ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not starting anymore?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok so i was out in the clio on wednesday night. everything was perfect. went home and went to work on thursday, came back and went to go out again...

turned the key and nothing happened. the car is dead :/

its making a weird ticking noise which is coming from the ECU by the sounds of it and the relay box is making a noise too (not sure if thats normal)

the battery is fine, plenty power in it. tried jumping it but nothing happened.

no warning lights or anything.

it done this sort of thing before and renault blamed the starter, so its got a pretty much brand new starter on it, ive tried the TDC sensor aswell but that doesnt help.

sorry if thats a s**t description but meh, i dont really know anything about engines :dapprove:

any help/advice would be great, thanks.

e92 330i
Mine does this, will work for a week then just one day not turn on, batterys fine etc, might be immobiliser? Check the red dot goes out when you turn the key.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
yeah ive checked this. i had problems with the immobilier before, had to put the key in and turn the ignition on and press the lock button 4 times which sorted it. its not the same as that this time though.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The car is turning over now and its trying to start but its as if something is stopping it. Any help?

e92 330i
Ah right I've got the exact same problem ATM mate. I'll try that one but I don't think mines the immobiliser either! One min it starts then today it just doesn't, bloody French cars lol.

e92 330i
Ah ha! Crank shaft sensor! Gave it a wiggle, started first time. Worth swapping over for all of £12.

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Bet it started to act weird when hot and worked better if you let it cool down...but when it dies it is really difficult for the engine to catch up and run...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
yeah mines pretty fucked i'd say, been sitting now since wednesday night and still wont start...

going to renault on monday!

might be worth checking the temperature sensor, had a problem on a saxo with it earlier, would run get hot and cut out and not start until it had cooled down

Ive never looked for one on the clio but if its anything like the saxo then it will be above the bell housing and behind where the thermostat is.

Ill go have a look on mine later and let you know

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers, car got towed to renault earlier and managed to bump start it but when it got to the garage it sounded pretty dead :/ just have to wait and see what theysay tomorrow. Ill let you know what they say it is!!

1.5dci
- i have this issue sometimes with mine - got a lose connection after having a new starter in dec, so every so often i make sure they aint come loose ( theres like this little white wire on mine that looks like an earth - its just a push on clip )

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
turns out its the earthstrap coming from the gearbox.

car is getting done tomorrow, they also say i need new brakes, bushed and ABS rings. total cost of 500+.

just getting the earth for now :)