ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil usage normal amount

Clio sport 182
Hi I have recently bought a 182 and love it, however I have noticed on idle it seems a little bit lumpy but fine when you give throttle input.

I have also noticed that every 500 miles it’s doing half a litre. Don’t get me wrong I expect it to use some, but it seems to be abit excessive. The car does not smoke until your in the higher rpm as in 5500 plus it doesn’t smoke to the point where u can see it coming out the exhaust but there is slight blue haze around the rear.

My questions are:
A) is this normal
B) is there anything that is common to cause this wear? Valves? Piston rings? Etc

I will happily do the work to the car but I need to obviously have some understanding of what can cause this issue or if it’s nornal and to put up with it

Try and run the car on Shell V power for a couple of months as it can clean up the engine and intake valves. My TFSI was using 500ml/500 miles but since switching to V power consumption has reduced dramatically.

Clio sport 182
So basically then I need to rebuild it ? ok challenger excepted what performance enhancements can be done while in the engine obviously port and polishing the head is a must

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lumpy idle is normal. none of mine have used a drop other than my ph1 which used to use about a litre every few thousand miles, never done it any harm infact it was probably the fastest one I had lol.

Renault wont entertain it unless its using more than a litre per 1000 miles for warranty work

PH2 172
Conduct a compression test.

As long as they are even, with a decent reading & the car drives well, I`d just keep topping up the oil as required.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As above, comp test it and if that's okay just keep topping up. Mines just starting to use half a litre or so between oil/filter services now which I do every 6k. 192k on original engine though so think it's entitled to drink a little now!lol!

Clio sport 182
Hi when you say warranty? Do the engines have lifetime warranty then? Don’t understand how a manufacture would give warranty? I am in the motor trade and carrying out a compression test tomorrow hot+cold both wet+dry I’m going use and enjoy it and when it comes to it I will rebuild it when it gets worse.

I have all the resources to do it all in the space of 7 hours including head skimmed so I’m not fussed just wanted to see if it’s normal consumption as I did hear they breathed abit heavy I believe it could be bottom end due to the crank case breather hose being slightly wet with oil wich is feeding back into the throttle body which is also rather wet with oil.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No, they just mean while it’s under warranty it’s acceptable to use a litre of oil every thousand miles.

Yea 7 hours isn't gonna happen. Especially as it breathing heavy points to rings, so you're gonna have to refresh the short block.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need the timing tools from Renault, about £140 but can be had used for £100 ish. Don't bother with the ebay versions.

Need to familiarise yourself with the floating pulley setup on these. The workshop manual is very handy, it's actually an easy process to follow if you follow it to the book, it's just the access to various parts is a nightmare with the engine in the car.

My old 182 used to use oil as regularly as that too. I just kept topping it up and it ran fine, until one day it just popped (at 80k miles). Trouble is, these cars are getting on a bit now and you don't know how it's been treated in its past life.

Clio sport 182
Ok so did a compression test today I have 150-160 between cylinders 1,2 and 3 but cylinder 4 was at 60psi :(
After a wet test I found that cylinder 6 rose to 100.... time for a rebuild.

Clio sport 182
when buying a second hand engine what is the differences between the 172 and 182 what's the engine code difference I believe it is end of the engine code.
can someone please just clarify this for me

Clio sport 182
ok thanks gents I'm going to build the block up on an engine stand and completely start again effectively while I run this other engine into the ground.
if anyone knows what the weak spots are in the 182 engines like arp rod bolts etc and of any stronger things to ensure durability while I'm there that would be appreciated. im not looking to spend thousands and im not wanting forged pistons or rods as that would push the bill up to much.
I just want to know the weaker area of the engines.
but I would like to uprate the Camshafts while in there, where is the best place to get them (links) and what else is required to company the camshafts
I also will do my own head work, port and polish. and I will also rehone the cylinders.(if there not to damaged otherwise will re bore etc)
I also wondered about the dephaser and belt, will fit a new one but Where is best to get one that's decent quality and reasonably priced kit.
plus lightened flywheel/clutch kit

Clio sport 182
Do you know of anyone selling a 182 engine. Cheap as I plan to rip it to shreads and rebuild it Aslong as nothing’s bent or holes in pistons ?