ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(NOT) Diesel in a 182 - Electrical issues??

Chelsea tractor
Re: Diesel in a 182

Diesel has oil in it does it not? I think that may be what's causing all the black s**te, my exhaust tips are filthy! :dapprove:
Diesel just contains longer carbon chains than petrol ;) It's not oil, although diesels tend to burn more oil; that may be where you got that from ;)

Da

Less

Well, changed the precat O2 sensor today, which was a very simple task in all honesty. I plan on testing the old sensor tomorrow with my multimeter to confirm that it was indeed faulty.

The difference in the car was instant, idles much better and is no longer kicking out black crap from the exhaust.

I'm not going to say it has 100% cured my problem until after I've road tested the car tomorrow, but it has definitely improved things and I'm quietly confident.

:)

Da

Less

At present, no as there is no concrete proof that their fue was contaminated other than what I was told by the RAC.

Once I get to the bottom of the issue I will be back in touch with the garage if needed.

Honda & VW

about 18months ago i had put a deposit down on the Integra that i susequently bought. I went to pick it up early in the morning before work (about 7am).
Got it in and checked the fuel guage, was on just under quarter of a tank, which would have been plenty to get me home but i was planning on having a bit of fun on the way home so decided to put some more fuel in.
I literally drove a few hundred meters to a petrol staion where i foolishly poured in £20 worth of Diesel.

Needless to say the car would not fire up and long story short i had to get my recovery people to come pick it up on a flatbed lorry and drop it off at my mates garage where he drained all the derv and replaced the fuel filter and put in a fresh tank of Vpower.

Felt like such an absolute Tw*t

Da

Less

Still no better :dapprove:

Car runs and idles fine for the first 10/15 minutes after initial start up but ones the car is upto temperature it's like someone flicks a switch and bang it's back to missing, spluttering and cutting out.

Didn't put it into Renault on Friday in the end as I wanted to change the O2 sensor first, but looks like I might have to now. :(

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER

about 18months ago i had put a deposit down on the Integra that i susequently bought. I went to pick it up early in the morning before work (about 7am).
Got it in and checked the fuel guage, was on just under quarter of a tank, which would have been plenty to get me home but i was planning on having a bit of fun on the way home so decided to put some more fuel in.
I literally drove a few hundred meters to a petrol staion where i foolishly poured in £20 worth of Diesel.

Needless to say the car would not fire up and long story short i had to get my recovery people to come pick it up on a flatbed lorry and drop it off at my mates garage where he drained all the derv and replaced the fuel filter and put in a fresh tank of Vpower.

Felt like such an absolute Tw*t

How did you manage to fit the diesel nozzle in?

172 with k-tec sound

Still no better :dapprove:

Car runs and idles fine for the first 10/15 minutes after initial start up but ones the car is upto temperature it's like someone flicks a switch and bang it's back to missing, spluttering and cutting out.

Didn't put it into Renault on Friday in the end as I wanted to change the O2 sensor first, but looks like I might have to now. :(

this is indeed bad news daz,:(did u test the old sensor?

Da

Less

Haven't been able to test the old sensor yet, but it think that's probably irrelevant now seen as the car is still pretty much the same.

172 with k-tec sound

wtf can it be then, what about the after cat sensor, are they universal, can u repalce the after cat sensor with the old pre cat one?

Da

Less

I could yeah but it wouldn't achieve anything as the post cat sensor is purely to monitor the fumes after the cat, it doesn't control anything to do with engine management.

The sensors are both identical on the 182.

Da

Less

I doubt thte cat has failed as that wouldn't affect the car's management surely?

I'm not sure how the RS Tuner map could go wrong really?

172 with k-tec sound

no true just a couple of ideas i thought of. is a shame u still dont have ur tuner as then u could of flashed the old map back on just to check

Da

Less

I know, I'm thinking of buying another if only for the diagnostics tool. Would be handy at the moment.

172 with k-tec sound

yeah true lol. on a side note just found this list of cat related probs.

1. Tachometer
  2. Decreased engine power indicated by low revolutions per minute on the tachometer is a symptom of a bad catalytic converter.Acceleration
  3. Another sign of decreased engine power is hesitating or bucking when the driver tries to accelerate.Driving Uphill
  4. The car may also seem to lose some power when going uphill.Temperature
  5. If the engine runs hotter than usual although the cooling system is up to par, that also may indicate catalytic converter problems.Exhaust
  6. Any black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe may be a symptom of a bad catalytic converter.Smell
  7. A failing catalytic converter can cause a rich fuel mixture that makes the exhaust smell like rotten eggs from the hydrogen sulfide.Check Engine Light
  8. Any of these symptoms along with the "Check Engine" light coming on is an even greater indicator of a catalytic converter problem.

Da

Less

Interesting.
Might be an idea worth looking into then.

Shame I don't still have my decat!

172 with k-tec sound

im sure u could source one from somewhere, but then postage is gonna be a problem, need someone close so u can borrow it lol

Da

Less

Yeah, you keep Lee talking and I'll swap them, lol! ;)

Can source one no probs, and if it doesn't cure it then I'll just sell it on :)

Da

Less

Yeah runs a constant 70-75 from memory, never had any issue in that department.

Didn't even get the EML light on until very recently.

Da

Less

Yeah they're very strange. Causing me quite a headache to be honest!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

No way is that a Cat problem. No chance.

You've changed the important 02, the upstream. And the post-Cat one does f*ck all really. Mine's un-plugged. So that's a no.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Seems like a temprature problem to me, if its running fine when cold...... seem to remember early 182's having sensor issues?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Have you unplugged the fuel rail? Constant pressure? Injector problem?

As Gaz said too, check the coolant temp sensor too. Might be worth buying a new one to try, since the problem cures itself on cold idle.

Da

Less

I haven't no Chris, to be honest with this weather it's difficult to do anything to the car.

When you say unplugged the fuel rail, what exactly do you mean?
Looked at the injector problem but discounted that as it seems to be temperature related? :S

Mine is a mid, well mid 2005, 182 so where is the coolant temp sensor?

Cheers for all the help/ideas so far :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I'll try and find a picture of mine for you mate.

As for the fuelling, you can un-clip the fuel line going into the rail. It's the offside end of the rail, it run pops out. I doubt it's that though, or it wouldn't run at all.

Da

Less

Cheers fella.

Just looking at sensors now on the net - seem relatively inexpensive so might as well replace it to take it out of the equation.

M

mini-valver

Unplug the coolant temp sensor, if the fan runs then it'll more than likely be ok but its definately worth throwing a coolant temp sensor at it if its only a warm running fault!

Da

Less

Will do, if someone can point me to it in the bay ;)

Ordering a new one as we speak.

Da

Less

New coolant temperature sensor is on it's way and ordered an RS Tuner too as this may help shed some light on the issue :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

If you want to borrow my RSTuner for diagnostic's your more than welcome to, will probably take a while for delivery from fastchip.

Da

Less

Cheers mate, it's not from Fastchip though as he's out of stock.

I should have it tomorrow if everything goes to plan :)

M

mini-valver

Sensor is on the side of the coolant gallery. Right hand side of the engine as you look at it, just aove the gearbox.