph1

Really like the acoustic cloth in the back. Mine looks a right state all stripped. Where did you get them rear door cards?
​love the project. I've been doing similar stuff with my ph1

We made the rear door cards out of thin mdf and covered in a carbon wrap. Not easy but a nice cheap mod. Will probably do the same to the fronts. Cheers for the comments it's been a buzz building the car and coping with the problems it threw at us.

Another update as we seem to be getting to the point where we say it is done. Last week I got it down to the Wheel alignment Centre in West Quay. Thanks to Nick who did a great job on setting up the geometry. Really is a different car now. Dropped some parts off at the Flock shop as well so watch this space. Was going to give it a detail on Saturday but decided to fit the aerocatches and some stickers and settled for a quick clean between showers. Then on sunday took it to Beaulieu for Simply French day. Took it for a drive for some photo opportunities but gave up due to the weather. now to just drive it to put some miles on it to bed the brakes and suspension in. May lower it a bit more and stiffen the adjustment up on the suspension.

8738869585_a99fc74ef6_c.jpg

8739987104_f260eef6b1_c.jpg

At Beaulieu
8740058990_8cf9f64804_c.jpg

Picked up the dash and a few other bits from the Flock Shop today.

8916142332_5996704122_c.jpg

Door pulls
8915523703_c7cb67d1b9_c.jpg

Also did the steering wheel cowl but didn't manage to get any pictures.

Decided to do a few more bits and pieces and finally managed to fit the front tow strap.
8915518675_b89e06ff41_c.jpg

Then we finally got round to doing something with the bullets. Not what I had in mind but really pleased with them.

8915513749_4140f99c5e_c.jpg