ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

O2 broadband sold to SKY

dk

911 GTS Cab
Not sure about this, I went with O2 because it was BE and they are known for excellent customer service and speeds and no traffic shaping.

now it will be sky from April time apparently, who also supposedly do unlimited broadband, I hope there's also no traffic shaping in the evenings. Ive been very happy with my O2 BB for the past 4 years, just signed up for another 12 months too.

anyone else worried about what might happen?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know anything about the details of the sale? Curious as to whether Sky bought it because it was doing well and wanted a slice of the pie, or if they bought it because it was going cheap because it's not doing very well?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Do you know anything about the details of the sale? Curious as to whether Sky bought it because it was doing well and wanted a slice of the pie, or if they bought it because it was going cheap because it's not doing very well?
Can read about it here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/ne...and-be-broadband-and-fixed-line-business.html

as said, O2 want to concentrate on next gen mobile systems, the prices they are charging for broadband now (I've just signed up for £6.25 a month for unlimited 20meg broadband, so there's not much money in it these days compared to phone contract prices) are so low though.

2014 Focus Titanium
Well I'm with sky broadband and I can confirm there is no shaping with newsgroups, but I don't know about p2p downloading as I don't do it. YouTube gets shaped a bit but I can still watch a 1080p video without having to wait.

What I like about it is it's truly unlimited, I've done 200GB in a month before and not seen a dip in performance. Admittedly I am only on 12mb though.

So are Be still in the Market ? i was with them for years because they were so good but folded in the end and went to infinity as i wanted the speed and BE were holding back on a fibre product :( (and still are)

I have to say i would not want to be any where near Sky ....

i worked in the industry supporting a backbone network around europe and into the USA and i know what the big players are like ,

sad day for O2 customers

2014 Focus Titanium
I'm with o2 bb and its pretty poor for online gaming! :(

Mine was terrible with O2, pings of 200! I complained to the ISPA and got out of my contract early without penalty because they weren't offering me a good service. I then went to Sky and have never looked back.

Bumder With A Buffer
Not sure about this, I went with O2 because it was BE and they are known for excellent customer service and speeds and no traffic shaping.

now it will be sky from April time apparently, who also supposedly do unlimited broadband, I hope there's also no traffic shaping in the evenings. Ive been very happy with my O2 BB for the past 4 years, just signed up for another 12 months too.

anyone else worried about what might happen?

Im on SKY after being with BT and they are a LOT better.

I have never seen a dip in speed at peak times. Although I do currently have a fault on my phone line but thats technically Openreach problem. Just make sure your local exchange is actually LLU'd out to SKY.

The inly time there are issues with SKY is when the exchange is not LLU'd to them, so even though you pay SKY a line rental they dont have any of their own DSLAMS or other kit in the exchange and just rent it off BT, so you may as well just go with BT in that respect. We sell test equipment to SKY and they actually have staff who care about their jobs it would seem. Most of the BT guys really dont give a fcuk. Slightly off topic there maybe

I'm with Sky. Have been a couple of years now. Never had a problem. Can play Xbox Live with no problems, stream YouTube videos in HD no problem etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Mine was terrible with O2, pings of 200! I complained to the ISPA and got out of my contract early without penalty because they weren't offering me a good service. I then went to Sky and have never looked back.
Was that on the llu line though? I have an amazing ping for gaming on O2, not that I really game.

I can't fault the service I've had over the past 3 years, when there's been an outage, they've texted me to let me know, then texted me again when it was fixed, was only down for about an hour I think.

Their customer service is good too, UK based and always quick to answer the phone.

I guess they can't change my contract until it runs out, but I just fear the service will go down.

Bumder With A Buffer
If it does im sure you would be well within your rights to cancel you would think??

SKY centres are UK too?? Just happen to be in Scottyland so you canny understand the fookers....id rather talk to BT's Indian call centres. :eek: ;)

Clio 200 Raider
I'll be moving ISPs ASAP (am currently with BE)

Im the same, sad day for BE customers. I loved their service going to sky will just be inferior and less personal as these companies tend to be the bigger they get. I remember the technical guys a few years back giving me very technical settings for a router i had saying they dnt officially support it but these are the settings anyway. Lol can you imagine sky doing that.
Customer service i always found great too.txt you when service may be down etc. dam shame!

No idea who i will go with!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If it does im sure you would be well within your rights to cancel you would think??

SKY centres are UK too?? Just happen to be in Scottyland so you canny understand the fookers....id rather talk to BT's Indian call centres. :eek: ;)

Indian call centre's, so pretty much any call centre south of carlisle?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm with BE at the moment, will be moving house end of the year so will see what services are available in the new place. Think the exchange we'll be on has BT fibre/infinity or whatever it's called.

No point doing anything until then really.

Rav4
I keep on getting emails/text messages that the o2 network is going to be upgraded.

However, when you try and find out more information as to what it is being upgraded to, there isn't anything available.

I presume they are moving all of the customers from o2 over to sky by June and that is what they mean by that.

I think I will move to plus.net on their fibre offering without a phone line and have SIP as the home number.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Id be very afraid if my ISP was sold to Sky, its abysmal here. Fortunately, Virgin 100mb is been re-installed tomorrow :)

Rav4
Ooooh that sounds good. I think I'll look into that!

Yap, if your handsets at home support it, great. If not, you can use your iPhone/Samsung/whatever with your sip client.

Or, install elastix on a home server or whatever :D