ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number Plate Spacing

Mk4 .:R32
I'm looking at gettin a personalised numerplate and I've found a ok one thats pretty cheap. I've heard you can space the characters so it looks more like the desired name or word. Has anyone here had it done, and have you been pulled by the police for it??

Chocolate Bar™
mine is all pushed together so it reads M15DDO in the middle of the plate. never been pulled specifically because of the plate. but when i did last get tugged it was mentioned to me it should be changed.

I've found S7 EGN and want to get it spaced so it says S7E GN (cos I'm called steven green) thought thats pretty good for 250

Mustang, S13, AX GT
dependant on the police in your area but they are illegal and you can get done ,
What he said. Theres a guy I work with who's got is numberplate squished together and his wheels stick out the side of his car. He's not been pulled over and even passed the MOT like that!?

Chocolate Bar™
depends on how you have arranged it. mine is just pushed together, so i dont feel its a big issue. however if you really start to play with them and manipulate the characters with dots etc. your asking for trouble. my old car passed its MOT with the same numberplate so cant be too bad.

I'm just gonna do it I think. Does anyone know where to get a 3/4 sized front plate?
Totally off subject but does anyone know of any decent companies which could refurb my wheels and paint them gun metal?

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
£30 quid fine and NO points if your pulled for them......but 3 strikes by the pigs and you get points, that is the system most police across the country use i belive

I suppose S7E GN doesn't look obviously spaced as opposed to to numberplates spaced to make one word.

I'm looking at gettin a personalised numerplate and I've found a ok one thats pretty cheap. I've heard you can space the characters so it looks more like the desired name or word. Has anyone here had it done, and have you been pulled by the police for it??

Who on earth told you that ??? It's bs.
Anything other that the correct spacing (and lettering) is illegal, it just depends on the police whether of not they wanna pull you for it.

If in doubt check out the dvla website for the rules on number plates.

I will however await a post on here for you getting pulled for mis-spacing the plate ;)

Cupped 182 with Recaros

Who on earth told you that ??? It's bs.
Anything other that the correct spacing (and lettering) is illegal, it just depends on the police whether of not they wanna pull you for it.

If in doubt check out the dvla website for the rules on number plates.

I will however await a post on here for you getting pulled for mis-spacing the plate ;)

^fact^

my plate was spaced like the one you want for 2 years, 3-2 instead of 2-3 and nobody cared.

the police pulled me over for erratic driving, and read out my plate on their walkie talky to HQ and still didnt spot it.

im a good boy now the plates on the 182, its staying spaced 2-3.

clio extreme3
Hi, I have been driving my car on the road for just over a year now and my number plate is quite illegal my plate is Y25 0PH but my boyfriend got it spaced like Y2 SOPH the space is massive and the 5 well its an s really and it says sophia underneath in big writing and I havent been pulled once! But then maybe its becuase im female?;)
I say go for it the worse thing they can do is tell you to get it changed just act dumb and pretend you didnt know im sure you will be fine look at how many cars you see each day with dodgy plates!

^
i'll await your post on here as well, when you do eventually get pulled for it;)

Plus i'd love to see it pass an mot with that plate on it, it will fail.

One other thing acting dumb about the spacing etc is no excuse.

clio extreme3
Thanks 4 the advice CAT but do u mind if I dont take it im old and wise enough to make my own decisions sweetie x ;)

fUbAr loving the car I have an extreme 3 1.2 in exactly the same coller, Looks great in the sun!
Changing it in the summer though gotta get me a convertible!

Thanks 4 the advice CAT but do u mind if I dont take it im old and wise enough to make my own decisions sweetie x ;)

Lol - do what you like it's your car, just don't come on here moaning like everyone else when you get pulled for it ;)

RenaultMegane 1.9dCi
My mate recently got pulled, he has Jap spec plates on his civic (Square plates, in a rectangle recess), He had also recently passed his MOT with them on. Policeman said number plates aren't anything to do with MOT.

My mate recently got pulled, he has Jap spec plates on his civic (Square plates, in a rectangle recess), He had also recently passed his MOT with them on. Policeman said number plates aren't anything to do with MOT.

you can fail the mot on a cracked number plates too , so mr policeman is wrong

Banana
The rules are simple- legal sized plate, legal font, legal sized font, legal spacing, legal background, legal borders. Anything else is illegal, and that's that. It's up to the individual if you wish to change any of the above, but if you do, expect the fine sooner or later. I have been done 3 times for misrepresentation (a screw in the wrong place), £30 fine each time and I now risk losing my private registration mark, but that's my own fault and I fully accept that. Pleading ignorance does'nt work.

megane
ive got mine alll pushed together to say 1 word,no bolts goin thru r nothin though, i got mine done in irish size i believe it is as its slightly smaller, only really notice wen parked nxt to a normal reg, but does look btr in my opinion lol
never been pulled but did have a piggy lol lookin at it once never stoped me though, been on 2 years, my neighbour is doin my mot in a week r so an has said just to cover his ass change them, which im not fussed about as hes doin it with his staff discount lol :)

RenaultMegane 1.9dCi
you can fail the mot on a cracked number plates too , so mr policeman is wrong

Yeah that would make sense. However I also passed my MOT with Shortened F banded metal plates, and with my previous car with 'S4Y YO' on. Not getting into a debate about it as I don't no the law, just sharing my experience.

clio extreme3
To be honest I think if people wanna do stuff with their plates then thats their choice I live literally 5 secs away from the cop shop never been looked at twice 4 my plates, if u really wanna do it and ur prepared to put your hands up if u do get pulled then do, Its hardly crime of the century and i dont think it carries the death sentence:dead: There are bigger things in life to worry about afterall.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If his car is an import he can legally use import (jap style) plates.
Some-one also said the maximum is a £30 fine, a few times caught and points on your licence. Its a £30 on the spot fine or a trip to court with a maximum fine of £1000 for illegal plates hence me taking off my illegal plates and putting legal plates back on. I read through all kinds of stuff about plates as I had mine altered using show plates and its really not worth the risk IMO.

you may know it, clio?
still waiting to put my on my car buts

my name is max grossman so

i've got M8 XYG = M8XY G