ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak (Pics Inside)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I cleaned this area up about 8weeks ago but its covered in oil again.
I have lots of engine oil in the engine so thats fine but is it suppose to leak like this?
Could it be the Gasket between the engine and gearbox that has gone and therefor needs a new one?
IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Thanks

is it gear oil or engine oil? (presuming gear oil)
the selector shaft isn't far away and that's a common source of gear oil leaks

330i. E30 Touring.
As above.

You won't be getting engine oil leaking there as the bell housing is dry.

Mine's always got oil there, but never loses much.

Just check it when you do your engine oil, just to make sure, but I wouldn't worrry too much.

As above:

If you still had the padded foam on the undertray you would see the indent in it where the selector fork moves right next to the oil patch.

Its not a problem, they virtually all do it, however every 6 months it may be worth topping the box fluid level up to the correct level again.

IMG_3114.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 197 R27 Albi
Same problem dosnt bother me to much. Although it kinda annoys me that my 04 RS leaves oil marks on the drive.

Where is it leaking from though? Seal between the engine & box? Anyone know (As my garage didnt)?

Megane dci 130
Same problem dosnt bother me to much. Although it kinda annoys me that my 04 RS leaves oil marks on the drive.

Where is it leaking from though? Seal between the engine & box? Anyone know (As my garage didnt)?

Normally its the selector shaft seal. There is no gasket between the engine and the box. (no oil in there either for that matter).

TrackCar & F30 330d
This was my thread, I ended up changing my gearbox oil and engine oil, and replacing the sump plugs and replaced the copper washers and its on all clean underneath now.
So yeah it could be to do with the washers?

Golf GTD Mk7
Normally its the selector shaft seal. There is no gasket between the engine and the box. (no oil in there either for that matter).

+1 unless you've got a crack in your box, which it doesn't look like, there isn't anywhere else it could leak from. Presuming your fill and drain plugs are nice and tight. Just keep an eye on the GB oil levels.

Clio 172
Sorry to steal the thread but....

Mine looks horrendous under cogbox, I'm pretty sure the gearbox has never been refilled and its covered in oil, it looks really really bad.

If I were to replace the selector shaft seal would I eliminate the leaking or do they still leak afterwards?

BMW M135i
Nope it'll still leak, what does really really bad look like? If its never been wiped down considering how old the car is then its probably fine. Just check the level and clean it up, never a false economy to actually change the box oil anyway imo.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sorry to steal the thread but....

Mine looks horrendous under cogbox, I'm pretty sure the gearbox has never been refilled and its covered in oil, it looks really really bad.

If I were to replace the selector shaft seal would I eliminate the leaking or do they still leak afterwards?

Yeah mine does too, im pretty worried. Think im going to have to get under there and give it a really good clean. See what I can see. I have checked all levels and they seem fine.

Does anyone know if this is any good as couple of you said you were going to try it? http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=27

RSC 182
I've searched but didnt find anything....

Surprised no one seems to have tried the fix that the auto engineering company TND has developed for this... I'm contemplating trying it on my 182 because there's always (every couple of days) a drop of gearbox oil on my driveway. Mechanic knows it's a big job to fix it so I've been advised to just top it up for now as it's quite a common problem.

anyway so I've found this now
http://www.tnd-france.com/etanche_e.htm

Anyone else tried this? About to try ordering one all the way to Australia :eek:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I've searched but didnt find anything....

Surprised no one seems to have tried the fix that the auto engineering company TND has developed for this... I'm contemplating trying it on my 182 because there's always (every couple of days) a drop of gearbox oil on my driveway. Mechanic knows it's a big job to fix it so I've been advised to just top it up for now as it's quite a common problem.

anyway so I've found this now
http://www.tnd-france.com/etanche_e.htm

Anyone else tried this? About to try ordering one all the way to Australia :eek:

Any ideas on cost?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
54 euros is the price inclusive of postage to Australia - so a bit cheaper for you guys

That's not bad at all, very tempting. You reckon it will be pretty easy to fit? I only have pretty basic tools and axle stands?

Clio 172
Nope it'll still leak, what does really really bad look like? If its never been wiped down considering how old the car is then its probably fine. Just check the level and clean it up, never a false economy to actually change the box oil anyway imo.

Thats a good point actually, probably isn't that bad because its probably been doing it for years, it just looks awful.

I got a few oil leaks to sort on mine, I'm pretty sure the oil breather on the cam cover is leaking into cylinder 3 & 4.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Mine leaks from everywhere. Never seems to drop levels at all but there it always oil leaking. I seem to have a pretty bad one out the back of the engine, onto the manifold (not good). Think its a cam belt off job to fix tho! Gear linkage leaks etc... The drip tray has a pool of oil in it!!

ClioSport182 Kit Racing
up post

I have the same problem as you. I assemble the kit and still the problem TND.

Kit:
mid_7f155d16256c956864ed38bf14b834dd_2vtslro.jpg

mid_20c5536da6bb3f83b8db37582ca39e57_1zdoq3r.jpg

Final Solution:
mid_d90f4e0db3e1c07298e5b2a57266e463_r8gi00.jpg

The leak continues. This product I can do well?

Thanks

PS: sorry for my English :eek:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
by this black screw
mid_96d3bb7a05157d4e979c7f84827f41d0_2ebtqu0.jpg

When oil comes out, I cover the screw.
Its correct?

yeah, on a level surface unscrew the black butterfly style bolt. then stick your finger in to check the level. It should be full up to the hole you have just stuck your finger in, or close to at least. Mine leaks loads and the level is a little under the hole but don't think its anything to worry.

I would imagine you could run the box with only a 1/4 of the oil in and it would be fine, but i wouldn't test it just in case!!!

Clio 182 Trophy
Recently had my gearbox out to replace the selector shaft seal as it was leaking like a sieve (not the usual seeping) the guy I took it to in Southampton had been doing gearboxes for 40 years so knew his stuff.
He stripped the box and on doing so phoned me to have a moan about the seal to which I explained is a known problem. After he had a moan he said he noticed that the 182 box is shared with a volvo (v40 I think) or certainly the casing. Because it is a Volvo the selector shaft seal actually seals so he put a volvo seal in and now no more leaks or seeping.
If anybody wants more details then drop me pm.

Recently had my gearbox out to replace the selector shaft seal as it was leaking like a sieve (not the usual seeping) the guy I took it to in Southampton had been doing gearboxes for 40 years so knew his stuff.
He stripped the box and on doing so phoned me to have a moan about the seal to which I explained is a known problem. After he had a moan he said he noticed that the 182 box is shared with a volvo (v40 I think) or certainly the casing. Because it is a Volvo the selector shaft seal actually seals so he put a volvo seal in and now no more leaks or seeping.
If anybody wants more details then drop me pm.

How much did this cost you?

Mine also leakes..

Rob.

Last edited:
  Clio 197 R27 Albi
I think this is a common leak, although think i know where most of them are leaking from if it helps.

Mine appears to be leaking from the driveshalft seal which fit onto the gearbox. it isnt leaking from the rubber its leaking out of the joint its self.

May help someone? you can buy the new seal for £99 from renalt

Clio 182 Trophy
Rob including rear main oil seal and a new clutch just over £500.
I think the cost for the selector shaft replacement and labour was going to be around £350.

Rob including rear main oil seal and a new clutch just over £500.
I think the cost for the selector shaft replacement and labour was going to be around £350.

Thats the problem there really! As much as I hate it leeking £350 is alot of money and ive checked the level and always mention it at a service and everytime the level is fine.

As been said alot already, they pretty much all do it anyway and so long as the level is ok it aint worth touching it for what it costs to put right.

Rob.