ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Out with the old

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
and in with the new Intercooler, Came yesterday couldnt wait to fit it, Its been hand made for me the core is from God Speed any comments welcome!

FittingIntercooler002.jpg

Out with the old
FittingIntercooler012.jpg

And in with the new
FittingIntercooler007.jpg

FittingIntercooler018.jpg

Thanks for looking

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
From Christos mate?

Looks Tidy! You noticed and diffrence?

Yea from Christos his Dad has done a mint job looks amazing! Well havent noticed anything yet as in better performance as I never got it all back together until 10pm and the outside temp is only 15oC but if its hot tomorrow I can give it a real test!:D I have noticed alot more induction noise and the DV is louder!

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
You have a big one! hehe! Thing is with the Meg its only a small turbo so big is not better in this case as boost will drop!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
what size turbo they run?? s13's run the same size as that and they run t25's im a t28....

i doubt u will see a massive improvement if any over your standard... its just bigger might make a bit more lag as it takes longer to fill with air... however it will cool better... do you have solid or rubber boost hoses???

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
u wont loose boost with a bigger intercooler and it wont drop... it will just take longer to get up to pressure... as the actuator still has to see the same pressure to open...

i.e if the actuator is set at 10psi and u have a 5l intercooler
u then stick a 20l intercooler on the turbo will still boost to 10psi u just need more engine power to do it....

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
what size turbo they run?? s13's run the same size as that and they run t25's im a t28....

i doubt u will see a massive improvement if any over your standard... its just bigger might make a bit more lag as it takes longer to fill with air... however it will cool better... do you have solid or rubber boost hoses???

Hi that first quote just went over my head the Meg is my first turbo car and have never been from a turbo background. Was only told the info I put up about bigger not being better for the Meg, Thats one thing I liked about the Meg there is no lag so I had my fingers crossed that a bigger intercooler wouldnt create lag and im impressed I would say its very minimal only noticed it between 2.5K and 3K over that changing gear its back in instant! I have the standard hoses which are rubber, does this make a difference??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
people argue that solid hoses dont make much diff an are just bling... however i noticed with soft boost hoses when i changed to solid ones they made it boost quicker guess the hoses dont expand...

i would think the meggy runs a t25 or 28, its the sizing of the turbo the bigger the number the bigger the turbo... and normally bigger power...

u running a dump valve?? is it venting to atmosphere or recircing back in to the engine??

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
Its all making sense now! Yea running a DV its venting to atmopshere is that good? I have put a blanking plate on the turbo where a recirculating valve was!?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hnmmm well i dont run any valve on my 200 just for the noise, compressor surge is sexual however it does effect the smoothness of the car, alot of 200 owners are now running uprated recirc valves... they dont make a noise but make the car ALOT smoother and seems to help with acceleration... might be worth contacting forge motorsport and see if they do something, do u know if the meggy runs a map sensor or a airflow meter??? if it runs map it wont make any diff but if its airflow it will...

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
Havent got a clue about either a sensor or a meter! Yea got my DV and blanking plate from Forge and with that am I right in saying that another car company could use the same turbo fitted to my car?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh most turbos fitted to cars are made by garret... they have a universal fitting, a t28 flange is a t28 flange just like a t3 is a t3... basically any car that runs a t28 can use a t28 off of another car, like if the meggy runs a normal cored t28 with normal bearings, you could stick a t28r with has a rollerbearing core on it from a nissan s15 silvia, the rollerbearing will make it spin up quicker etc.. then you have the diff ar ratios of the exhaust side, it gets very very confusing, like some people will use a t3 compressor on a t28 exhaust housing... so they can fit it to a t28 manifold lol... its all complicated, there are a few good books on it u can do all sorts like getting cut back blades, then there are diff types of turbo like twinscroll and vnt, a vnt turbo has vanes inside it so at low rpm and low pressure it acts like a small turbo... then at a certain pressure they open up to make it a bigger turbo... its very confusing lol....

have an ask on a meggy site weather its map or afm type sensor and what size turbo then post back would be interesting to know :) and also what the spec of the turbo is like the ar ratio and if its a rollerbearing or not...

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
yeh most turbos fitted to cars are made by garret... they have a universal fitting, a t28 flange is a t28 flange just like a t3 is a t3... basically any car that runs a t28 can use a t28 off of another car, like if the meggy runs a normal cored t28 with normal bearings, you could stick a t28r with has a rollerbearing core on it from a nissan s15 silvia, the rollerbearing will make it spin up quicker etc.. then you have the diff ar ratios of the exhaust side, it gets very very confusing, like some people will use a t3 compressor on a t28 exhaust housing... so they can fit it to a t28 manifold lol... its all complicated, there are a few good books on it u can do all sorts like getting cut back blades, then there are diff types of turbo like twinscroll and vnt, a vnt turbo has vanes inside it so at low rpm and low pressure it acts like a small turbo... then at a certain pressure they open up to make it a bigger turbo... its very confusing lol....

have an ask on a meggy site weather its map or afm type sensor and what size turbo then post back would be interesting to know :) and also what the spec of the turbo is like the ar ratio and if its a rollerbearing or not...

Thanks for all your help mate! I will have a look on there for specs and pm you with the info. Think I need to do some homework on turbos!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
intercooler does look very nice though :D tbh the first pic i thought it was an evo lol!!! yeh gimme a shout :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Is the rest of it standard? Does a bigger intercooler give any advantages over a stock one?

F1 R26 #1939 265BHP
Is the rest of it standard? Does a bigger intercooler give any advantages over a stock one?

Hi, The rest of the car is standard apart from a re map, The advantages of a bigger intercooler over a stock one is it cools the air more so the cooler the air going into the engine the better it is, You will notice the gains on hot days and your car should go as good as if it was a cold day.
This is all new to me so if im wrong please feel free to correct me thanks.