ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox leak where does it come from

Clio 172 Phase 1
Hello I‘m new here on this forum and i‘m new in the clio game

so i noticed that my clio is leaking bright oil, and black oil. Then i saw the bright oil is gearbox oil and the dark oil is engine oil (pictures). Now my question is for the gearbox is is this a damaged seal or is it silicon sealant (the previous owner works at renault and he said if its coming from the gap its silicon sealant) maybe someone already had a same problem.
And now to the black oil leak, the previous owner did the crankshaft seal and now there is oil maybe is it coming from the oil sump?

I hope someone could help me give me advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hi and welcome.

Generally gearbox leaks (bright oil) are from the selector seal. If you’ve never wiped it and that’s as much as you’ve got then I’d say that’s not too bad. Of course the wind blows the oil about so never easy to pin point exactly where it’s coming from.

Given where the darker engine oil is, it could be crankshaft oil seal still leaking, sump gasket, thermostat housing gasket.

Again the wind blows it about.

Do you have a sump guard? And if so, how much oil is in there? Given the age of these cars, it’s difficult to get a non leaking box, although I’ve had one out three in my ownership.

Clio 172 Phase 1
Hi and welcome.

Generally gearbox leaks (bright oil) are from the selector seal. If you’ve never wiped it and that’s as much as you’ve got then I’d say that’s not too bad. Of course the wind blows the oil about so never easy to pin point exactly where it’s coming from.

Given where the darker engine oil is, it could be crankshaft oil seal still leaking, sump gasket, thermostat housing gasket.

Do you have a sump guard? And if so, how much oil is in there? Given the age of these cars, it’s difficult to get a non leaking box, although I’ve had one out three in my ownership.
Hello thanks for your productive awnser😄

i already wiped the gearbox and its leaking like that not leaking liters but a little bit always. and its always wet on this point.

i have a sump guard it was full woth oil thats why i putted it down to watch where and how much oil comes from.

i could accept if its wet but droping oil makes me stomach hurt.

Clio 172 Phase 1
Hi and welcome.

and i also think its not coming from the selector seal because its only wet after i drove when i wipe it and the car stands its not wet there. i mean i could be weong but yes.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They always leak from the selector seal, just a bad design. Most people keep an eye on it and top the gearbox oil up when servicing the car.

You'll need to clean the box and engine off with plenty of degreaser, then get under the car and see where the fresh oil is actually coming from.

Clio 172 Phase 1
They always leak from the selector seal, just a bad design. Most people keep an eye on it and top the gearbox oil up when servicing the car.

You'll need to clean the box and engine off with plenty of degreaser, then get under the car and see where the fresh oil is actually coming from.
i did and its coming from there where the drops are maybe i could see when gearbox is out