ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/Wilwood/2118

C3 Picasso Beast
Re: Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/428s/Wilwood/2118

Hi mate...

Just wondering where you got your wheel bolts from??

Thanks

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Hi mate...

Just wondering where you got your wheel bolts from??

Thanks

Check out the Group Buy section in the 'For Sale' part of the forum, someone is running a buy on the locking nuts and bolts :)

C3 Picasso Beast

I've got my name down there but nothings really happening on it and when it does they'll take 2-3 weeks to arrive apparently...

I know there's some on eBay but haven't got a clue what size I want and as Ollie's got the same wheels I'm having on soon thought he'd be the man in the know!

Renault 5 Turbo

Really interested to see what this'll do fully mapped, i was originally gonna have one of these RS2 kits, but decided not to in the end, hope it goes well mate :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Apologies for the slightly delayed reply, I've been up in Manchester over the weekend.

The wheels bolts; I got them from sixonetwo ltd, they have both their own website and an eBay shop. :)

Assuming they have them in stock, they're almost instant delivery. iirc, I ordered mine one day and they arrived the next.

Just something else to post up in here too. The car averaged 45 mpg on a 290 miles round trip, which is pretty impressive considering it's running the intake and currently on the stock map. :)

BMW E92/Audi S3

This thread has helped me decide what I want if things go tits up with my stolen car.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Thanks, guys. :)

As I've not heard back from Tom regarding the calibration work/results, I think I'll need to decide on the route to take regarding the cams; it's been a month since the RS2 was fitted and running it unmapped indefinitely obviously isn't an ideal setup.

So, realistically, I have 3 options.

1.) Sell the cams, have the car mapped as it is.

2.) Have the 428's fitted and mapped, running the risk that they won't perform very well alongside the RS2.

3.) Sell the 428's and purchase a set of 438's to have fitted and mapped at KTR. These have been ran alongside the RS2 and showed strong results.

Thoughts? As I'm a little stuck! :dapprove:

Evo 5 RS

I fail to see what the problem is with running 428s on the RS2. Is it just purely because you/they think there will be little gain to be had? Seems daft tbh mate, if you've bought them, have them fitted IMO.

BG182®

Option 3 ;)

After seeing Nick's car I think they're the best bet. It's something I will be doing once I sort things out with my job!

M135i and the shed

Have you spoken to Matt at TdF to see what he could do in terms of mapping with 428's and the RS2? I'd imagine he'd have as good an idea as any with regards to their compatability?

Evo 5 RS

Have you spoken to Matt at TdF to see what he could do in terms of mapping with 428's and the RS2? I'd imagine he'd have as good an idea as any with regards to their compatability?

I don't think Matt will touch the stock ECU.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Ollie, didnt you pay for mapping when you got the RS2 (I went for mapping and fitting package) if you have already paid for mapping then I would get them fitted and take the trip to RST for the mapping.

Ollie's Silver Cup

I fail to see what the problem is with running 428s on the RS2. Is it just purely because you/they think there will be little gain to be had? Seems daft tbh mate, if you've bought them, have them fitted IMO.

I'm not entirely sure what the potential 'issue' is regarding running the 428's. They were due to be fitted the same day as the manifold initially, but Tom said he wanted to hold fire on fitting them/deciding what to do until he had the calibration information/results.

I think the concern is if they showed very little or no increase, given the runner length of the manifold. It would be a lot of money to have them fitted if the end result is exactly the same as the manifold alone. That's how I understood it, anyway.

It's a little frustrating that the cams weren't done at the same time as the manifold, and that it was called off at the last minute, but the way I'm looking at it is that it was better to postpone it slightly than rush into it and potentially just throw money away. :)

The calibration results were expected the same week I had my kit fitted, but as far as I'm aware it's not happened as yet.

Option 3 ;)

After seeing Nick's car I think they're the best bet. It's something I will be doing once I sort things out with my job!

Yeah, they do seem the best option in terms of performance, given the results posted elsewhere.

But, sadly it's not a cheap option as it would be another £1200 outlay for 438's, fitting, mapping. I'd only then be able to get back a few hundred selling my 428's.

Ollie, didnt you pay for mapping when you got the RS2 (I went for mapping and fitting package) if you have already paid for mapping then I would get them fitted and take the trip to RST for the mapping.

Yes mate, the mapping session at RST has been paid for as part of the package at JMS.

I'll most likely persevere, it's just results from the 438's that left me with a bit of a conundrum. :eek:

FULL FAT 182

Hi Oliver, I would exchange the 428's for the 438's at k tec and get them fitted there.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Hi Oliver, I would exchange the 428's for the 438's at k tec and get them fitted there.

I don't think an exchange would be an option, as I've had the 428's sitting here for a little while now.

If I went this route, I would have to sell them on here and then buy the 438's. :)

Currently making some enquiries regards my options though!

53 Clio's & counting

Id stick in the 428's and chuck on some itb's and say high to well over 200bhp ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Id stick in the 428's and chuck on some itb's and say high to well over 200bhp ;)

haha! :rasp:

Before I committed to anything, it was a difficult decision between ITB's and the RS2 setup. I'm ultimately happy with my decision, as I love the way the car feels with the RS2. I feel it's a perfect compromise on an everyday road car.

I'd have probably been happy with just the RS2 alone, but seeing as I have money invested in a set of cams and that was the overall plan, I'd like to progress with it in one way or another. :)

Renaultsport Clio 172

IMO if you have the cams and have paid already for the complete thing get it done and use your assets. one thing you need to learn is that you cannot have it all. it makes no sense (to me at least) to spend another K, to gain what? 1Bhp? And that other thread doesn't look promising either as it has demonstrated the RS2 mani actually loses torque, that flat curve means crap, it can be a table, but if it is lower vs stock anytime in the band I just don't see an RS'd car being any quicker than a stock one. If you look for power it seems that you may be better off by just selling the rs2, put cams in and map to suit. Cams have proven to be consistent 190+ most of the times, whearas the mani seems to made that only in one dyno. Just my 2cts

Ollie's Silver Cup

After making a few enquiries I've made the decision to push on, as originally planned, and have the 428's fitted. :)

From speaking to Dan (sidewaysdanny), I'll be booking the car in shortly with him for this to be done. :D

Then it just leaves mapping at RST, which I've already paid for as part of the RS2 package.

Ollie's Silver Cup
I'm not entirely sure how the mapping side works; whether I can book directly with RST or have to go through Tom to verify the purchase/payment.

Once I can verify this, I'll be proceeding with the cams. :)

R26
Glad to see youve made a decision. Danny will look after you and not leave you in the dark like other tuners ;)

Regarding mapping when i had my rs2 I rung Paul@rst directly because you know what it's like trying to sort anything out through JMS. Paul will just book it in and sort payment with JMS directly.

Good luck with it all!

FF 182

ooooooooooo i wanna come down when you see Dan :) just up my way :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

And four posts later, a complete 180 degree change of plan; even for me, that was quick! :eek:

Following a quite lengthly discussion with James (JMS) earlier today regarding my car; the cat cam 428s will be up for sale shortly. (possible bargain for someone ;) )

It would be a lot of money (another £500-£600) to put into having them fitted, when the perspective results aren't looking very promising in all honesty. Ultimately, the consensus is, I'd be risking loosing a substantial amount of mid-range torque for a few bhp on the top end.

I REALLY wanted to proceed down the cams route as I'd purchased them, previously made arrangements to have them fitted, etc. But, the whole thing (running aftermarket cams with the RS2) seems very much a gamble. I don't want to damage the feel and power delivery, as that's what I really love about the manifold.

So, that's it, once the mapping is sorted that'll be my engine work/modifications completed and finished for the foreseeable future.

As I've expressed regularly since having my RS2 fitted, I'm really happy with how it's transformed the car. As with all modifications, there's conflicting and opposing opinions on the manifold; I'm confident in the product and the way my car feels. Hopefully, the mapping will only improve on this and produce some positive results.

On the plus side, it'll free up a few extra pennies towards some "b**chin' chairs". :evil:

Thanks for reading, Ollie.

172/1.2/E30

Are there any "testing" facts to prove that the 428s do not work well with the RS2? That aren´t good news as i wanted to run the same combination on my 172... Sad times, i should have gone the ITB route. Hope you get better results with your 172 than the recently mapped 182.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

atleast your making a decision that you probably wont regret mate. imagine fitting the 428s and regreting it after all that money spent.

R26

Sorry if i have missed something but why has it taken up until you booking your cams in with another trader for them to turn around and tell you they are no good.

Ollie's Silver Cup

Are there any "testing" facts to prove that the 428s do not work well with the RS2? That aren´t good news as i wanted to run the same combination on my 172... Sad times, i should have gone the ITB route. Hope you get better results with your 172 than the recently mapped 182.

I'm not entirely sure whether there are testing facts, I'm assuming it's based on the experience of working with various RS2 equipped cars in different states of tune and how they've responded.

As James said, I could proceed with it and be happy with how it turns out. Previous experience however suggests it would/could be a bit of a gamble, whereby the negatives could out way the positives.

Ultimately, I'm really happy with the RS2 and, even unmapped, I love how the car feels. I don't want to risk spoiling this. :)

I'm not the most technical person tbh. My advice would be, if you're in a similar situation/dilemma, speak to James; he took the time to discuss it in detail and help advise on my various options.

atleast your making a decision that you probably wont regret mate. imagine fitting the 428s and regreting it after all that money spent.

I hope so. :)

Sorry if i have missed something but why has it taken up until you booking your cams in with another trader for them to turn around and tell you they are no good.

I hadn't booked in to have the cams fitted dude. I had enquired regards price and decided myself that was the route I wanted to take; I planned to book once I'd found out about mapping though. :)

My query with James was regarding mapping and how to go about arranging this. I raised the issue of the cams and he offered his opinion on it. He and others can advise, then it's up to me to make (hopefully the right :eek:) decision.

Ollie.

53 Clio's & counting

I think you are doing the right thing mate.

It is amazing how different duration cams can have such an effect on an engine - It would be a £1000 risk to take if it didn't work (when you factor in fitting, mapping, then removing and refitting the standard cams then mapping again if it didn't work) and that is a big chunk of money to risk.

If you feel like you need more power then itb's are the next stage, but for now if you are happy as you are then that is all thats important :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

I think you are doing the right thing mate.

It is amazing how different duration cams can have such an effect on an engine - It would be a £1000 risk to take if it didn't work (when you factor in fitting, mapping, then removing and refitting the standard cams then mapping again if it didn't work) and that is a big chunk of money to risk.

If you feel like you need more power then itb's are the next stage, but for now if you are happy as you are then that is all thats important :)

Yes mate, thinking logically, I think it's probably the right decision. :)

As much as I'd have liked to run with aftermarket cams, I don't want to risk upsetting how the car drives/feels with the RS2.

Golf GTD Mk7

would that be the case with all cams on the RS2 then? I don't know enough to comment fully, but why would the durations on the cams potentially lower the effects of the RS2? Surely when mapped to suit they would run well?

Good decision regardless mate. Wait for the next belt change and chuck some in then followed by some ITB's ;)

53 Clio's & counting

It's not as simple as just a map mate, many different aspects come into play - although the basics of a larger duration camshaft is 'more air in = more power' , there is so much other stuff that has to work with that cam, otherwise it is possible to loose power.When you start playing with engines properly, it is very important to get items that are meant to work together, and as it has not been done before with these cams, it means Ollie would have to take a big chance on they working effectively or not.

Golf GTD Mk7

fair enough Russ. I was always under the impression that more fuel/air = better power. Beyond my rhelms of thinking obviously :)

53 Clio's & counting

you are technically right mate, more air and fuel will give you more power, but inlet runner length does make a huge difference to power and torque + how that power is delivered - ever read people talking about different length itb trumpets? Usually 60mm/90mm/120mm - the different lengths changes things quite a lot - plus when you throw in different camshaft duration, head porting, increasing valves sizes, different exhausts - it all has a huge effect on how the engine runs :)