ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/ Consoles] Crysis 2 Official Thread

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Sh*t game. I was bored after a few hours of 'this is kinda cool' wore off.

It doesn't even have it's killer looks anymore. That's now BF3's realm... even on consoles.

There's a fella on my Facebook who spent over a grand preparing his machine for Crysis 2, only for it to look worse than the original.

That's a strong pwn.

Hmmm I can like totally understand that view, but it doesn't have killer looks anyway. After a few hours of thinking 'this looks reasonably pretty actually' you soon realise it's flat and very '2003'. The lighting is bloomy, and the shadows are either not there or rubbish. The textures are s**t, and the AF is, well, it isn't AF. Can you say DX9? LOL.

Crysis maxed out makes this look like Manic Miner. TBH though the game is actually really good. Well I'm enjoying it at least.

The thing is though, the DX11 changes are going to result in the game crippling power PCs. Now, last week I'd have said this was good. In fact it was a necessity, but here's the problem. The game isn't good enough to entice me into building a monster machine again. Spending thousands for one game is mad but cool. Loads of people did it with Crysis. The thing is though, it was an amazing game. Who's going to do the same again for a game that while very good, is also very flawed. Nothing worse than shooters that attempt to extend their campaign by forcing you to continually retry the same sequences over and over and over again. It's lazy design. Lazy design that is forced on the player by not including quick save. I don't think I'll bother finishing it.

Blah blah rattling on etc. I like the game, but not enough to build a machine to play it on, so DX11 can suck my balls. I'll keep my plans on hold and see what happens around the time FarCry 3 is hitting stores.

Good point, I certainly won't be upgrading for it. Will they make it so it cripples PC's though? I have a feeling they will add a few touches to make it look better, but can't see them going all out to match the original crysis. Seems a half arsed after thought to keep PC owners happy IMO.

Not sure dude. I've read on MyCrysis forums, from an employee, that the DX11 changes are going to 'blow your mind'. Pretty sure it can't do that without dry raping about 40fps off your current average. It does have the advantage of not having to render a trillion blades of grass and draw them as far as the eye can see. In that regard it may stand a chance of not f**king your PC over but I have a feeling it will if they do it properly. Again, this is a good thing because it means they'll be pushing the envelope again (man). TBH anyone who thinks a DX11 maxed-up Crysis 2 isn't gonna poon their machine, is going to have a surprise.

A high-end DX11 PC is basically like two generations ahead of the City Consoles. Potentially, Crysis 2 in DX11 could look like a game that you'd expect to see on PS5 or xbox 1080. Food for thought.

Evo 5 RS
Just because they're going to patch it to DX11 doesn't mean s**t imo. I just played through Witcher 2 which is DX9 and looks 10x better than anything I've played in recent months, including Crysis 2.

Crysis 2 sucks because you're boxed in due to the Xbox memory limitations. Or put even more bluntly Crysis 2 sucks because it's on Xbox! It is as simple as that

MP's alreet though...ish

For a year.

That makes no sense. My PC is currently way out of date. The newest part is the GFX card and that's 2 years old. The rest is at least 2 years older than that, but it plays all games with one hand on the wheel, largely thanks to your xBox as it happens lol. The old PCs are out of date in a year card is redundant these days, because they are not really pushing the games forward. You don't need a monster PC anymore to play hot games, as Crysis 2 has proven.

Silent, no you're right. DX11 in itself does not mean Crysis 2 will instantly look like RL or anything. It depends how much effort Crytek put into it (or are allowed to put into it) and how hardcore they want to go. My comment about two generations was technically correct but also a bit fanciful. Unfortunately it seems to have inadvertently sparked of Console Wars. Oh no.

Goliath I
Been playing this on the 360 and seems riddled with bugs, not sure fits been updated as my broadbands out.

Some of the ai is terrible, some enemies running in circles? Can't collect some dogtags and crashes on occasions.

I briefly played the original on the pc and doesn't the new one seem a patch against it.

Not sure dude. I've read on MyCrysis forums, from an employee, that the DX11 changes are going to 'blow your mind'. Pretty sure it can't do that without dry raping about 40fps off your current average. It does have the advantage of not having to render a trillion blades of grass and draw them as far as the eye can see. In that regard it may stand a chance of not f**king your PC over but I have a feeling it will if they do it properly. Again, this is a good thing because it means they'll be pushing the envelope again (man). TBH anyone who thinks a DX11 maxed-up Crysis 2 isn't gonna poon their machine, is going to have a surprise.

I hope they do tbh. I still wouldn't upgrade to get max settings etc but it would be nice to see them pushing the boat out.. Just a shame they didn't do it upon release which would have saved them some bad press.

Yeah I agree. If nothing else, PC gaming needs Crytek right now. We are in our hour of need. Please poon my machine! lol.

Really enjoying this game now actually. Much more than I thought I would. I've just been playing 'Out of The Ashes' which I believe is quite close to the end. Plenty of downsides, and plenty of ups, but basically it's brilliant.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I agree. If nothing else, PC gaming needs Crytek right now. We are in our hour of need. Please poon my machine! lol.

Really enjoying this game now actually. Much more than I thought I would. I've just been playing 'Out of The Ashes' which I believe is quite close to the end. Plenty of downsides, and plenty of ups, but basically it's brilliant.

They won't be our saviours unfortunately - so long as the bean-counters in charge necessitate a console version too. As much as I'd love to believe that a hardcore 'fcuk-consoles' group of staff are beavering away in Crytek on the next PC-only release, it just isn't going to happen. :(

D.

I wonder if the DX11 update will be free? I can't see them trying to charge PC gamers twice for the game that they wanted to begin with. The backlash would be immense.

Evo 5 RS
rofl, make your mind up Roy. I don't understand how you could of thought different whilst playing it! I hated every second of it

It's awesome but the checkpoint save system is f**king annoying. If you hated every second of it why did you play it? Did you complete it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's awesome but the checkpoint save system is f**king annoying. If you hated every second of it why did you play it? Did you complete it?

Yep, I completed it. Liked it overall, with some good set pieces. But the enemy AI barely moved and to the most basic of cover when under fire. The amount of times I could kill an enemy behind cover as it/she/he showed their shoulder or head above the parapet was silly. Nothing at all like some of the sneaky fcuks from the first game.

The walker-things were a bit silly too. The instant you put a foot out from cover, the turret would swing in your direction and fire away...

D.

Evo 5 RS

Yep, completed it. I payed actual currency for it so it would of been rude not to! Were a couple of moments - like where the metalife building comes down.

First game kicks the shiz out of it, would never consider replaying this one

I wonder how the patch will be applied for Steam users? You'd normally expect it to just keep itself up to date like any Steam game, BUT Crysis 2 has been pulled from Steam as a result of some legal complications between Valve and Ubisoft. I wonder if existing Steam owners will have their game automatically updated in the normal way.

A post on MyCrisis, hastily taken down shortly afterwards, reveals some details about the update, along with a screenshot. Thankfully NeoGaf user BeeDog managed to grab it before the takedown.

UPDATE: Vivec from the forums managed to grab the side by side comparisons before the site went down, take a look inside.

The text of the page reads as follows:

DirectX 11 Ultra Upgrade
The DX11 Ultra Upgrade is a free visual improvement add-on introducing DirectX 11 support as well as a wealth of graphical improvements and performance optimisation for both DX11 and DX9 APIs.

When using the new ‘Ultra’ spec, DX9 platforms will benefit from realtime local reflections and contact shadows. The owners of DX11 platforms , in addition, will be able to enjoy hardware tessellation (requires the installation of the “Tessellation Package”), parallax occlusion mapping and several improvements for shadows, water, particles, depth of field and motion blur.

DX11 Tessellation Pack (optional download)
This free pack containing pre-tessellated geometries is necessary in order to be able to enjoy hardware tessellation on DirectX 11 graphics cards. A compatible DX 11 graphics card is required.

High Res Textures (optional download)
This high resolution textures package provides higher textures resolution for a wide variety of assets. It supports both DirectX 11 and DirectX 9 versions of Crysis 2. A 64 bit operating system and graphics card with at least 1GB of memory are required.

Crysis 2 is already an impressive looking game, so the promise of “parallax occlusion mapping” is just icing on the cake.

Yummy.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting........

The first Crysis was tailored directly towards the glorious PC master race. So the fact the sequel pared back the hardware demands in favour of something that would run on a console did not go down well.

The game's reception reflects this, and has perhaps led to a reassessment of the decision, Crytek boss Cevat Yerli telling Gamasutra "Crysis 1's intention was, if I were to play it three years later, it looks great. And it does, actually, it fulfilled that. But it made it difficult for entry-level players. So with Crysis 2, we took a different direction, and it backfired a little bit."