ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM 182 Cup Suspension Or Cheap Coilovers

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Another common suspension question I'm afraid, but I know you all like to help a fellow member in need :smile:

My car's going to need a full suspension refresh as it's not really handing as well as it should be. The rear feels a little loose and the steering doesn't seem to be as accurate as I would think it should be and can be quite unpredictable in some of it's movement. This is where I get stuck as I'm not sure what to do.

I could buy a cheap set of coilovers for around the £350 mark (I really can't afford to go any more than this at the moment) but I've read so many mixed reviews on here I'm doubting that's the way to go. The other thing I could do is buy new OEM struts/springs and other bits and go that way.

The car is cup packed 182 and will be used for a a good few track days a year, but will also be used on random drives and trips back to work etc...

What would you buy? OEM parts or cheap coilovers?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Also, if OEM is the way to go, where's the best place to buy Cup shocks and springs as well as everything else that may be needed please?

Or would cup shocks go better with some Cooksport springs?

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Oe, bought a pair of new front 182 Cup shocks for the Trophy as one of the Sachs started to leak £83.00 delivered. The originals have done over 10 years which is good going over all, new genuine front wishbones are about £104.00 delivered for the pair so probably the best way to go ;-).

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
That's what I've been thinking to be honest. You always (well, nearly always) get what you pay for so I guess cheap coilovers will just end up being a bit crap. It's something that I can invest in over time as well.

Where did you order your parts from Karlos?

dan's cast offs.
well funnily enough i've got a pair of front dampers here and h&r springs and new top mounts and powerflex purple and black wishbone bushes and black arb bushes that i could do you a good deal on fitted:wink:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
new cup dampers and go for h&r springs.

Thanks bloke, that does sound like it could be a plan. I've got H&R springs on the Evo (and although they've caused the dampers to knock) and they seem to have improved the handling slightly.

Is it worth doing anything with the top mounts? Swapping to fresh Renault parts?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
well funnily enough i've got a pair of front dampers here and h&r springs and new top mounts and powerflex purple and black wishbone bushes and black arb bushes that i could do you a good deal on fitted:wink:

Lmao, that sounds like it could work. How much would you be looking at? PM me if you prefer please? How new are the cup dampers?

I've booked the car in for an early MOT on Saturday (2 months early!) just so I can get a proper list of things that need replacing, so I think I'll want to replace all of the rubbers as well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have oe dampers and h@r springs. Very good set up for road. Imo I think they would be 'okay' on a trackday but as a dedicated setup i would opt for b14's or bc coilovers

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
From someone who has gone down the cheap coilover route in the past, I wouldn't recommend them.

Manufacturers spend hundreds of £thousands developing the suspension components for their vehicles, so unless you're spending a significant amount of money on an established brand (Ohlins, KW etc), I would go for OEM with reputable uprated springs all day long.