ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not impressed with 172 handling??

im currently unhappy with my 02 clio 172. i havent had the car long but im still not impressed or filled with confidence with its handling. it rides on 17's and is not lowered. I find that it wants to loose its ass end when i push it and the ride quality is compromised because of the size of the wheels. normally i would sacrifice ride quality for handling but as these wheels arent giving me anything i want to change them, wich brings me to my questions.

If i change to 15's and lower it will ride quality be worse than what it is now on 17's?

Im not going to change to 16's so what would you say is my best option.

15's and lowered?? or 15's and not lowered?

Why not put it on 16s as that's what was on there originally? Just a question, not saying you should.

Also, don't forget the conditions atm (not sure where you are though) and what tyres are you using? A good set of tyres makes a world of difference on these cars (I know from experience).

M2 Competition
What tyres/ tyre pressures are you running front and rear?

Id go for standard suspension or eibach sportline springs and 16's as the best handling combo fella.

i must admit they are budget tyres. I dont think grip is the problem, the car just feels off balance, jumpy as if its not happy at the height its riding on. sorry i cant be a little more specific. im basing my judgement on previous cars ive had that werent lowered. ive been in a corsa gsi and a 106 gti that were on 17's then put on 15's and the difference was huge. lowering the clio on 17's is not an option as it would be to hard

M2 Competition
Tyres will make the single biggest difference to your car. They're the only thing connecting you and the road. Everything you do in a car - brake, steer, accelerate, all goes through your tyres.

Get some contisports/ michelin pe2's, and some 16" alloys, and run the tyres at 32 psi front, 30 rear.

You dont need to change the suspension, or go down to 15's.

M2 Competition
Yes.

Have run 15's, 16's and 17's on clio's, with about 8 different makes of tyre, standard sus, different lowering springs, shocks and springs and coilovers.

so you would advise 195/45/16 on standard suspension?? for the best balance between handling and ride quality? what would you advise for handling only?

M2 Competition
Aye, id go for decent 195/45 r16's with standard sus.

If you like that but want it to corner a bit tighter and sit a little lower, you could always get a set of eibach sportlines in the future.

Have you tried the bounce test to see if your shocks are knackered?

M2 Competition
Circa £100, will drop the front about 20mm, the rear about 10mm, but stiffen the ride into corners.

Theyre a progressive spring, so ride quality isnt affected too much.

And yus, simple but either put weight and let go at all four corners, or go over a few speed bumps. If the car bounces around too much, your shocks are knackered.

CLIO SPORT 172
Must be honest i have 17 inch alloys on my 172 and its the worst thing i ever did it handles like F*****G S**T, i am trying to get hold of a standard set again now.

Do not put 17s on your car ever BIG MISTAKE if you do.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
1stly, do u have proof your car has never been in acident?
its prolly now straight if you dont.
check for uneven tyre wear.

cheap tyres are a no no,

if your getting the back end out your taking your foot off the accelerator, if you just kept it planted it woulndt do that, i bet. ;)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Must be honest i have 17 inch alloys on my 172 and its the worst thing i ever did it handles like F*****G S**T, i am trying to get hold of a standard set again now.

Do not put 17s on your car ever BIG MISTAKE if you do.

I'll bear that in mind. Been asking questions recently. Considering 17's.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
im currently unhappy with my 02 clio 172. i havent had the car long but im still not impressed or filled with confidence with its handling. it rides on 17's and is not lowered. I find that it wants to loose its ass end when i push it and the ride quality is compromised because of the size of the wheels. normally i would sacrifice ride quality for handling but as these wheels arent giving me anything i want to change them, wich brings me to my questions.

If i change to 15's and lower it will ride quality be worse than what it is now on 17's?

Im not going to change to 16's so what would you say is my best option.

15's and lowered?? or 15's and not lowered?

I find that when I push my 182 Cup understeer is gradual. When pushed harder in understeer depending on the angle of the apex the back becomes looser in it's grip. Oversteer is near.

Sounds like the 17" rims have accentuated the bad traits of the Clio's poise and balance.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Ive found mine understeers very easy, never really experienced it so bad, my saxo seemed to eat corners that the clio struggles with which suprised me a heck of alot because ive been in plenty of clios that seem to defy physics at the amount of speed they carry into corners. In all fairness im not used to the car and my saxo was on coilovers, as said, tyres and smaller wheels, correct psi and your away.

diesel-power. my 106 gti was the same. there is now way my clio would out handle my mates 106 gti. 17's are bad. Im just very surprised that 16's are better than 15's???